PoP2 bugs

Second part of the best game ever made.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Re: PoP2 bugs

Post by dmitrys »

In SDLPoP, if you draw the sword manually, a gate would close with the Kid in the middle of it. You would be able to move in either direction and it will not push you out. The wall check only happens if you are in front or behind the tile. Once you move out of the gate, you will not be able to pass.

There is logic in SDLPoP for walls that pushes you out which can probably be applied to closed gates. But it can cause all kinds of bugs including the one where kid falls through the floor after a jump when aligned a certain way.

I also tried adding logic where kid can turn around with the sword manually but it was causing bugs that allowed kid to move through tiles like gates.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

While trying to replicate how POP2 renders a level, I stumbled upon what looks like a visual bug in POP2.

Here's a screenshot of the third level in POP2 (v1.1). Note the light in the bottomleft corner:
prince_001.png
prince_001.png (45.34 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
This is the texture used for rendering the outer part of the alcove with the light inside:
res3552-64-0-0.png
res3552-64-0-0.png (324 Bytes) Viewed 3102 times
Might not be apparent unless you open both images and zoom it, but the 7 bottom pixel rows of the alcove are missing. I think this is a bug related to render order. In this instance, the game looks to be rendering these elements in this order:
  • Background art for tile
  • The two alcove art assets
  • Tile art
The problem is that the tile art in the caverns tileset is pretty tall, so it ends up being rendered on top of the bottom part of the alcove.
Alberto
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Alberto »

This is a weird one. I'm playing on V1.0.

I haven't fully understood the trigger, it's either constantly loading level 03 after dying or pressing space to check the time left (on level 03), which is not shown after the first tree cutscene on level 05. The effect is that level 03's cutscene doesn't trigger, and neither all of the other cutscenes. That's the setup.

After this, you can continue playing as normal but no cutscenes will trigger causing the time to be unlimited and some minor graphical glitches, most notably the transitions on Level 05 and Level 09:

You can now play a glitched level 10!
PoP2_GlitchL10.JPG
When you finish the game the time will be at 75.
PoP2_75.JPG
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

Alberto wrote: January 14th, 2024, 3:34 am This is a weird one. I'm playing on V1.0.

I haven't fully understood the trigger, it's either constantly loading level 03 after dying or pressing space to check the time left (on level 03), which is not shown after the first tree cutscene on level 05. The effect is that level 03's cutscene doesn't trigger, and neither all of the other cutscenes. That's the setup.

After this, you can continue playing as normal but no cutscenes will trigger causing the time to be unlimited and some minor graphical glitches, most notably the transitions on Level 05 and Level 09:

PoP2_GlitchL10.JPG

PoP2_75.JPG
I've seen someone mention a glitch that results in cutscenes not playing and they claim a fix is to restart the game once (Alt+R) after booting it up and then all cutscenes would play normally. Edit: Never mind my suggestion. It's not a reliable way of avoiding the cutscene bug.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

Alberto wrote: January 14th, 2024, 3:34 am This is a weird one. I'm playing on V1.0.

PoP2_GlitchL10.JPG

PoP2_75.JPG
I saw a streamer struggle with the same bug so I was inspired to figure out more about it.

I think this is the trigger for it: Play a cracked version of POP2 (I used a crack that was dated August 2005) and load a level 3 savegame.

If you do that, you won't get the cutscene when exiting the level. However, I could not replicate this when playing with the uncracked version. So maybe this is a bug caused by a badly-made crack.

Edit: I think we're 10 years late talking about this bug: viewtopic.php?t=3398
Alberto
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Alberto »

FluffyQuack wrote: January 29th, 2024, 3:46 pm Edit: I think we're 10 years late talking about this bug: viewtopic.php?t=3398
Great, now I feel really silly 🤡
:lol: