Until My Death - classic PoP spiritual successor

Threads about other remakes and ports.
bafael
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Until My Death - classic PoP spiritual successor

Post by bafael »

I didn't really know where to put this so I'm making it here and maybe mods can move it if it's not right.

I'm an indie dev working on a spiritual successor to Prince of Persia 1 and 2 on DOS. It's going to take place in a fictional medieval setting and the plot will revolve around an assassin (the player) sneaking into a cathedral where a wedding is being held between a Margrave and a known witch. It's still early on in the project so I'm using a lot of placeholder sprites but I've already put out a few gameplay demos so players can feel around in the engine a bit.

I'm posting this here so that I can gauge interest in the project and maybe round up a few playtesters if anyone is interested.

Here's a playable demo if you want to feel around with the platforming and combat. Instructions are included in the download. The project is being made in Gamemaker 2

Youtube channel
Discord link

I appreciate any feedback and I'll take any questions.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Until My Death - classic PoP spiritual successor

Post by David »

Hello and welcome to our forum!

Here are some things I noticed while I played through the game.

* If I press grab (space or shift) too early then the prince won't grab.
I know the hint hints at that ("time my grip precisely"), but maybe it needs to be documented more clearly?
It's different from what people coming from PoP1/2 would expect.

* I can't see the opponents' HP.

* The "!" does not appear above the prince's head if he is not standing still.
This means players might miss some hints.
Although, if someone can go through a room without stopping then they probably don't need the hint in the room.

* I reached what I think is the end of level 1 but there is no exit (yet?).
There is a yellow button there, what does it do?

* There is also a green button at the start of level 1 and 2, what does it do?

UPDATE: Never mind, I figured them out: The yellow button stops the timer and the green button starts the timer.
These prince presses these buttons even if he jumps over them.

* The prince can walk backwards. :)
(It's good for positioning under ledges before climbing up.)

* I can climb down without turning my back towards the ledge.
(It can be used for climbing down faster, though rolling makes it even faster.)

* I found the crow!
(This was before I watched any video about the game.)
crow.png
* Non-completed achievements appear as "????".
This means I don't know what to do before I complete the achievement, and thus I can only complete it "by accident".
Is figuring them out part of the challenge?
(Though I admit I looked into data.win to see the names of the achievements.)

That's all for now.
bafael
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Re: Until My Death - classic PoP spiritual successor

Post by bafael »

Hey, thanks for taking a look through it!
David wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 11:47 am * If I press grab (space or shift) too early then the prince won't grab.
I know the hint hints at that ("time my grip precisely"), but maybe it needs to be documented more clearly?
It's different from what people coming from PoP1/2 would expect.
Indeed, one of the hardest calls I've had to make so far. Ultimately I decided I did want the platforming to have more precision than the originals, and the dialogue is supposed to reflect that. I'll give the players plenty of harmless practice with it before it's dangerous, though.
* I can't see the opponents' HP.
Yeah, I plan to include visible HP for enemies in the final build. Right now it's just 3 for all opponents, but that's not final. I'll probably hide some jokes of sorts in the UI.
* The "!" does not appear above the prince's head if he is not standing still.
This means players might miss some hints.
Although, if someone can go through a room without stopping then they probably don't need the hint in the room.
Indeed, I want people to be able to attempt to solve the room first before seeing the option for a hint, which is why I placed the hints where I did and why you have to stand still for them.
* The prince can walk backwards. :)
(It's good for positioning under ledges before climbing up.)
* I can climb down without turning my back towards the ledge.
(It can be used for climbing down faster, though rolling makes it even faster.)
I wanted to update a lot of existing mechanics to make them more logical and useful, and I'll take whatever suggestions you might have on that front.
* Non-completed achievements appear as "????".
This means I don't know what to do before I complete the achievement, and thus I can only complete it "by accident".
Is figuring them out part of the challenge?
Indeed. But I'll change this for the final release by simply having individual level speedrun challenges, tallies at the end of stages, etc.