Question about Prince of Persia custom levels in popot.org

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
JTD
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Question about Prince of Persia custom levels in popot.org

Post by JTD »

Good day, I have a question regarding the Prince of Persia custom levels in popot.org website:

I have noticed that most of them do not have a "setup.exe" on them, and when I try to play them through DosBox I get the default PC Speaker sound (some of these custom levels have new sounds so using PC Speaker is detrimental to notice all the changes done to them)

Is there a way to use Sound Blaster by default in these Custom Levels despite them not having a setup?

Thank you so much in advance!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Question about Prince of Persia custom levels in popot.org

Post by Norbert »

Hi JTD.
JTD wrote: August 16th, 2018, 1:39 pmIs there a way to use Sound Blaster by default in these Custom Levels despite them not having a setup?
Several versions of PoP for DOS exist, and as you noticed not all mods (custom levels) use the same version. Version 1.0 is used a lot, and it has no setup program. You can use a .BAT file with "PRINCE.EXE Sblast" to force that version to use the Sound Blaster (Pro).
JTD
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by JTD »

I see! Thank you so much for your answer Norbert! The parameters link will come in handy!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

JTD wrote: August 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm when I try to play them through DosBox I get the default PC Speaker sound
PoP should prefer Sound Blaster to PC Speaker (if SB is enabled in DOSBox).
However, PoP sometimes can't detect SB if the cycles value is too high in DOSBox. What cycles value do you use?
You could try it with cycles=3000.

I already wrote about this here: viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2638