On the subject of Jaffar's hitpoints

Discuss other PoP1 related things here.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

On the subject of Jaffar's hitpoints

Post by Amethyst »

I've always found the fact that Jaffar has to make do with only 6 hitpoints on most versions a little disappointing to be honest, given the Prince can have up to 10 (or 9 in the versions where merging with the Shadow doesn't result in another HP being awarded). I also found him to be very easy on all versions I've played so far, apart from the SNES one, making the final battle quite short.

Some versions deviate, though (this list may well be incomplete):
  • FM Towns, PC98, PC Engine, X68000: 9 HPs
  • NES: 4 HPs (just a normal guard here!)
  • SAM Coupé: 7 HPs
  • Sega CD: 8 HPs
  • SNES: 21 HPs
I've also noticed that in the Android version of PoP Classic, he has 9 HPs like in most of the Japanese versions - in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions it's 6 "as usual".

Anyway, just a thought :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: On the subject of Jaffar's hitpoints

Post by Norbert »

Indeed, Jaffar has few hit points and he has limited skills. On top of that, it takes almost no time to revisit him if necessary, because of the checkpoint between levels 12a and 12b. Mostly just passing the falling loose tiles. The SNES version provides a better challenge, although I remember disliking his attack that floats the prince upward.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

Norbert wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:02 pm The SNES version provides a better challenge, although I remember disliking his attack that floats the prince upward.
You're not alone. :) Although this attack feels fitting for a sorcerer, it's frustrating to be killed in one blow and have to restart the battle. I really like that the block-strike-block-strike-etc. chain goes on infinitely with the SNES Jaffar, though, so that a different strategy is called for. That would have been fitting for the other versions too, rather than making him just ever so slightly more difficult than Fatty.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Amethyst wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm [*]FM Towns, PC98, PC Engine, X68000: 9 HPs
[*]Sega CD: 8 HPs
In these versions, Jaffar is on the Princess's level.
On Level 12b there is a guard with 6 HPs in place of Jaffar.
Amethyst wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm [*]SNES: 21 HPs
On the SNES, the fight with Jaffar has two phases:
A magic battle, where Jaffar has 7 HPs; and a sword battle, where Jaffar has 15 HPs.
The first phase ends when Jaffar has only 1 HP left.
This means that you need to take 7-1+15 = 21 HPs from him, as you wrote.
Amethyst wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm I've also noticed that in the Android version of PoP Classic, he has 9 HPs like in most of the Japanese versions - in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions it's 6 "as usual".
I looked up videos of these versions.
They have two final bosses, like the Japanese PC versions.
But unlike those versions, both bosses have the same number of HPs.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

David wrote: July 31st, 2021, 2:54 pm In these versions, Jaffar is on the Princess's level.
On Level 12b there is a guard with 6 HPs in place of Jaffar.
Indeed; the X68000 port curiously designates the Princess' level as 14 and the room outside where Jaffar is confronted as 15; Level 12b is promoted to 13.
David wrote: July 31st, 2021, 2:54 pm On the SNES, the fight with Jaffar has two phases:
A magic battle, where Jaffar has 7 HPs; and a sword battle, where Jaffar has 15 HPs.
The first phase ends when Jaffar has only 1 HP left.
This means that you need to take 7-1+15 = 21 HPs from him, as you wrote.
Yes, that's what I meant to say. :) He has 22 HPs in total but only 21 hits are necessary to dispatch him.
David wrote: July 31st, 2021, 2:54 pm
Amethyst wrote: July 27th, 2021, 7:55 pm I've also noticed that in the Android version of PoP Classic, he has 9 HPs like in most of the Japanese versions - in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions it's 6 "as usual".
I looked up videos of these versions.
They have two final bosses, like the Japanese PC versions.
But unlike those versions, both bosses have the same number of HPs.
The Android version of PoP Classic is a bit peculiar in this regard. On Level 12b, Jaffar appears with 9 HPs. After three hits (i.e. with 6 HPs left), he summons - or transforms into? - the giant from level 6. On Level 13, Jaffar appears again, with 9 HPs, for the final fight.

I also find it funny that in PoP Classic, some guards in level 9, 10, and 11 have 7 HPs, i.e. one more than Jaffar has in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. Perhaps it was thought that with Jaffar's laser staph and ability to push you backwards, 6 HPs were more than adequate! :)