Expert
20%

Total votes: 20

mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Your PoP playing skill level?

Post by mk1995 »

This came to my mind when playing some difficult MODs (and failing desperately at them). The community is very different when it comes to skills when playing PoP1. So I put up a poll... The rest is self-explanatory.

To begin, I would consider my skill level being "Intermediate". I can beat the original game within half an hour (with collecting every life potion and fighting almost every single guard) and I do know a couple o' tricks necessary for speedrunning and puzzles on difficult MODs. When it comes to battles, though, I'm a bit too rash and thus lose quite some life.

What about you? And why do you think you belong into that skill level?

(Also, if the skill level you think you are in isn't in the poll, just ask and I'll add it in. ;))
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Your PoP playing skill level?

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I'll say that I'm an experienced player, and like you, I get full of myself and plunge into a swordfight, therefore losing many of my lives.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

The poll is lacking that option, but I'd say that I am Advanced. That is, I know most tricks and can solve most levels, but I'm not good enough to beat some levels like hanswurst's. Also, 3 chompers in a row from right to left is certain death to me, because I simply don't have the nerves to tiptoe through them safely. And don't you dare put more than 3 in a row. D:
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Veke wrote:The poll is lacking that option, but I'd say that I am Advanced. That is, I know most tricks and can solve most levels, but I'm not good enough to beat some levels like hanswurst's. Also, 3 chompers in a row from right to left is certain death to me, because I simply don't have the nerves to tiptoe through them safely. And don't you dare put more than 3 in a row. D:
That being said, I guess I'm advanced too. I can't finish hanswurst levels either, but I can do the chompers. Once you get to know them, they aren't to hard to run full speed into. But don't forget to jump!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I like hallways that are full of chompers where you have to run through from left to right. You just start running as soon as the first one slams and if you don't let go of the right arrow, you'll do fine.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Were you still able to run through unscathed?

Also, you can clear three chompers in a row from right to left. Here's how:

Code: Select all

_ = Tile
| = Chomper
# = Wall (used for reference on tiles)
P = Where the Prince should start

_|||__P     From where the P is (two tiles away from the rightmost chomper,
#######     wait until the first chomper chomped, then start running. Perform a 
            running jump as soon as you can and you should clear
            all three chompers.
You should begin running at full speed once the second chomper chomped and begin with the leap right before the third chomper, which should be chomping already.
mickey96
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by mickey96 »

I am intermediate.
Refueled my car! Now I can keep going!
John Wain
Vizier
Vizier

Post by John Wain »

I'd say I'm amateur. I never managed to finish PoP 1 within the hour limit; 'The Shadow and the Flame' is simply too much for me. I managed to get really good at the later Ubisoft games of PoP, but it's a lot harder in the original ones, where any mistake costs you your life and there's a time limit to it.
Arjak
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Arjak »

I would have to say that I'm an "Amateur." I can barely beat PoP1 under the time limit, and I've never even got past the caves in PoP2. Damn bridge...
musicmaker
Vizier
Vizier

Post by musicmaker »

I put that I was intermediate, because I can finish PoP1 in a fair amount of time with around 10 - 15 minutes to spare. But I still haven't completed PoP2, as I'm stuck on one of the really hard temple levels. :(
~We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.~

~Every move you make creates your destiny...~
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Yeah, the Temple levels are the worst (besides the ruins and the caves :lol: ). I think POP2 is impossible to win on the mac. My brother has one, and I've been trying to beat the last ruins level for, what, maybe two years now?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I hated the second temple level. With that jumps that have to be timed exactly to make it through the closing gates, this gets difficult. Sheesh...
musicmaker
Vizier
Vizier

Post by musicmaker »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:Yeah, the Temple levels are the worst (besides the ruins and the caves :lol: ). I think POP2 is impossible to win on the mac. My brother has one, and I've been trying to beat the last ruins level for, what, maybe two years now?
What do you play it on? The SNES?
Yeah I'm playing my version on the PC too.. it's really REALLY hard. :(
~We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.~

~Every move you make creates your destiny...~
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

I play it on the PC mainly, and occasionally get an old Mac out and play it there, but the SNES version is by far too glitchy to play.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Hell yeah! That first skeleton in Level 5 is a pain in the butt. You have no chance of reaction with that speed the ROM goes on, so I kept getting killed within seconds.