Pop1 Instruments Samples Hack

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
DridiSara123
Sheikh
Sheikh

Pop1 Instruments Samples Hack

Post by DridiSara123 »

Hello.

I wanted to ask whether PoP1 DOS can hack in all of the instrument samples and later convert the whole thing into a wave file? Because I would like to use these as instruments for FLStudio.

And if that is possible, which program do I need to hack samples from PoP1 DOS and convert them as a wave file?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Pop1 Instruments Samples Hack

Post by Norbert »

DridiSara123 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 12:40 pm[...], which program do I need to hack samples from PoP1 DOS and convert them as a wave file?
I'm a novice when it comes to this subject, but what I write below might be close enough to the truth to be useful information. :P

Instead of playback using stored audio files (e.g. samples or stems), PoP1 software generates data in real time using MIDI data and an instruments file, which is passed to a chip or emulator that provides FM synthesis (as used by AdLib). Therefore, to get single-instrument samples, you could either modify the MIDI data or modify the software to limit respectively input (e.g. single note) or output (e.g. single track).

Early 2018, shortly before implementing MIDI playback in SDLPoP, Falcury created a package that should contain the necessary ingredients. It has the software (popmidi), the .mid files, the instruments file (res1.bin), and Yamaha OPL chip emulator (opl3.*). The .mid files and instruments file were extracted from PoP1 DAT files using PR, which outputs these resources as midisnd1/*.mid, midisnd2/*.mid, and prince/binary/midi info 1.bin.

So, either modify the MIDI data yourself...
David wrote: August 26th, 2017, 9:37 amYou could try this: Make a MIDI that plays something using a single instrument.
...or ask Falcury to expand his popmidi software. And once you have single-instrument output, you could simply record from audio-out (loopback), e.g. using Audacity, to create samples.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

By the way, we have the sounds from Mac PoP, including the instrument samples: viewtopic.php?p=23552#p23552
They are different from the DOS ones, though.
DridiSara123
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by DridiSara123 »

And does anyone know how to access or extract res1.bin? Sure there is PR Resource, but somehow I can't handle it. Can someone extract the res1.bin for me? Because I would like to have access to PoP1 Dos instruments.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

DridiSara123 wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:39 pm And does anyone know how to access or extract res1.bin?
res1.bin is included in SDLPoP.
You can download it from here: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/ma ... E/res1.bin

It's also included in Falcury's MIDI player, as Norbert wrote above.

Norbert wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:03 pm So, either modify the MIDI data yourself...
David wrote: August 26th, 2017, 9:37 amYou could try this: Make a MIDI that plays something using a single instrument.
...or ask Falcury to expand his popmidi software. And once you have single-instrument output, you could simply record from audio-out (loopback), e.g. using Audacity, to create samples.
I finally got myself to do this.
I made single-instrument MIDIs, played them using Falcury's MIDI player, and recorded their sound.

In the attached ZIP, all_instruments.wav contains all PoP1 instruments playing a middle C sound, one after the other.
The rest are just the files I used to make the MIDIs.
Attachments
all_instruments.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:50 pmI finally got myself to do this.
Nice.

It's interesting to me that PHP often seems to be your weapon of choice for such things.
PHP indeed is remarkably versatile for a scripting language geared towards web development.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Do the instruments here have loop points or not? It would be neat to know to compile them on a soundfont or as samples that they could be imported to other music engines like PoP SNES.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174