Need help or explaination

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Need help or explaination

Post by kj-5349 »

I have been trying to modify the midi music in order to create my new mod.

I've followed the instructions in the tutorials, extracting the midisnd2.dat, then changing the Main theme.mid by copying a midi file of my choice and then naming it as Main theme, replacing the file. I later import the file.

The problem is after importing the file, however, when I test out my mod at the beginning at the title sequence, there is no sound. I'm not sure if something wrong may have been done, I only tried to modify the starting theme at the title sequence just like how Darth Marsden did for his mod KX- Out of Time as well as mickey96's mods.

I did notice this when I import after modifying the extracted files
"C:\Documents and Settings\user>pr -i MIDISND2.DAT
Importing 'MIDISND2.DAT' from '.'
File MIDISND2.DAT already exists. Replace? [Yes/no/all]:Y
Result: Success (0)

Is it perhaps something more has to be done when I import the files?
Last edited by kj-5349 on March 17th, 2010, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Need help or explaination

Post by mk1995 »

Does it have the same suffix as the original file? If not, you might want to convert it. Also, the instruments you use should probably be compatible with a Sound Blaster soundcard. I'm not too sure about all that, since I never changed music. Perhaps somebody else is able to help you better...
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Thanks. That was why I wonder at how mickey96 changed his music in his mods. I don't have that much knowledge in technicalities of computing, so by the way what is a suffix?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

When I said "suffix" I meant the extension name, actually. Like ".mid" or ".mp3".

A suffix, in general, is a defining syllable you hang on after a word. Like, you could use the suffix "-ness" to make a noun out of some adjectives.
(Just in case you weren't sure what exactly a suffix was. Forgive me if I told you something what you already know.)
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Ah yes, I've tried your mods in Total Pack. So then what did you do with the music in your mods, especially Shadow of the Castle, its sequel and Lovsci. Did you use PR at that time you made your mods or some other editor?
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

So does it mean that I can't always really copy a midi file and replace the original, but edit the original with the above suggested application?

Maybe it was because I earlier copied an outside midi file and replaced the main theme, causing PoP to not be able to read it. Thanks.