Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles - new levels

MoonlightShadow
Efendi
Efendi

Re: Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles - new levels

Post by MoonlightShadow »

David wrote:
MoonlightShadow wrote: In level 7, how can you remove the loose tile to cover the spikes after drinking the LP?
At the edge below the loose floor, climb down and then immediately up. Turn around and jump up. The loose floor should fall now.
Cool! But why? Or is it also a trick?
David wrote:
MoonlightShadow wrote:I still can't get out of the LP room in level 10 yet. I heard that when the prince swings while holding on an edge, we can choose the right time to drop so that he can drop to the right or left of the edge, is that right? 'cause I tried it several times but it didn't work
You need to hang from one of the ledges in the bottom row.
Don't release the shift key, just wait until the prince releases the ledge by himself. Hold shift until he grabs one of the ledges above the spikes.
Succeeded! Thanks so much :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

MoonlightShadow wrote:Cool! But why? Or is it also a trick?
Yes, see this movie and its accompanying image:

tacosalad
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by tacosalad »

Update:

Since 2005 I've learned Prince of Persia is abandonware, so today I updated my Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles to include a zipfile that contains a fully-playable set of game files. (The standalone LEVELS.DAT is still there for users who have their own preferred runtime environment.)

This game set includes my own unique copy of PRINCED.EXE that I patched over 20 years ago, which has never been shared AFAIK. The copy-protect potions level posed an inconvenience because I lived in a college dorm where my computer was very popular for playing Prince of Persia so there was a continual risk of damaging the manual or losing it in the clutter. So I patched the data in my copy of PRINCED.EXE so it would tell the user explicitly which potion to drink, which didn't require modifying a single byte of code.
Patched potion screen instructions
Patched potion screen instructions
This update does not modify the Potion Puzzles themselves--LEVELS.DAT is unchanged from the 2005 release. Although users inadvertently cooked a few of my puzzles by discovering other solutions, I never plan to revise it because the extra solutions are a just a natural, organic consequence of players exercising their creativity!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Maybe one day someone will add what you used to make the game mention the correct potion as an option to CusPop.
There is some related stuff that still needs to find its way into CusPop one day (see here, for example).
Unfortunately, CusPop is still broken at the moment; hopefully poirot will make it a standalone tool soon (as in, no longer being a WordPress plugin), so it can be re-added to the Princed website.
Kinda empty at http://www.princed.org/cuspop/ right now...
tacosalad
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by tacosalad »

OMG OMG OMG!

I just remembered my original solution to Level 12's Potion Puzzle. Everyone (including me) has been using the integer-overflow trick that causes the prince to pop magically up to the top level.

Level 12 was actually the first Potion Puzzle I developed, which is why it's the crudest level of the bunch. My original solution requires a huge leap of logic, but I made it solvable using the integer-overflow trick as an alternate solution. At the time I thought it was such an obscure trick that nobody would notice it, but naturally all experienced players know that trick. Consequently, I'm not sure if anyone has actually found the original solution.

If you've previously completed the Potion Puzzles but want one more challenge, go back to level 12 and solve it after taking the orthodox path to the top. Yes, it is solvable after climbing up as shown in this picture...
This is a path to an obscure, long-forgotten solution to Level 12's Potion Puzzle
This is a path to an obscure, long-forgotten solution to Level 12's Potion Puzzle
(EDIT) But please postpone any replays until after the quarterly modding contest. Don't waste your precious play time revisiting an old puzzle!
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Intro

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 01

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 02

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 03

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 04

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 05

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 06

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 07

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 08

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

Prince of Persia 1 - Potion Puzzles (Tacosalad, 2005) - Level 09

Last edited by Khushal64n6 on January 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.