Animation data

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
PeteD
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Animation data

Post by PeteD »

Hi,

Does anyone know where the frame numbers and x/y offsets are to go with the sprites to create actual animations? I'd presumed they'd be in the .dat files and that nobody had required them before but after checking the dat format and then making sure there was no extra data (at least as far as I can tell) in them I'm at a loss as to where this info might be stored apart from in the exe.

If this stuff is easily accessible it would save me a lot of time as we're trying to get some PoP stuff running on the C64 and without this data it means I'll have to recreate it all somehow.

Cheers

Pete
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Animation data

Post by Norbert »

PeteD wrote:the frame numbers and x/y offsets [...] where this info might be stored apart from in the exe
You may want to take a look at the code of freeprince:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2833
PeteD
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by PeteD »

Thanks, I've been looking through it and the various conf files etc and so far I've found quite a lot of stuff that just points to the same frames as ripped by PR which presumably play sequentially (at least most of the time) but still no actual offsets from frame to frame. There is some stuff in the main.conf file which has frames or sequences of frames and then things like $15 @20 but so far haven't found what they (amongst other keywords) actually mean.

A lot of stuff along the lines of what I need seems to be in .awk and .conf files and I've no real idea how they're being parsed.

If someone who knows where this stuff actually is could point me in the right direction (or explain to me how the conf stuff etc works) rather than me trawl through a load of files I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Pete

*edit*
Ok, I've found a file main.conf which I understand most of, a list of animations with a name, things required (key presses) to run that anim then lists of frames with $ and @ values which seem to be the X and Y offsets for each frame. I'm unsure of what the command p means in this file (unless it's part of the "flags.conf" stuff?)... any help there?

There's also an anims.conf which seemed to be the animations for the intro cutscene but it looks like it's incomplete.. I also can't find any kind of similar conf file for the enemy animations..

Struggling a bit here with seemingly incomplete stuff that might have me totally down the wrong track.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Well, I've found the tables in the DOS version.
In PoP1 1.0 the frame table begins at 0x1B9A5, and the sequence table begins at 0x1C25B.
The format of these tables can be found in the pdf file mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1610&p=4489&hilit= ... e009#p4489
The description begins at the bottom of page 13.
Although the pdf is about the AppleII version, most parts about these tables are also true for the DOS version.