Nastier Dungeons

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Nastier Dungeons

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

YURA wrote: September 15th, 2021, 11:08 am Yes, it's better to record a normal video and show this video!
Sorry, it's just too much to attach the video... just do what I'm saying, change the SDLPoP.ini file to point it to the mod and then run the file.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 2:23 pm
YURA wrote: September 15th, 2021, 11:08 am Yes, it's better to record a normal video and show this video!
Sorry, it's just too much to attach the video... just do what I'm saying, change the SDLPoP.ini file to point it to the mod and then run the file.
strange, is 1 minute of video a lot for you???? Can someone else show this video?!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

YURA wrote: September 15th, 2021, 4:35 pm
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 2:23 pm
strange, is 1 minute of video a lot for you???? Can someone else show this video?!
Modification of SDLPoP.ini is not necessary.

Simply do this:
Norbert wrote: September 14th, 2021, 5:12 pmBefore playing back the replay, you must add a directory "Nastier Dungeons" which includes the mod inside the mods/ directory.
That is:
1. Unzip 0000255.zip to SDLPoP/mods/
2. Rename
SDLPoP/mods/0000255/
to
SDLPoP/mods/Nastier Dungeons/
3. Start SDLPoP and watch the replay.
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

A good trick is to publish it on the site. And my beginning is level 4 and this trick.

Only the first 35 seconds are the beginning of level 4.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Thanks for including the video, you can try Level 5 now ;)

YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 3:12 pm Thanks for including the video, you can try Level 5 now ;)
Level 5 is almost passed....we'll post a video tomorrow...
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Level 5 is passed!!! And the final! Be careful - I had to re-pass level 5... forgot to knock down the tile in room 24.... the level is difficult, as always, technique and tricks are required...
The ending is very original (the shadow helps to open the gate)...
Perfectly made MOD-255. Thanks to the author!!! Still the same, but more levels!
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

How did the shadow grab the ledge at 1:12? Is it because the player was holding Shift?
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

dmitry_s wrote: September 18th, 2021, 12:11 am How did the shadow grab the ledge at 1:12? Is it because the player was holding Shift?
I think because the shadow presses Shift as soon as it runs into the room so it's just a side effect of that. There's more to that.
YURA wrote: September 17th, 2021, 10:37 pm Level 5 is passed!!! [video]
Excellent on passing those levels! :)
Seems like I'll have to spend more time to do more of these ;)

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 3:50 am Because the shadow presses Shift as soon as it runs into the room so it's just a side effect of that. There's
Right, he probably is trying to pickup the potion. You just made the timings work. Nice.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote: September 14th, 2021, 5:12 pm Before playing back the replay, you must add a directory "Nastier Dungeons" which includes the mod inside the mods/ directory.

I don't know why this is necessary. As I've written before, and recently, and someone else then sided with my thinking: I thought replay files included the level layouts and therefore do not require SDLPoP to have access to the relevant mods. If I remember correctly, I pointed Falcury to my previous post on this topic via a private message, but he didn't respond. Maybe it's related to PRINCE.EXE modifications?
The replay files contain the "game state" as of the moment the recording is started. This includes the level layout of the level that has been loaded at that time. However, once new data has to be loaded from disk (e.g., the next level), SDLPoP will (blindly) transition to the next level from disk, because that data is not stored in the replay file.

To address this limitation, I guess one solution would be to add a new 'event' / 'special move' to the stream of moves in the replay file (maybe call it 'load resource'); basically, you could make it so every time the game loads a new resource (mostly at level transitions), you would do a binary diff against the 'default' (i.e. the vanilla resource), and if the resource is different (e.g., a modded level), then the resource data itself (or only the diff, to save on file size) is embedded into the replay stream.

I guess you could do the same for graphics or other resources that have been modified, at the start of the replay (these are not part of the "game state" and are therefore also not stored as part of the replay).