Gabriel's Challenge

fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Gabriel's Challenge

Post by fp »

Hi! I'm fp, might've seen me around, might've not.

I decided to just start making a thing and just not stop until I made a whole mod, which in retrospect was a less than stellar idea, but I mean hey... It worked!

Anyway, this is my first ever mod, and since it was a stream of consciousness type thing, there will probably be many ways to skip things or otherwise bugs I didn't want to exist will happen, and I apologize in advance for that, along with the fact that since I was learning as I go, the first few levels are rough around the edges.

This should run in DOSBOX just fine.
GABRIEL.zip
The mod in question.
(343.01 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
: Additional information :
Starting Time: 120 minutes
Starting Lives: 2
Prince Version: 1.4 (use improved, not megahit)
Linked Rooms do exist, but they get less intrusive toward the latter levels.
Every level (minus Potions and Demo, although they did get a PALACE MAKEOVER~) have been replaced.
You do need to know some tricks in order to pass this mod successfully, although they shouldn't be precise or frame perfect, nor incredibly difficult to figure out which one to use if you root around.
This hasn't been ran through all in one go, but each level has been tested individually, and all are possible, time also shouldn't be a huge issue... Hopefully?
This isn't going in the Custom Levels part of popot.org yet, as I'm hoping to make granular adjustments as thoughts roll in before I do.
You don't need to find any Life Potions to win - I made sure all levels are possible w/o them, although it will be challenging.
Life Potions are in levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 12a/b, making 8 in total, and 10 possible life points.
Mod is using the "An Hour in Prison" block-set.
The original + HP indicators are by musa (although I did edit some)

Below are some screenshots as well.
Spoiler: show
Starting Room.
Starting Room.
Gab_03.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
A screenshot.
A screenshot.
Gab_01.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
A screenshot?
A screenshot?
Gab_02.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
FALLING AAAAAAAA
FALLING AAAAAAAA
Gab_04.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
Please do send thoughts and videos!
Thanks, and have fun!
"I don't exactly think, therefore I don't exactly am."
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Re: Gabriel's Challenge

Post by yourantumayel69 »

Please upload it to popot.org
Before you upload it, you can register first: https://www.popot.org/user.php?action=Register
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

yourantumayel69 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 4:37 pm Please upload it to popot.org
Before you upload it, you can register first: https://www.popot.org/user.php?action=Register
This isn't going in the Custom Levels part of popot.org yet, as I'm hoping to make granular adjustments as thoughts roll in before I do.
I mean, there is a reason I put that there.
I'm planning on doing so for sure! Just wanna make sure it isn't broken or something beforehand, because first mod 'n stuff... y'know how it is.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

fp wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:43 pmJust wanna make sure it isn't broken or something beforehand, because first mod 'n stuff... y'know how it is.
Maybe you already know, but just in case; mod authors can also edit mods on that website. Adding it allows players to launch it using Total Pack (and poplaun). I'm guessing that's the reason some players would like it to be on that site.
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

Norbert wrote: January 20th, 2023, 6:24 pmMaybe you already know, but just in case; mod authors can also edit mods on that website. Adding it allows players to launch it using Total Pack (and poplaun). I'm guessing that's the reason some players would like it to be on that site.
I didn't, but in my mind, it's sort of similar to the /idgames archive {which can be found at https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/} (I normally do DOOM stuff, if you cant tell) where the final product gets launched so that it's in a centeral place, and everyone can look in one spot for everything instead of it being fractured 'n all that. In my mind, that's like... The final hurdle, when everything is done & I can finally rest. If I have to "pick up the project again" afterword to fix stuff, it'll just feel like a pain.

Anyway, if that is the case, where you can fix it, I'll probably do that later tonight, despite my preconceived notions from my years in DOOMing.
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000286
There we go, I got it done for anyone who wants to use poplaun or the Total Pack.

Even did a quick and dirty banner... Too lazy to get a bunch of screenshots lol

Feel free to direct smaller comments there, and larger review-type things here.
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

I know it's been a bit, and I apologize, but I just realized Level 6 is (probably) impossible. Idk how I did it the first time, if I did it at all cuz I don't remember. Aw well, one person team, I guess.

Anyway, I made level 6 a lot easier at the end. Tried the rest of the levels, they seem to be in working order.

For anyone who downloaded it directly, apologies. Just throw the new LEVELS.DAT file in there.

The Custom Levels upload at popot.org has also been updated.

Again, sorry for being a dolt.
Attachments
LEVELS.DAT
oops.
(36.16 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
RAS
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by RAS »

Hi fp,

first of all congrats to your new mod.

Level 6 in the Original Version is solvable. Kill the guard, show to the shadow, go back to the lower plattform and jump down, then it goes to Level 7.

All of the levels are working well.
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

RAS wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:46 pm Hi fp,

first of all congrats to your new mod.

Level 6 in the Original Version is solvable. Kill the guard, show to the shadow, go back to the lower plattform and jump down, then it goes to Level 7.

All of the levels are working well.
wait, so it is possible? Damn, perhaps I'm just too thick to remember my own puzzles - either way, it still wasn't my intended idea for the puzzle, so I might keep the new one, might not.

Thanks for the congratulations! :D