Prince of Persia 1 coop mode, would it be possible?

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
Zerovski
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Prince of Persia 1 coop mode, would it be possible?

Post by Zerovski »

I've been wondering about this for the last few days, but is there a mod/hack of PoP1 with a 2-player cooperative mode (split screen)? If not, would this be possible somehow? I think it would be really cool, you could probably do some interesting custom levels with coop play in mind, with some interesting platforming, puzzles and set pieces.

Anyone know if something like this exists or is possible? Cheers!
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Re: Prince of Persia 1 coop mode, would it be possible?

Post by yourantumayel69 »

Zerovski wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:03 pm I've been wondering about this for the last few days, but is there a mod/hack of PoP1 with a 2-player cooperative mode (split screen)? If not, would this be possible somehow? I think it would be really cool, you could probably do some interesting custom levels with coop play in mind, with some interesting platforming, puzzles and set pieces.

I think it used MININIM, but I don't know how I use it.
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3794
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
Zerovski
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Zerovski »

yourantumayel69 wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Zerovski wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:03 pm I've been wondering about this for the last few days, but is there a mod/hack of PoP1 with a 2-player cooperative mode (split screen)? If not, would this be possible somehow? I think it would be really cool, you could probably do some interesting custom levels with coop play in mind, with some interesting platforming, puzzles and set pieces.

I think it used MININIM, but I don't know how I use it.
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3794
I'm reading about MININIM (which is funny cause I'm Brazilian and didn't catch the reference) but I didn't see anything about 2-player or coop. Someone asked the creator about it and it was supposed to be a feature in the future with online play, but MININIM was never updated again.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Zerovski wrote: April 25th, 2020, 3:03 pmPoP1 with a 2-player
Might be possible one day.
Among other places, I brought it up here.

I even tried adding some related network code to SDLPoP here.
But, as I wrote there, the only way for me to continue that project would be to first make all the SDLPoP code (more) readable.
And that would be a massive undertaking, plus devs don't like the idea of me doing this.
(David likely likes his own style, and Falcury commented "I personally do like David's style, [...]" and wrote "Especially as I too try to work in David's style".)

In a way, multiplayer is already possible with Blocks of Persia:
Alberto wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:32 amPlaying as two, three or.... infinite Princes! since the editor doesn't have a limit to the princes you can generate in the level, you can actually play as multiple princes :lol:
There is also a forum thread where I suggest how I could add functionality to apoplexy to place multiple princes inside the legacy version (DOS) of the game, that SDLPoP (and MININIM) could then pick up on.
For the life of me, I cannot find this thread... I've been searching for more than an hour now.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: April 26th, 2020, 11:20 am There is also a forum thread where I suggest how I could add functionality to apoplexy to place multiple princes inside the legacy version (DOS) of the game, that SDLPoP (and MININIM) could then pick up on.
For the life of me, I cannot find this thread... I've been searching for more than an hour now.
Do you mean this? viewtopic.php?p=24535#p24535
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: April 26th, 2020, 3:03 pmDo you mean this? viewtopic.php?p=24535#p24535
Yes! That's it. :)
Zerovski
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Zerovski »

If I knew how to code I'd definitely help. I think it would be such a neat feature to have, kinda surprising PoP games (the overwhelming majority of them at least) never tried to do something with multiplayer races or coop modes.
Norbert wrote: April 26th, 2020, 11:20 am In a way, multiplayer is already possible with Blocks of Persia
Neat, I'll download it now!

Edit: I downloaded the Windows version, but it doesn't seem to work very well. It's very buggy.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Somewhat related, I've created an SDLPoP feature request for: local 'multiplayer'
If that's ever implemented, it should become easier to make networked co-op possible.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: January 9th, 2021, 5:33 pmSomewhat related, I've created an SDLPoP feature request for: local 'multiplayer'
Currently, on my local computer, I'm attempting to implement this. The probability of success is incredibly low. But I want to, at least, be able to say that I gave it a real shot. In 2016, I briefly looked at networking, but it wasn't a serious investment of time and energy.