Escape From Illusion

4DPlayer

Escape From Illusion

Post by 4DPlayer »

The levels are fully finished along with some advanced changes to the exe.
(Thanks to David and Norbert for helping me with some hex-editing).
However, there's a few graphics that I think need to be redone. With school off next week I should get those done unless I further procrastinate. On another tone, there's a few reasons that have my questioning whether to decide to continue posting mods here or not.
For now, though, here's some preview screenshots of Escape from Illusion.
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG
It really gets crazy at some parts. The giant fat guard is only one of the very weird things that occur during the game.
Dh73
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Escape From Illusion

Post by Dh73 »

4DPlayer wrote: March 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm The levels are fully finished along with some advanced changes to the exe.
However, there's a few graphics that I think need to be redone. With school off next week I should get those done unless I further procrastinate. On another tone, there's a few reasons that have my questioning whether to decide to continue posting mods here or not.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG
It really gets crazy at some parts. The giant fat guard is only one of the very weird things that occur during the game.
very interesting and funny custom graphic: apparently the balcony is available for dungeon.dat? and, for defeat the giant fat is needed a bigger sword? 🤣🤣🤣
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Dh73 wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:47 pm very interesting and funny custom graphic: apparently the balcony is available for dungeon.dat? and, for defeat the giant fat is needed a bigger sword? 🤣🤣🤣
Making some changes to the resources.xml file in PR, I can make the balcony, mirror, and arches compatible with VDUNGEON.DAT.
The giant guard can be easily defeated just like a normal guard.

Thanks for expressing interest in the mod. :)
Dh73
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Dh73 »

4DPlayer wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Dh73 wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:47 pm very interesting and funny custom graphic: apparently the balcony is available for dungeon.dat? and, for defeat the giant fat is needed a bigger sword? 🤣🤣🤣
Making some changes to the resources.xml file in PR, I can make the balcony, mirror, and arches compatible with VDUNGEON.DAT.
The giant guard can be easily defeated just like a normal guard.

Thanks for expressing interest in the mod. :)
oh yes, obviously I was joking for the giant guard: good work, well done :)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I like the giant guard!!! Would like to have the DAT file... Can you share here? I want to try it out! :)

Thanks!
Last edited by atrueprincefanfrom18 on March 14th, 2020, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

4DPlayer wrote: March 13th, 2020, 7:53 pmthere's a few reasons that have my questioning whether to decide to continue posting mods here or not.
Will you share those reasons publicly?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: March 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm For now, though, here's some preview screenshots of Escape from Illusion.
pic #1: Is that a skull on the potion?
pic #2: It's full moon, like in PoP1 SNES.
pic #3: Why are there two princes? Is the top one the shadow from the level 5 special event? (My guess is based on the gate and the potion.)
pic #4: I remember someone else made a giant fat guard before: viewtopic.php?p=21692#p21692
pic #5: If the shadow looks like this then the extra prince on #3 can't be the shadow... unless this is not the shadow.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Norbert wrote: March 14th, 2020, 1:49 pm
Will you share those reasons publicly?
I'd honestly prefer to handle it by PM with anyone who might want to know.
David wrote: March 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm pic #1: Is that a skull on the potion?
pic #2: It's full moon, like in PoP1 SNES.
pic #3: Why are there two princes? Is the top one the shadow from the level 5 special event? (My guess is based on the gate and the potion.)
pic #4: I remember someone else made a giant fat guard before: viewtopic.php?p=21692#p21692
pic #5: If the shadow looks like this then the extra prince on #3 can't be the shadow... unless this is not the shadow.
Spoiler: show

#1. Yes. It's made to be a mysterious "Potion Of Skull". In actuality, this is just a change of sword images in PRINCE.DAT. However, I've changed the Kid's picking up sword images so that it looks like he's drinking a strange drink.
IMGA.PNG
However, the sheathing sword images are also used not only after combat but also after picking up the sword so while the Prince is drinking the "Potion Of Skull", the sheathing sword animation will suddenly kick in.
IMGB.PNG

#2. Yeah, SNES inspired that design.

#3. It is indeed the Shadow. However, using some very helpful info you provided in another thread, I was able to change the Shadow's movements and how far he travels.
IMGC.PNG
For some reason though, something strange happens after Shadow climbs up the ledge.
I'll leave that as something to discover during play of the game.

#4. Yep. And that thread was yet another that contained useful info which I implemented into my mod.
I used it to create this:
IMGD.PNG
The Prince is fighting an invisible guard without even a sword.

#5. This guard is not the Shadow. Strangely enough, the giant fat guard is made using a patched, killable version of SHADOW.DAT and changed graphics, and the transparent Prince you see here is SKEL.DAT with changed graphics in Level 11.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 10:33 am :shock: :shock: :shock:

I like the giant guard!!! Would like to have the DAT file... Can you share here? I want to try it out! :)

Thanks!
After further thinking, I believe I will share the mod once it's finished.

I won't share the specific DAT file yet.
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

4DPlayer wrote: March 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm The levels are fully finished along with some advanced changes to the exe.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

I'm so laughing and I like Giant Fatso Guard graphics, but you must give me standard Fatso Guard too. See the picture below.
Attachments
Fatso Guard Graphics
Fatso Guard Graphics
Last edited by yourantumayel69 on March 17th, 2020, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

yourantumayel69 wrote: March 17th, 2020, 2:24 pm Please give me new original Fatso Guard graphics
I also want exactly the same thing!
He would release the the mod and then we can get it :)
I am waiting for him to release the mod...

4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

It is completed. :)
Escape.PNG
Escape From Illusion is a mod that uses advanced PRINCE.EXE hacks and various changes to the DAT files, along with a strong presence of broken rooms which creates confusion and challenge for the player. It's filled with puzzling, frustrating, and at times laughable moments.
In addition to the advanced hacks of PRINCE.EXE, this mod even has custom music for both the main theme midis (the victory end theme is somewhat unchanged though), and the short midis that are played throughout the game when things are done (drink potion, defeat guard, etc.). Basically all music midis were changed. Custom sound effects seemed too hard for me.

Credits and acknowledgements go to:
David- His detailed posts on hacking the EXE helped me make almost all the changes made to PRINCE.EXE.
Norbert- Other hex-editing help; recommending WXHexeditor for editing the EXE; creating the outstanding level-editor, Apoplexy.
Everyone else from Princed community for motivating me to get into level editing in the first place and whose levels have at times been inspirations for mine.
ZIP containing mod here:
EscFromIllusion.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
DISCLAIMER: Do not play the mod in SDLPoP since many hacks to PRINCE.EXE aren't recognized by SDLPoP. This will give less of a strangeness to the mod and will make Level 5 unfinishable from the start. SDLPoP also may crash on startup if it's set to load this mod. If not, it will definitely crash on level 10.

Also, for those who want the giant fat guard graphics, I included a FAT.DAT here with them. Please use this .DAT since the giant fat guard in my game uses SHADOW.DAT instead of FAT.DAT and it's a little inconvenient to use SHADOW.DAT for a giant fat guard.
FAT.DAT
(9.88 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
With all that aside, let me know what you think about this mod and don't hesitate to ask me for help with some levels.
(I have a feeling that at some parts you might.)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

4DPlayer wrote: March 21st, 2020, 5:49 pm It is completed. :) [...]
Nice! I'll try this out. Can you try to create a SDLPoP config file? Because for me now, QuickSaves And QuickLoads are a must! David, can you help, how to play this mod in SDLPoP, without crashing the app or my PC? As per author, it won't work. Thanks!

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Nice PDF!