Modernizing Prince of Persia - What would you recommend?

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
scape
Efendi
Efendi

Modernizing Prince of Persia - What would you recommend?

Post by scape »

Hi all, I've been away from the community for a bit, but been getting that itch again. Since the PoP source code was released we have seen several ports to run on modern systems/web browsers etc. But looking at many of the mods listed on here, they still appear to be stuck with many of the limitations of the original game (and the dos port at that, which was the inferior version imo if you compare it to the mac). I would like to do some very nice graphics and music for a PoP mod - last time I checked I had to extract resources with a command line and they were limited to 16 colours etc. With these new ports of PoP which would be best for a modern mod? Eg good graphics (lots of colours), and the possibility of music/ambient soundscapes playing throughout levels? It seems it should be a cinch to do these things nowadays, yet many of the mods I see are not utilising such things. Is there no interest for such things, or am I overlooking something?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Modernizing Prince of Persia - What would you recommend?

Post by Norbert »

scape wrote: March 21st, 2022, 2:27 pm Hi all, I've been away from the community for a bit, but been getting that itch again. Since the PoP source code was released we have seen several ports to run on modern systems/web browsers etc. But looking at many of the mods listed on here, they still appear to be stuck with many of the limitations of the original game (and the dos port at that, which was the inferior version imo if you compare it to the mac). I would like to do some very nice graphics and music for a PoP mod - last time I checked I had to extract resources with a command line and they were limited to 16 colours etc. With these new ports of PoP which would be best for a modern mod? Eg good graphics (lots of colours), and the possibility of music/ambient soundscapes playing throughout levels? It seems it should be a cinch to do these things nowadays, yet many of the mods I see are not utilising such things. Is there no interest for such things, or am I overlooking something?
Hi. Nowadays, extraction of resources isn't necessary. To use SDLPoP as an obvious example. It ships with PNG images in its data/ subdirectories. These are indexed, but can be freely modified to use true color (24-bit). You can also add custom, high-bitrate sound files to its data/music/ subdirectory. As there is no default in-level background music, you'd have to ask an SDLPoP developer to supplement the existing soundids to introduce this customization. A related, as yet unanswered, post here.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Japanese SDL PoP mod has an implementation of background music using SDL Mixer.

https://github.com/spaztron64/SDLPoP-JP ... 21jp-beta1
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=4644
scape
Efendi
Efendi

Post by scape »

Fantastic, thanks guys! SDLPop sounds like the way to go! :D