Memory problem

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Memory problem

Post by Sting »

I edited the PV.DAT but I changed just the room an the new picture I made has the same size of the original room pic but when I import back the new file uses the double memory and when I run my mod it stops at level 4 and show in screen "insufficient memory press key to return to DOS"
even if I export then import the original file with no changes it uses more memory without customizing anything is there a solution?
Check out my first ever mod and rate it it is Journey in Mystery I hope I will improve next time, thank you :D :) :D
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Memory problem

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:52 am I edited the PV.DAT [...]
Can you share the file(s) here?
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 12:38 pm
Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:52 am I edited the PV.DAT [...]
Can you share the file(s) here?
of course. The original is 25Ko and all the images I created here are in the saame size of the original but importing makes it 45Ko
PV.DAT
(44.27 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Check out my first ever mod and rate it it is Journey in Mystery I hope I will improve next time, thank you :D :) :D
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:43 pm of course. The original is 25Ko [...]
Interesting. Loading relevant levels (2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12) directly makes it work. But using SHIFT + L fails it if you have seen the scene before.
For example, let's say, you loaded Level 3 directly, using megahit. Then you used SHIFT + L, it would work perfectly. But, after Level 5, as there is use of the DAT file in Level 6, it would fail.
However, if you load Level 2, you see the animation, so it would fail on Level 4. I didn't try all the cases. I maybe even wrong, but someone can cross-check and let us know.

Maybe David or Norbert can help you out...

Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:43 pm of course. The original is 25Ko [...]
Interesting. Loading relevant levels (2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12) directly makes it work. But using SHIFT + L fails it if you have seen the scene before.
For example, let's say, you loaded Level 3 directly, using megahit. Then you used SHIFT + L, it would work perfectly. But, after Level 5, as there is use of the DAT file in Level 6, it would fail.
However, if you load Level 2, you see the animation, so it would fail on Level 4. I didn't try all the cases. I maybe even wrong, but someone can cross-check and let us know.

Maybe David or Norbert can help you out...
That is exactly what happens I tried all the cases levels with cutsceens will work perfectly if you start directly from them or one level before but if you start from more than that and go with shift+l it shows insufficient memory but I don't know if you tried it or not when you play all levels there is no problem I tried this with some of them I even tried to change the dosbox conf file and put the max size 63 MB but that changed nothing
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 4:39 pm That is exactly what happens [...]
Ohk... Yes, I didn't try playing normally and then checking if problem exists. Even I am confused, why the problem occurs the second time and not the first time... :?

Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 4:47 pm
Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 4:39 pm That is exactly what happens [...]
Ohk... Yes, I didn't try playing normally and then checking if problem exists. Even I am confused, why the problem occurs the second time and not the first time... :?
It is probably a memory accumulation problem but I don't know how things work inside, i hope someone who has solution see this
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Sting wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:43 pm of course. The original is 25Ko and all the images I created here are in the saame size of the original but importing makes it 45Ko
When you import with PR, add the -z7 parameter to the command line.
This tells PR to use maximal compression.
(Why isn't this the default? Maybe because it used to be too slow? Anyway, I made it the default now.)

This solves the insufficient memory error for me.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

But why does it occur the second time and NOT the first time? :?