Trigger a switch by stepping on another switch?

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Trigger a switch by stepping on another switch?

Post by VelCheran »

Hello there,
I'm not sure if the title of this topic is very clear, but basically I thought that allowing "trigger of any tile" would do something like this :
  • In room 1, you have switch A;
  • In room 2, you have switch B;
  • Switch A triggers event 10;
  • Event 10 triggers the tile of switch B;
  • When stepping on switch A, it activates switch B.
It looks like this doesn't work. Is there a way to modify the game so that it would? It would allow for quite cool gameplay, for example if event 10 triggers an opening switch and is followed by event 11 which triggers a closing switch (that way, stepping on a switch would open some doors and close others).
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Re: Trigger a switch by stepping on another switch?

Post by dmitry_s »

If I understood the question correctly, you can link consecutive events so that triggering event 10 would trigger event 11 - Apoplexy has this option on the event editing screen. The problem is an event action is decided by the pressed tile. So if you step on an opener tile, it will send a signal to open both gates/tiles that are triggered by events 10 and 11. A closer tile would close both gates using the same event.

Another thing to realize is if you assign event #10 to 2 different tiles and a loose tile or a guard fall onto one of these tiles, the other tile will also stay pressed. To avoid this, and this is used extensively across the game, each opening button on both sides of a gate would get a separate event triggering the same gate.

"Trigger any tile" in CusPop or Apoplexy means you can trigger spikes/chompers/loose tiles/etc with an opener/closer tile. Therefore, if you want the same opener/closer tile to open one gate and close another, you can do a hack. Make event 10 open one of the gates and link that event to event 11. Event 11 can be mapped to a room that is not linked to any other room. In that room you would have a loose tile on top of a closer tile. So event 11 would cause the loose tile in that room to drop onto a closer tile. The closer tile would have another event associated to it which can close a different gate or a set of gates through event linking. The negatives are you would hear a loose tile crashing and there would be a slight delay before the gates close.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Trigger a switch by stepping on another switch?

Post by VelCheran »

I thought about the loose tile trick, and it works indeed: if I make a loose tile falls on a closing switch and another on an opening switch using consecutive events, it can close and open two doors at the same time, depending on their current state (so if you closed both doors before, they will open, otherwise they would close, etc). The drawback of this solution is that it can only work once: if you step again on the switch, it won't do anything because the loose tiles already fell.
But if you think there isn't any other solution, then I'll use this one ;)

(btw, I had this idea from Norbert's 8th suggestion for SDLPoP there)