A level editor for (one of) the Japanese ports?

Discuss other PoP1 related things here.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

A level editor for (one of) the Japanese ports?

Post by Amethyst »

I'm feeling a bit bad for just asking since I can't code my way out of a shoebox, but has anyone considered making a level editor for (one of) the Japanese ports, preferably the PC-98 version (the FM Towns, X68000 or Mega-CD one would be cool too)?
These versions just have some kind of... "unique" feeling in my book, mainly due to their high resolution for the time and the final boss level, as well as the fact they were (presumably) not very well-known outside of Japan with the exception of the Mega-CD version.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: A level editor for (one of) the Japanese ports?

Post by Norbert »

Amethyst wrote: December 14th, 2021, 12:08 am[...] has anyone considered making a level editor for (one of) the Japanese ports, preferably the PC-98 version (the FM Towns, X68000 or Mega-CD one would be cool too)?
I have considered that. The PC-98 port is indeed "really good". I've created various PoP level editors, and several times PC-98 was one of the candidates. However, I considered it too "obscure". David may have useful pointers for someone to get started.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

Norbert wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:12 pm I have considered that. The PC-98 port is indeed "really good". I've created various PoP level editors, and several times PC-98 was one of the candidates. However, I considered it too "obscure".
Cool. It's definitely obscure but very enjoyable and playable. The additional final boss level fits the game very well IMO - it's a shame the DOS version didn't get that. I think it was also the first-ever port to be released with the DOS version being the second), which grants it some significance.

Is it a coincidence that both the PC-98 and SNES versions were developed by Arsys Software, and that both are among the best ports/versions? ;)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:12 pm[...], and several times PC-98 was one of the candidates. However, I considered it too "obscure".
Also, now that David has documented much of it, I can safely write I would have been unable to sufficiently figure out this port by myself anyway. This port's format is relatively complex.