Run, Prince! Run!

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Run, Prince! Run!

Post by Norbert »

Run, Prince! Run!
This modification turns the game into an auto-runner. The prince automatically runs to the left. Press the up arrow key at the correct moments to survive and reach the level exits.
Five levels, for now.
Can not be played with SDLPoP.
https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000237
(Feel free to mention it on Facebook. ;))
Attachments
Run_Prince_Run.zip
(325.21 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Run, Prince! Run!

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Nice. Will mention and try it. [Edit: Mentioned here.]

Edit: Not mentioned on Twitter?

I would have liked if it could have been played with SDLPoP. I want Quicksaves and Quickloads :(
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Great job! Not having Quicksaves and Quickloads makes it a bit of fun, otherwise I would have passed all of them in an hour or so. I could only complete Level 5 (okay, with "R" a couple of times :D). You have to remember where are the death traps you might fall and where you want to press which key. I might record if I could complete all of them!

Nice fun. Waiting for your other mod ;)

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

I used OBS and DOSBox (of course) to play this mod and I have this video recorded.

Screenshot from 2021-02-14 20-32-10.png

How can I crop it so it only shows the game being played and not the rest black screen? Any idea Norbert (or anyone else)?

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:03 pmHow can I crop it so it only shows the game being played and not the rest black screen?
I[n] my notes about that, it says: Add filter -> Crop/Pad
By the way, DOSBox has built-in recording functionality.

[Edit: In... :)]
Last edited by Norbert on February 14th, 2021, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:10 pm I my notes about that, it says: Add filter -> Crop/Pad
Sorry, "I my notes"? What's that? Sorry, couldn't understand what you were trying to type.
I'm trying to use ffmpeg to do that, I don't have any software installed currently, finding the right ffmpeg command might do the job.
Norbert wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:10 pm By the way, DOSBox has built-in recording functionality.
I know, but that presents two problems:
1. On Ubuntu that shifts from GUI mode to Terminal mode.
2. YouTube doesn't have good support for these videos. The quality doesn't go above 240p (which is bad and YouTue doesn't promote it, anyway). Check my old videos. These were recorded from Windows DOSBox, but I don't think it will affect how the videos are processed by YouTube and shown to other people.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:07 pmI'm trying to use ffmpeg to do that, I don't have any software installed currently, finding the right ffmpeg command might do the job.
In my notes about that, it says:
ffmpeg -i <in> -filter:v "crop=<width>:<height>:<fromx>:<fromy>" out.mp4
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:07 pm1. On Ubuntu that shifts from GUI mode to Terminal mode.
Start "dosbox -startmapper" and save, exit. Then, in .dosbox/mapper, change hand_video from "key 286 mod1 mod2" to "key 9 mod1", to be able to start/stop recording with Ctrl+Tab
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:07 pm2. YouTube doesn't have good support for these videos.
ffmpeg -r 70.086 -i in_dosbox.avi -vf "scale=1152:720,pad=1280:720:64:0:black" -b 4000k -ab 160k -r 60 -acodec libvo_aacenc out_usable_in_editor.mp4
(If that doesn't work, try -acodec libfdk-aac or -acodec copy)
Or, to scale PoP videos to sharp 600px height:
ffmpeg -r 70.086 -i in.avi -vf "scale=960:600,pad=1280:720:160:60:0x333333" -sws_flags neighbor -b 4000k -ab 160k -r 60 -acodec libvo_aacenc out.mp4
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Very great mod! I just beat it, I struggled a lot on the spikes jump at the end of level 1 (it may be a frame perfect jump or maybe 2 frames wide), less with the following levels but it was a challenge to the end. Level 5 is not very hard but so much fun, and I died near the end by jumping to early on the lower set of spikes :lol:

Do you plan on creating more levels on this mod or are you done with it?
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

VelCheran wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:24 pmLevel 5 is not very hard but so much fun, and I died near the end by jumping to early on the lower set of spikes :lol:
You just have to press jump when you see the spikes and prince and very close and just forget that you are jumping, otherwise your brain tricks you and you keep jumping and eventually die! :lol:

By the way, you could try my mod too! ;) (if you dare, too difficult)

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

VelCheran wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:24 pmVery great mod!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed playing it. :)
I might create more levels, but certainly not in the near future...
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:42 pm
VelCheran wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:24 pmLevel 5 is not very hard but so much fun, and I died near the end by jumping to early on the lower set of spikes :lol:
You just have to press jump when you see the spikes and prince and very close and just forget that you are jumping, otherwise your brain tricks you and you keep jumping and eventually die! :lol:

By the way, you could try my mod too! ;) (if you dare, too difficult)
Maybe I will, but I think your mods are too difficult for me :lol:
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: February 14th, 2021, 6:14 pm [...] In my notes about that, it says: [...]
So you basically write notes with problems (you faced) and solutions (with which they were fixed for you)? Would be great if you could give me an insight if I should do the same? Thanks!

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 2:48 pmSo you basically write notes with problems (you faced) and solutions (with which they were fixed for you)?
Yeah. I recommend doing that particularly when it comes to using audiovisual software through the command-line, such as with ffmpeg and ImageMagick. There's a lot of documentation out there, but most is only almost - but not quite - what you're looking for. Things like hardcoding subtitles, watermarking videos, adding multiple large images into a single small PDF, etc.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

We added a leaderboard on speedrun.com for this mod, it's there.
(yeah, I'm all by myself right now :lol: But my time should be easy to beat, I didn't get a deathless run yet)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

VelCheran wrote: July 21st, 2021, 7:54 pmWe added a leaderboard on speedrun.com for this mod, it's there.
Ah. :)