Genre of Mods

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Genre of Mods

Post by kj-5349 »

As of nearly end of May 2018, currently there are almost 200 DOS/SDLPoP mods, 8 PoP2 and 23 SNES mods.
Based on Genre, it may be perhaps interesting to see how mods are categorised, like how movies and songs are sorted in genres.

I would start first... I haven't tried every mod yet with 200+ being huge. A few genres that come to mind are already: tricky, story, puzzle.

Tricky - This genre is for mods that uses tricks to survive through, and very prominent since 2012. I've noticed a small subgroup who would be authors as well as regular players of each other's mods. Also chronologically I believe, yaqxsw - Armfly - Khushal - Suaveprince, then recently Tamison and Aram. I'm out of this club as I cannot survive after a few rooms or even the starting room, and can only enjoy the Youtube walkthroughs. There has been a harsh user commenting in popot complaining about the existence of these trick mods, but don't let it get you down, as that is only one person's opinion and continue creating what you love to make.

Story - Possibly I'm talking about my mods, but this genre covers mods that has customised their stories. (Not mk1995, or programmer's mods as after Google translating the Polish texts, they were found to be paraphrasing the original). Musa's Lost in the Forest+Kariba Adventures, Darth Marsden's KX Out of Time, Norbert's mods, my Battle Hardened series and SNES Level 15, NITM-T mods, Dark77's Secrets of Dungeons, The Tournament are examples for this genre.

Puzzle - actually this one might not be so clear. I noticed R3 liking Coco's mods and Norbert's impressed opinion on Repetition of Time and Tacosalad's Potion mods, I also agree on their fun and brain-teasing level designs. They are of average difficulty and doesn't force you to pass with tricks. Other examples can be David's Levels and Jakubbw's levels. Not sure if Mirages of Persia can be considered for this or Tricky?

I've no idea Butcher's Arabian Nightmares falls under which genre....

Mods can be classified with more than one genre.
Any other genres, feel free to add them here, as well as adding example mods to them if desired :)
What do you guys think? :)
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Re: Genre of Mods

Post by yourantumayel69 »

You are offline, let me create my new mods.
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.