Christmas of Persia

teljesnegyzet
Efendi
Efendi

Christmas of Persia

Post by teljesnegyzet »

This is my first mod. It features altered sprites, graphics, levels, sounds, music, intro and outro.
Attention: It is only playable in DOSBox as I've made many modifications to the prince.exe file.
christmas1.png
christmas2.png
christmas3.png
ChristmasOfPersia.zip
(331.47 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Christmas of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Good stuff!
The ending animation is really funny. :)

Two minor issues: 1. in level 1, I unexpectedly fell to my death (see spoiler below), and 2. in level 3, a loose floor from room 4 ends up on the room 8 floor, which as a result makes it seem as if the girl is allowed to go down in the latter room to find a loose floor in between the two Nutcracker dolls.
Spoiler: show
Related is trick 26, which I tried to do there.
This is near the exit of level 1.
suggestion.png
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

By the way, maybe also add it to PoPOT (submit link)?
Also, if you want, I can tweet about the mod from @PoPModding.
Both should get you some more players.
teljesnegyzet
Efendi
Efendi

Post by teljesnegyzet »

Norbert wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:27 pm Good stuff!
The ending animation is really funny. :)
Thank you for your feedback!
You played through it really quick.
Norbert wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:27 pm Two minor issues:
Sigh... I've played throughout the mod at least 50 times to find and fix every issue.
I guess it wasn't enough.
Norbert wrote: December 9th, 2022, 11:50 pm By the way, maybe also add it to PoPOT
It's added now.
Norbert wrote: December 9th, 2022, 11:50 pm Also, if you want, I can tweet about the mod from @PoPModding.
I would appreciate it. Thank you!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

teljesnegyzet wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:39 amI would appreciate it. Thank you!
https://twitter.com/PoPModding/status/1 ... 7156571136

Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

teljesnegyzet wrote: December 9th, 2022, 12:31 am This is my first mod. It features altered sprites, graphics, levels, sounds, music, intro and outro.
Great stuff! :) I'm not quite sure, but I suppose the enemies encountered on levels 1 and 2 are female? Are they elves?
teljesnegyzet
Efendi
Efendi

Post by teljesnegyzet »

Amethyst wrote: December 13th, 2022, 7:20 pm Great stuff! :)
Thank you!
Amethyst wrote: December 13th, 2022, 7:20 pm I'm not quite sure, but I suppose the enemies encountered on levels 1 and 2 are female?
That was my intention. But they can be interpreted as male with shoulder-length hair as well.
Amethyst wrote: December 13th, 2022, 7:20 pm Are they elves?
They are a bit too tall to be elves. I just referred them as guards in my head.
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

It's great stuff😁
By the way, can you add support SDLPoP for your mod Christmas of Persia? Some players (like me or Amogh Datar) play your mod using SDLPoP
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
teljesnegyzet
Efendi
Efendi

Post by teljesnegyzet »

yourantumayel69 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 11:49 am It's great stuff😁
Thank you!
yourantumayel69 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 11:49 am By the way, can you add support SDLPoP for your mod Christmas of Persia?
That's not how it works. It's not the mod that can or cannot support SDLPoP. It's the other way around.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

teljesnegyzet wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:50 pm That was my intention. But they can be interpreted as male with shoulder-length hair as well.
I'll interpret them as female then. After all, the protagonist also is. :)

Another thing: while the guards are pretty tough, they'll eventually advance even if I'm attacking, so just smashing the Shift button and waiting for them to blunder into the sword always works. The guards in level 1 of the original game behave like this as well. Is this intentional?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

teljesnegyzet wrote: December 14th, 2022, 12:03 pm
yourantumayel69 wrote: December 14th, 2022, 11:49 am By the way, can you add support SDLPoP for your mod Christmas of Persia?
That's not how it works. It's not the mod that can or cannot support SDLPoP. It's the other way around.
In theory, you could customize SDLPoP, implementing your hex edits in C. :)

My guess is that players want to use SDLPoP for its quick save/load (F6/F9) functionality. You could reveal to them your custom cheat code, so they can enable cheats, which should give them a similarly relaxed playing experience. To give myself such an experience, one of the first things I personally did was run your executable through diffpop, to figure out that code. This was before the code was shown on the mod's PoPOT page (in light gray text, top-left of the screenshots; all mod pages have this). Maybe some players would be happy to know about DOSBox-X, with its save states.
teljesnegyzet
Efendi
Efendi

Post by teljesnegyzet »

Amethyst wrote: December 14th, 2022, 5:01 pm Another thing: while the guards are pretty tough, they'll eventually advance even if I'm attacking, so just smashing the Shift button and waiting for them to blunder into the sword always works. The guards in level 1 of the original game behave like this as well. Is this intentional?
I think this is what is called the "advance probability" of a guard. As far as I know, this value is greater than zero in case of all the guards in the original game - with the exception of the first guard of Level 8. So this is just their default behaviour.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

teljesnegyzet wrote: December 14th, 2022, 11:38 pm
Amethyst wrote: December 14th, 2022, 5:01 pm Another thing: while the guards are pretty tough, they'll eventually advance even if I'm attacking, so just smashing the Shift button and waiting for them to blunder into the sword always works. The guards in level 1 of the original game behave like this as well. Is this intentional?
I think this is what is called the "advance probability" of a guard. As far as I know, this value is greater than zero in case of all the guards in the original game - with the exception of the first guard of Level 8.
Yes, but usually, guards will not advance into the “hit range” as long as you’re attacking. In the original game, only those in Level 1 do this. Say, you confront a guard in Level 2 and just keep attacking. He will not advance into the “hit range” but stay at a safe distance until you stop attacking.
teljesnegyzet
Efendi
Efendi

Post by teljesnegyzet »

Amethyst wrote: December 15th, 2022, 11:49 am Yes, but usually, guards will not advance into the “hit range” as long as you’re attacking. In the original game, only those in Level 1 do this.
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of this behaviour. So I shouldn't use Level 1 guards in mods even if I change their skills.
In this case: no, it isn't intentional.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

teljesnegyzet wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:44 pm
Amethyst wrote: December 15th, 2022, 11:49 am Yes, but usually, guards will not advance into the “hit range” as long as you’re attacking. In the original game, only those in Level 1 do this.
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of this behaviour.
I'll never quite understand this behaviour. I can understand inexperienced guards not knowing how to block, but to walk into a slashing blade is suicide. ;) In the SNES version, the easiest guards (encountered in Levels 1, 2, 4 and 6) don't know how to block either... but know to stay away from a slashing blade.