Post by Guest »

great
When was it called back? :evil:
expaler
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Freeprince with Multi-State Mazes

Post by expaler »

I'd be interested in incorporating the capabilities of Multi-State Mazes into Freeprince. If you remember going through World 7-4 in the first Super Mario Bros., you'd have a fair idea of what it can do.

Is it safe to assume the engine source code is currently available in CVS only, under module name PV3?

My main compiler is MinGW, with Dev-C++ as the IDE.

Cromwell D. Enage
expaler
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Re: Freeprince with Multi-State Mazes

Post by expaler »

First - welcome to our forums, expaler!
Thanks!
I remember the world 7-4 in Mario (also 4-4 used the mazes). I'm not developer of FP, but this project is just conversion of old Prince of Persia into new enviroments. However, this engine may be used to create other platform games, so the maze function may be implemented into code.
Understood.
Game can create simple mazes using non-standard room connections (there is a topic somewhere in the forums about that), but the advanced mazes may be interesting functions for me. I have created many modifications of original Prince of Persia game (like Shadow of Castle) and this function may be useful in my mods.
I was able to get the English patch, but I don't have access to your main site.
If you want to talk with someone of FreePrince development team, you must wait for poirot - he is the master developer of project.
I'll wait for his verification wrt CVS access, but we can move the rest of this discussion to the Mods area.

Cromwell D. Enage
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

expaler wrote:I'd be interested in incorporating the capabilities of Multi-State Mazes into Freeprince. If you remember going through World 7-4 in the first Super Mario Bros., you'd have a fair idea of what it can do.

Is it safe to assume the engine source code is currently available in CVS only, under module name PV3?

My main compiler is MinGW, with Dev-C++ as the IDE.
First of all: Welcome

the CVS module for Freeprince is FP. PV3 is the level editor. It is recomended that you code under linux to run valgrind and avoid memory leaks and sigfaults and then port it to windows. I've never coded FP under mingw and ever compiled it; however I know it is possible. Under windows I recommend LCC. You will also need an awk interpreter.
expaler
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by expaler »

Thanks for the tips! I'll get back to you when I've cooked something up.

Cromwell D. Enage

Post by Guest »

great! I'm glad it works
OrSpeeder
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by OrSpeeder »

The Man is back! (me) Hehe... Just a Joke...

Well... First: I am now in university, studing Game Design and Developement (cool huh? I am on the only university like this in Brazil).

I am trying to make everyone learn and help the Princed projects (including Freeprince) but this is really hard... Most persons are graphic designers here... And do not know how to program...

Now, about the Engine of freeprince:

First, please: Do not use CVS anymore! I am only not helping because CVS keep do not working well... There are some new programs like CVS that are really easy to use (there are a command that download everything, without much parameters, and another to upload... Obvious, there are some complex things too to ppl that like it...)

Now, about the engine itself: I've got the idea to make front and back connections in the rooms... Then I imaginated that front connections are impossible to draw... So the idea is to draw back connections, and to level designers that like to build realist buildings, explain to them that when you use the exit on the back of the room, the camera like flips... (the ideda is: imagine two rooms connected like this | = | the = is the door, and the | are the locations of the cameras, the front of the room to be exact, and the = is the back of the rooms, got it?)

Support for more types of doors, switches and graphics are good too, to use drawings like the new VDUNGEON that gives the impression of a 3D background (it will be cool if you can use the doors on the background, or if you can have two or more walk-able layers on the location)

And a new fighting system will be cool, for example much more combinations of swings, stabs... And the hability to use magic, and other weapons (like Bows... Or even pistols in the case if someoen want to use the engine to create a modern game)

Lava tiles, water tiles and other type of tiles that can just be a graphic that damage you, or something that you can even enter inside will be cool too... (swim!)

My actual TODO: Build a makefile that runs on DEV-CPP and later I can try to do it on Visual C++ or Borland C++ Builder... But not now...