Whats the point of the Shift+B in POP1 ??

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
Nico
Efendi
Efendi

Whats the point of the Shift+B in POP1 ??

Post by Nico »

When you activate the cheats and you hit Shift+B you can see that only the animated sprites are shown on the screen and some other sprites when the kid is close to them with some flickering.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Whats the point of the Shift+B in POP1 ??

Post by mk1995 »

Hmm...

a) It's a source of challenge for a MOD if only the sprites can be seen. Having this forcibly enabled greatly increases the difficulty.

b) It can be useful for sprite-ripping.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

How do you forcibly enable this?
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

By hacking the PRINCE.EXE, of course.

CusPoP should have that option as well now, if I can remember correctly...
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Tristan »

mk1995 wrote:By hacking the PRINCE.EXE, of course.

CusPoP should have that option as well now, if I can remember correctly...
if ya enable the cheat mode :P and the PoP totlal pack has also a cheat mode
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

programmer wrote:
if ya enable the cheat mode and the PoP totlal pack has also a cheat mode
Are you really unable to read or just pretending?
Slowly but securely, I'm starting to think the same...
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Think about it... And if all you're after is to increase your post count by posting inanities, don't you have anything better to do with your time?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Who exactly is this dedicated to? Tristan? Programmer? Me? All three of us?
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I think maybe Tristan & programmer, though since I've just done what Andrew pointed out and spoken, I'm no doubt a fool. I knew that already though so it's no problem! :razz: But seriously, is forcing the Shift+B an ALL level thing or do you get to choose a level? AND is it on the stand-alone cuspop progran, or the online one?
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

[offtopic]
Andrew could also mean me, after all, I didn't write something very productive, either.
[/offtopic]

It's definitely on the online version of CusPoP, since that one's the more recent.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

mk1995 wrote:Who exactly is this dedicated to? Tristan? Programmer? Me? All three of us?
Why should you or Eagle feel that I was talking about you two, or indeed for that matter programmer? My statement was purely a reaction to what tristan had thoughtlessly posted above, which programmer and you (mk) had already criticised (and rightly so). Anyway, I know he's a kid but still, he really needs to choose his words more carefully (esp. the swearing etc.) so that he makes a better reputation for himself.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:But seriously, is forcing the Shift+B an ALL level thing or do you get to choose a level? AND is it on the stand-alone cuspop progran, or the online one?
mk1995 wrote:It's definitely on the online version of CusPoP, since that one's the more recent.
Well the online version doesn't seem to have it. However, it has an option to force Shift-I (upside-down), called "Customize flipdown".
I have a list of memory offsets and it says that the blind mode is stored in 4CC2/4EB2/4C86, depending on the version.
There is a topic called Modifications to prince.exe (hex editing), I think I'll post the hack there.
mrsid
Efendi
Efendi

Post by mrsid »

Shift-B enables a mode where the game doesn't perform the initial drawing when you enter the screen, but only shows the parts which are updated during the screen. So this are basically the animated parts of the screen, and the front pieces, i.e. the parts that obscure the player.
The purpose of this mode is to check if there are any unnecessary redraws happening, because those would slow the game down. So it was most likely used to optimize performance.
Veke
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Veke »

I originally intended that level 9 of Kid of Persia would have this mode on by default. But I didn't get an answer on how to have it enabled at just that level. Thinking back, that would have been just painful to play, anyhow.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Why? If I remember correctly you had potions lining out the passages, so the player would have had at least some clue.