The Lost Crown

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

The Lost Crown

Post by Norbert »

scape
Efendi
Efendi

Re: The Lost Crown

Post by scape »

I was excited when I heard about this, and on paper it sounded cool - a 2d Prince of Persia game with metroidvania elements. Unfortunately, the music in the trailer and the general art style and tone have really cemented that Ubisoft are not able to treat the IP with respect and it just killed it for me. They've very obviously angled for a barebones game that they can turn around quickly and that will run on something like the switch for maximum profits.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Going by just the trailer, it gets a thumbs up from me.
spaztron64
Efendi
Efendi

Post by spaztron64 »

Mmh, Celeste with swords set in African Overwatch/Paladins, with that music no less... Nah, not sold on the idea.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

The music in the trailer shouldn't be an indication of the music used in the game itself. Ubisoft usually goes with music that is wildly different than the in-game soundtrack for their trailers.

It's nice to see Ubisoft making a new Prince of Persia title, but I don't think the gameplay shown is for me. I'm also becoming a bit burned out on Metroidvanias. They can be fun, but there are so many of them these days.

One good thing about indie games and low budget games is that it's a good way for niche genres to get revived, but I wish that extended to cinematic platformers as well. The only cinematic platformer with gameplay similar to classic Prince of Persia that I can think of from the last 20 years is LUNARK: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1050370/LUNARK/

Would be nice if we got even more. I'm not expecting Ubisoft to make one, though (well, unless the genre suddenly explodes in popularity out of nowhere).
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Alberto
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Alberto »

Prince of Persia™: The Lost Crown, available on January 18, 2024, on all platforms.

Alberto
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Alberto »

Official PC requirements & console specs:
PoP TLC Specs.JPG
PoP TLC Console.JPG
Okay the PC requirements are a little too high for my PC :lol: I guess I'll play on console then.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

I think there's a demo that dropped yesterday that's available on all or most systems.

The review embargo went up and most reviews for the game are super positive.
Alberto
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Alberto »

Maybe the stylized graphics are not to everyone's taste but I find the game very colorful and the backgrounds are so beautiful. I can't decide myself whether I like it or not until I try it out, but overall I think it's good enough to give it a try, and a new PoP title to add to the collection.

PS. I think we may need a new subsection under PoP Games.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

I tried the demo. It's pretty good for a Metroidvania-style game. The graphics and voice acting are pretty good as well. And the combat is much more in-depth than what's typical for the genre. I think I'll enjoy the full game whenever I get it, and I'll probably like this more than all the 3D POP games (as always, I'll still prefer POP1/2).

I wish they would show off what they had worked on for POP3. I'm very curious what that looked like. I wanna say Mechner said it was the same studio that worked on it as this game?
Sance
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Sance »

FluffyQuack wrote: January 15th, 2024, 4:27 am I wish they would show off what they had worked on for POP3. I'm very curious what that looked like. I wanna say Mechner said it was the same studio that worked on it as this game?
Yeah, Ubi Montpellier worked on PoP 3 too. I'm super curious on what the plan was there, afaik that game was not going to be a metroidvania though. Still, I have a strong suspicion that a few things in TLC might originate from PoP 3 because the new game is really good at visually referencing the old stuff, especially PoP 2.

Anyway I went through TLC twice so I liked it very much and it's absolutely one of the best metroidvania style platformers.
_Zaphod_
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by _Zaphod_ »

Fun fact.

This game literally has actual Persian dub and subtitles.

That alone is worth major PoP points right there.