Editing level movings

Prince of Persia related subjects that do not have their own boards.
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Editing level movings

Post by Emiliano »

Hi everyone
There's a level which I do never edit or remain original ideas, I'm talking about the demo level
I would like to know if is there anyway to make the prince move differently?
Besides it would be interesting to have a different demo level
Thanks for your help…
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Editing level movings

Post by Norbert »

Emiliano Fierro wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:34 amdemo level [...] there anyway to make the prince move differently?
I don't think there's a way to change his moves yet.

However, it is possible to make the level playable with CusPop by changing the "Demo level status".
Emiliano Fierro wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:34 amBesides it would be interesting to have a different demo level
Some mods do have seemingly different demo level moves.

See, for example, starting 2:04 in the fist video ("Intro Sequence") here.
That's the demo level of Micro Palace.
The prince still makes the same moves, but it looks different because he starts facing right and because the level layout is different.

Another example, starting 2:04 in the first video ("Intro Sequence") here.
That's the demo level of Prince of Wateria.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Even I would like if there's any editor which makes you edit level moves. It could be useful for showing what exactly is interesting in the game...
Example: Let's say I was to modify some graphics in DAT files and it could be used for kinda spoliers. Or something similar... (I'm not thinking any good use-case other than this where modifying Demo Level is very very crucial!)
It would be nice if there's any tool for modifying that bytes in the EXE... :)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: June 11th, 2020, 12:12 pm
Emiliano Fierro wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:34 amdemo level [...] there anyway to make the prince move differently?
There is, though it might be user-unfriendly because it involves hex editing: viewtopic.php?p=11243#p11243

(By the way, you recently posted a link to the same post, here: viewtopic.php?p=29261#p29261 )
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: June 13th, 2020, 4:58 pm
Norbert wrote: June 11th, 2020, 12:12 pm
There is, though it might be user-unfriendly because it involves hex editing: viewtopic.php?p=11243#p11243

(By the way, you recently posted a link to the same post, here: viewtopic.php?p=29261#p29261 )
Those are the shadow's movements though, right?
Emiliano asked for the prince's movements.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: June 13th, 2020, 8:22 pm
David wrote: June 13th, 2020, 4:58 pm There is, though it might be user-unfriendly because it involves hex editing: viewtopic.php?p=11243#p11243
[...]
Those are the shadow's movements though, right?
Emiliano asked for the prince's movements.
The post contains both "Shadow moves on level 5" and "Demo moves" (Prince's moves on demo level), one after the other.
(Maybe I should bold those two subheadings so they stand out more?)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: June 14th, 2020, 7:05 pm(Maybe I should bold those two subheadings so they stand out more?)
Ah.
Yes, that would be better.
Maybe even add "prince" to "demo moves"?
David wrote: June 13th, 2020, 4:58 pmThere is, though it might be user-unfriendly because it involves hex editing
I'll add it to the apoplexy to-do list.
The last release added the F3 screen (loose floor settings); should be enough space left there.
(Anything else apoplexy should allow that's currently hex edits or CusPop only? That many modders might want to use, I mean...)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: June 14th, 2020, 8:54 pm (Anything else apoplexy should allow that's currently hex edits or CusPop only? That many modders might want to use, I mean...)
Maybe allowing one-click feature to randomize color-palletes of the guards? I wanted to use that, but haven't got time to install hex editor and learn how to do it...

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: June 14th, 2020, 8:54 pm
David wrote: June 14th, 2020, 7:05 pm(Maybe I should bold those two subheadings so they stand out more?)
Ah.
Yes, that would be better.
Maybe even add "prince" to "demo moves"?
Done both: viewtopic.php?p=11243#p11243
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 9:17 pmone-click feature to randomize color-palletes of the guards
Currently, available colors are 1-7, those used in the original game. I could add an option to make it 255 (0xFF) or anything else 8-254, causing the game to take the colors from memory areas related to either sound or garbage. However, according to page 16 of this document "This may also cause a game crash." I don't know if the latter is true or not, but unless David or someone else can guarantee it's not true, I don't think I should provide modders with the option... And then the question becomes, will 8-254 have different (random?) effects than 255.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: June 15th, 2020, 12:48 pm
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 9:17 pmone-click feature to randomize color-palletes of the guards
However, according to page 16 of this document "This may also cause a game crash."
Oh, I didn't know that!
Maybe, it's just a caution for the player... Because the trashed memory data can be anything and that may crash the game, that seems reasonable. Although having such memory data on the players computer would have a very less probability I guess...
Norbert wrote: June 15th, 2020, 12:48 pm but unless David or someone else can guarantee it's not true, I don't think I should provide modders with the option... And then the question becomes, will 8-254 have different (random?) effects than 255.
Yes, it's best David or Falcury can answer this.

Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

Hi Datar, do you want to set trashed memory guards?
this post may help you
David taught me to do that when I asked how to add an eight guard palette, you follow a similar process; and Norbert gave me links to Hex editors
Good luck doing this ;)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

No, I wanted the feature in Apoplexy to automatically do the random color guards for me, instead of me to do hex-editing. And Norbert wanted to know if it's secure to do (although nor David, nor Falcury have answered it), or may crash the game, or worse: users' computer.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Emiliano Fierro wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:34 amI would like to know if is there anyway to make the prince move differently?
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: June 11th, 2020, 2:39 pmEven I would like if there's any editor which makes you edit level moves.
Update post, in case someone new ever reads this thread...
As you've probably read, apoplexy 3.9 and newer can do this, via the F3 screen.
Both the shadow (on level 5) and the prince (on the demo level) can be made to do things for about 21 seconds total (255 ticks).
For the prince more moves are available, allowing for more elaborate actions to be performed.
Future SDLPoP versions, i.e. newer than 1.20, will allow users to quickly test modified demo level moves (e.g. by launching that level from apoplexy, with "d" and then "s").