Changing graphics

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Changing graphics

Post by Sting »

I am trying to change some graphics into new look like fake walls but every time I do that pr always skip the new bmp image I created is there someone can help me? I am beginner in prince modding so if someone can explain me in an easy way I would be grateful
Check out my first ever mod and rate it it is Journey in Mystery I hope I will improve next time, thank you :D :) :D
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Changing graphics

Post by Norbert »

Sting wrote: May 16th, 2020, 4:58 pm[...] every time I do that pr always skip the new bmp image I created
Try these steps with GIMP.

If it still does not work, either write down in a forum post the exact steps you use and exact (error) messages you get, or use SDLPoP instead of the DOS game as described at the end of my message here.
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

Norbert wrote: May 16th, 2020, 6:20 pm
Sting wrote: May 16th, 2020, 4:58 pm[...] every time I do that pr always skip the new bmp image I created
Try these steps with GIMP.

If it still does not work, either write down in a forum post the exact steps you use and exact (error) messages you get, or use SDLPoP instead of the DOS game as described at the end of my message here.
I opened the image with GIMP and edited a wall but I could not find the colormap and when I imported it back the new wall was looking incompleted and with other colors. note: I used the wall picture insteat of a wall decoration trying to make a fake wall
Check out my first ever mod and rate it it is Journey in Mystery I hope I will improve next time, thank you :D :) :D
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

I tries to change the main title image so I followed the document in popot but I am blocked: after editing the new palette there is no bottoms to save like what appears in the document
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Sting wrote: May 17th, 2020, 1:38 am I tries to change the main title image so I followed the document in popot but I am blocked: after editing the new palette there is no bottoms to save like what appears in the document
I downloaded and installed the latest version of GIMP (2.10.18).
Indeed, they have removed the save button from the Palette Editor window.

But you don't really need that button, it just saved the palette to the place where it was already saved.

In step 8.1, instead of "Edit Palette", choose "Show in File Manager".
This will show you where the palette is saved in GPL format.
You need to give this file to gpl2jascpal in step 8.2.
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

Is there a way to work with palette colors I tried to change some looks of decoration but the colors become weird every time I couldn't inderstand numbrs existing in the pal files and when I tried to open that with the PalSuite when I click open a palette it stops
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Sting wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:23 pm Is there a way to work with palette colors I tried to change some looks of decoration but the colors become weird every time
Where did the colors become weird? In the game? Or in GIMP?

If in the game:
Did you convert your edited palette to JASC PAL format with gpl2jascpal?
And then, did you copy the new PAL file over the original palette which was exported by PR?

Did you even edit your palette? Or were you just using colors from the original palette?

Sting wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:23 pm when I tried to open that with the PalSuite when I click open a palette it stops
Which palette did you want to open with PalSuite?
Was it the GIMP palette (.gpl extension) or the JASC palette (.pal extension)?
Sting
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Sting »

David wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:52 pm
Sting wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:23 pm Is there a way to work with palette colors I tried to change some looks of decoration but the colors become weird every time
Where did the colors become weird? In the game? Or in GIMP?

If in the game:
Did you convert your edited palette to JASC PAL format with gpl2jascpal?
And then, did you copy the new PAL file over the original palette which was exported by PR?

Did you even edit your palette? Or were you just using colors from the original palette?

Sting wrote: May 17th, 2020, 7:23 pm when I tried to open that with the PalSuite when I click open a palette it stops
Which palette did you want to open with PalSuite?
Was it the GIMP palette (.gpl extension) or the JASC palette (.pal extension)?
the colors are weird in the game but I can understand I could not change the pal files what I tried to do is using a wall picture instead of a wall decoration so with gimp I took a wall picture and I put it on the decoraton but I used the same colormap.
the palette I tried to open is a .pal extention but even I opened it with block note I couldn't understand the difference.
I am sorry for disturbing you but I am so bad at these things. :oops:
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

Sting, I have you a better solution, tell me what do you want to do and I will try to make them for you
You can contact me since 9:00 to 23:00 UTC -5…
I remind you, you can only use 15 custom colors in every palette file, the first color #0 0 0 must not be altered, it is displayed as transparent background…
I did never use gimp or gpljascpal, it's just a hint to make things easier, I use other programs
Send me a PM about what you want to do and I will see what I can do…