Original Prince of Persia 1.0 1.3 and 1.4

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Original Prince of Persia 1.0 1.3 and 1.4

Post by Andrew »

The German version of PoP v1.1 I was referring to can be found here: http://princeofpersia.ppa.pl/down.html

Hmm, this is a strange one indeed! The floppy image you sent me contains the exact same files as PoP v1.0, except for the main Prince.exe, which is a different size. And yes, this is in English and it does say v1.1 inside the game. If the file size had been same, I'd have done a bitwise comparison and maybe figured out whether someone hex edited v1.0 as a joke to make it look like the fabled long-lost v1.1, but since the sizes are different, can't easily compare. This Prince.exe doesn't match those for v1.3 and v1.4 either, and the German v1.1 EXE is different as well. So either someone has changed an existing EXE a lot, or this could very well be an authentic copy of PoP v1.1.

Honestly, I can't say. Nothing is known of this version, since it has never been seen by the public AFAIK. I always thought v1.1 and v1.2 might have simply been internal test releases before v1.3 was released officially (and finally v1.4 years later for the Collector's Edition on CD). So if this is indeed v1.1 and there's also a v1.2 floating around somewhere (you have that too by any chance? :D), it is certainly something new to me.

BTW, I played PoP v1.0 and v1.1 a lot after downloading the latter and frankly, couldn't find any difference. If anything, it must have minor bug fixes or something, which is why I guess it was never deemed worth of a public release. If anyone else wants to compare them, you can get v1.1 here or here. I simply extracted the original floppy disk image and made an RAR since not many people may know how to deal with such files anymore. If anyone finds any difference between PoP v1.0 and v1.1, or more information about the latter, do post here.
duke
Efendi
Efendi

Post by duke »

No, sorry, that's all I've got.

If I had to guess, 1.1 and 1.2 were probably released like any other version but were short lived for whatever reason, perhaps additional bugs were found and they started shipping 1.3.

The 1.1 floppy image came from one of those TOSEC compilations, so perhaps in scouring the planet they dug a copy up.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Andrew wrote:Hmm, this is a strange one indeed! The floppy image you sent me contains the exact same files as PoP v1.0, except for the main Prince.exe, which is a different size.
This isn't all too strange considering that the German text stored in the executable is much longer. Ergo, more bytes have to be used and the file size is bigger.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

mk1995 wrote:This isn't all too strange considering that the German text stored in the executable is much longer. Ergo, more bytes have to be used and the file size is bigger.
Actually it is strange, since the floppy image he sent me contained the English v1.1 (which I've never seen before). The German v1.1 has been available for a very long time now, but I wonder how come the corresponding English version never became widespread (maybe 'cos it was never publicly released). Possibly after localizing the English v1.0 they changed the version so that the German release became v1.1.

P.S. The Prince.exe for v1.1 is actually smaller than the one for v1.0, if that makes any sense.

P.P.S. I find it even more likely now that this version was indeed an internal release and not meant for the public. The reason is that while the EXE contains the messages and codes for the copy-protection level, the level itself has been rendered ineffective and selecting any potion opens the door! Also, when you enter the level, it doesn't display the dialog box about having to select the correct potion according to Page X, Line Y, Word Z. The message about Page X, Line Y, Word Z is also missing from the statusbar at the bottom of the screen. While it is certainly possible that someone simply cracked the original EXE (in a major way), I feel that the code for displaying the dialog box, statusbar message and checking the validity of the potion selected was removed before compiling by the devs for faster gameplay testing, which would explain how v1.1's EXE is smaller than v1.0's. Still, I may be wrong, but if the floppy image I got was untampered, then this is the most likely explanation IMO.
DoutorHouse
Efendi
Efendi

Post by DoutorHouse »

I know this is a really old topic but if someone is still interested i have disk images for the 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3 versions. The modified/cracked 1.1 version found on the "The Hit Squad" version was originally published that way in 1992 and sold in Portugal, Spain, France and probably the UK and Germany too (maybe in some other countries). I believe they did it because it was a budget version and had just some instructions, not the complete manual. Some other games i own on budget releases were also sold with their protection removed (like the Kixx version of Monkey Island 2 which had no codewheel). What really bugs me is that i got Prince Of Persia 1.1 diskettes from ebay but no manual inside the box and the copy protection codes seem to be different from versions 1.0 and 1.3 and 1.4... Anyway, i hope this information is useful because i'll be happy to help projects like "The Ultimate Collection" getting more original versions and the original install.exe files (for completists like me).
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

DoutorHouse wrote:I know this is a really old topic but if someone is still interested i have disk images for the 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3 versions. The modified/cracked 1.1 version found on the "The Hit Squad" version was originally published that way in 1992 and sold in Portugal, Spain, France and probably the UK and Germany too (maybe in some other countries). I believe they did it because it was a budget version and had just some instructions, not the complete manual. Some other games i own on budget releases were also sold with their protection removed (like the Kixx version of Monkey Island 2 which had no codewheel). What really bugs me is that i got Prince Of Persia 1.1 diskettes from ebay but no manual inside the box and the copy protection codes seem to be different from versions 1.0 and 1.3 and 1.4... Anyway, i hope this information is useful because i'll be happy to help projects like "The Ultimate Collection" getting more original versions and the original install.exe files (for completists like me).
Apologies for the late reply. Wow, I've foraged through bargain bins and found plenty of gems, but none so far sold officially with copy protection removed! Are you sure these were authorized releases and not pirated copies passed off as originals? Even lacking the manual I find the former hard to believe. I'd love to get all the unmodified images from you (please upload them to any file host with decent retention and PM me the links) and also any links to the eBay page or if that's long gone then pictures/scans of the floppies if they have any stickers on them with interesting info. Thanks for your help! :)

Edit: I just found out that you've already uploaded the files here.
Last edited by Andrew on January 1st, 2014, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.