popot.org

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: popot.org

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

David wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:06 am Norbert posted the changes to the database and the source, here: viewtopic.php?p=32724#p32724 (tags.txt under the tweet)
I didn't download the file.
David wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:06 am The means that to increase the limit, all the new code has to be changed.
Well, it's not that difficult, you just need to alter the table adding four more columns, and now that some mods have three tags, you might just want to allow other four tags to be nullable. Then the code can be changed slowly, as you get time.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:06 amI agree that this is not the best way to do this.
Yo. That is, going by the assumption that flexibility was the intention, and preferred choice, here. Or should have been. As an experienced web programmer, I am, of course, familiar enough with database modelling to know about associative tables - and how to use them. In this case, I deliberately limited the number of tags to three; by design. The goal is to have mod authors select (only) the tags most relevant to - descriptive of - their mods. Not for each mod to be tagged by whichever description somewhat fits, nor for the tags to hold all mods that one might say potentially fit into their categories. I don't want to fear that adding new tags contributes to - comes with the risk of - mod pages being flooded with them. Particularly given that, these days, mod authors submit and modify their own mods, and (thus) pick these tags. Tags are being added subjectively, and this limitation decreases the probability of unapplicable tags being added, because tags that clearly apply have a greater chance of being selected. I am aware that this means e.g. "sdlpop" may not hold all SDLPoP mods, but that was never my (the?) intention.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: April 18th, 2021, 4:02 pm In this case, I deliberately limited the number of tags to three; by design.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

People (mostly new users or spam users) are uploading the empty ZIP files. Check this: 0000257.
There should definitely be a check for whether the ZIP file contains at least the required files or not.

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Is the submit.php file for submitting file not there? I got a 404 error while submitting a mod. Norbert can you please check?

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:36 amI got a 404 error [...]
When reporting bugs, it's generally a good idea to provide the full, exact error message. Please provide me with the full, exact error message. Then I will look into the issue. Thank you.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: August 4th, 2021, 1:15 pm
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:36 amI got a 404 error [...]
When reporting bugs, it's generally a good idea to provide the full, exact error message. Please provide me with the full, exact error message. Then I will look into the issue. Thank you.
So I clicked submit mod and I'm on this page after logging in. I've entered all the info and after clicking on Submit I get this error above the submit button: "Error calling submit.php."
And from the network log, the request is getting sent but no response from the server. And if I go to the submit.php page manually I get 404 not found in the title and a page with the body as "404 Not Found You may submit mods".

Hope that was helpful?

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:03 pmHope that was helpful?
Honestly, not really.

Anyway, I went through the submission process with your account, using your ZIP file, and it works for me:
https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000261

My suggestion now is for you to modify that mod page, until it's as you want it to be.
That is, add screenshots, fix incorrect values I entered, etc.
Will this work as a solution/workaround?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:19 am As per the request of princeomkar I've changed his username to Akruzen.
On PoPOT, his two mods are under two different usernames:
https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000162
https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000262

Maybe the older mod should be moved to his new name?
But discuss it with him first.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: August 28th, 2021, 10:38 amMaybe the older mod should be moved to his new name?
Yes. I've just made that change.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Unfortunately, for personal reasons, I cannot remain owner and webmaster of PoPOT (popot.org). :( If anyone is interested in taking over the website, let me know. As you know, as of respectively December 2020 and January 2021, authors can submit and edit their own mods. This means a new owner/webmaster would have limited work. If there are no takers before July 11th, I'll shut down the website that day.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: June 24th, 2022, 1:24 pm If anyone is interested in taking over the website, let me know.
Hey, I could help keeping the website alive. Let me know in PM what we need to do exactly.

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I really hope the site stays alive. It is the place to go for prince mods.

Unfortunately, I have never programmed in PHP and do not have the time to learn it.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: June 24th, 2022, 6:35 pm[...] what we need to do exactly.
I'd have to transfer the domain ownership to someone. This person would need to find and pay for a domain registration + hosting package, at an internet content provider. Next, I would make available for download the database and files, and provide links to these to the new domain owner. When it comes to updating pages, most are simple, easily modifiable HTML, within a PHP framework that can stay as-is.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: June 25th, 2022, 12:03 am I'd have to transfer the domain ownership to someone. This person would need to find and pay for a domain registration + hosting package, at an internet content provider. Next, I would make available for download the database and files, and provide links to these to the new domain owner. When it comes to updating pages, most are simple, easily modifiable HTML, within a PHP framework that can stay as-is.
Seems like I can handle that.