[Issue?] Skeleton moving forward regardless of my position

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

[Issue?] Skeleton moving forward regardless of my position

Post by robert »

I figured this goes here... so you see, I was playing Dungeon Quest level 3 in SDLPoP, and met this phenomenon where a certain skeleton on an upper row would immediately start moving forward nonstop as soon as I get in the room from the middle row.

This skeleton appears on the rightmost tile (well, either tile 9 or 10), and only stops moving whenever I hop onto upper row or while climbing on the tile, or until it steps on close to the edge of the floor. Now, several rooms before, you meet a different skeleton in this room:

You may skip past the thing, but this time I tried to see if I could delete it so I could snag the potion safely. It took a while but I managed to push skelly through the leftmost wall:

Then later found me stuck with the other skeleton always killing me no matter what...

BUT here's the twist: if I don't remove the first skeleton (2nd pic), meaning I skip past it, the second one (1st pic) will appear still and only move when I actually approach it on the same level. How odd...

Now I'll let you know I'm aware that something like this happens in the original level too: push the skeleton off the room, drop yourself into that same room, skel already appears moving forward and either hits you or not. I just didn't realize until today this could happen with different, pre-placed skeletons, that you "kill" one and the rest appear already active?? Is this a known thing? maybe by now it is..

Well, if anyone knows an explanation to this, or could confirm they've had this happening too, I'd like to 'know!

Oh btw, I'm sure it's just a vanilla PoP thing and not specifically related to SDLPoP ...
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: [Issue?] Skeleton moving forward regardless of my position

Post by Norbert »

robert wrote: November 29th, 2022, 6:41 pm [...] phenomenon where a certain skeleton on an upper row would immediately start moving forward nonstop as soon as I get in the room from the middle row.
This sounds like a well-known bug/trick, #119:

Probably there's a forum topic about it somewhere.

[Edit:]
viewtopic.php?p=34679#p34679
viewtopic.php?p=34680#p34680
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Re: [Issue?] Skeleton moving forward regardless of my position

Post by robert »

Right, I figured some of this was known stuff already, though as I see in the trick video the first skelly wasn't knocked off the room, and yet the other skelly moves forward anyways (unless that first one did have to fall into antother room in order to record the trick). In the case I mentioned in the OP, the latter skelly won't start moving right away if I haven't killed the previous one - it will basically remain still like any other guard type, and only inch forward when I get close enough.

The links you shared do clarify skelly's active behaviour in the original level very well. However, what confuses me now is the condition(s) that need to be met: does a skelly have to fall into another room to cause other skellies to always advance, or, is it enough if only the prince falls off?
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods