Small collection of old PoP1 X68000 patches

Discuss other PoP1 related things here.
spaztron64
Efendi
Efendi

Small collection of old PoP1 X68000 patches

Post by spaztron64 »

Attached is a set of patches and TSRs intended for use with PoP1 X68000. They are:

-PRINCE.LZH: An unnamed bdiff patch that supposedly improves performance. I haven't been able to get this one to work, unfortunately.

-PRINCEDO.LZH: Also known as SuperPrince, is another, much larger bdiff patch that also improves performance. With it, stock 10MHz models will match the speed of the PAL Amiga port most of the time.
I've included a PRINCE.X with this patch already applied. Simply drop it into Disk B or into your HDD installation of the game.
-PERUWIDE.LZH: A TSR meant to allow switching horizontal sync frequency in-game to better fit 24kHz monitors. Potentially useful for real hardware owners.
-BdifSet.LZH: A set of utilities meant for creating and applying bdiff patches. If you want to apply .BFD patches yourself, use BUP.X with the -NC and -NT commandline arguments.

Sidenote: As we know, the game's normally not framerate limited, only during swordfights. I've done some reverse-engineering, and have determined that the game checks for sword_status every frame. If it's set to 02 (identical to sword_2_drawn in SDLPoP), framelimiting will be enabled. Sadly, due to poor debugging tools and the game's incredibly sloppy code, I haven't been able to find and modify the routine that handles framelimiting or the tick rate it sets.
Attachments
prince_x68_bdiffs.zip
(166.08 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Small collection of old PoP1 X68000 patches

Post by David »

spaztron64 wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:14 pm I've included a PRINCE.X with this patch already applied. Simply drop it into Disk B or into your HDD installation of the game.
Are there any tools for editing X68000 disk images?...
...with some quick search I found this: https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68 ... isk_images
Though that's about *hard disk* images.
spaztron64
Efendi
Efendi

Re: Small collection of old PoP1 X68000 patches

Post by spaztron64 »

Unfortunately, the only real way of editing the game files is to copy them from the disk to a hard drive image and then editing the latter in a program like DiskExplorer, as noted in the guide there.