popyorn 0.9b

Discuss other PoP1 related things here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

popyorn 0.9b

Post by Norbert »

I've just released popyorn, a level editor of Prince of Persia for the Macintosh.

For Windows: popyorn-0.9b-win32.zip (mirror)
For GNU/Linux: popyorn-0.9b.tar.gz (mirror)

A while back I posted some preview screenshots here.

Playtesting
For playtesting, you'll need a bunch of extra files.
A boot disk, ROM file, HFS file, and an emulator.
GNU/Linux users can read this PDF to learn more.
Windows (and macOS) users, either read the PDF above for info, or ask someone with Macintosh skills for help.
Perhaps realXCV is willing to write up a guide that explains how to best use the editor on Windows (and macOS)?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: popyorn 0.9b

Post by David »

Heh, I see you added something funny to the custom tiles screen: https://www.norbertdejonge.nl/popyorn/p ... custom.png

While at it: It seems the only way I can access the custom tiles screen is by pressing "O" on the regular tiles screen.
The gear icon from Apoplexy does not appear in this version.
Update: I just found out that the bottom of the tiles screen has a very hard-to-see stripe, which is a button leading to the custom tiles screen.
Why does it look like that?...

By the way, where did the "popyorn" name come from?
It sounds like "popcorn", but why the "y"?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 7:41 pmHeh, I see you added something funny to the custom tiles screen: [...]
And the mouse on the events screen squeaks. :P
David wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 7:41 pmWhy does it look like that?...
Yeah, it's a little weird, but... With the bloody chompers on the tiles screen, not many interesting/usable custom tiles are left. I therefore decided to make the custom tiles button less prominent. Also, since I wanted to keep the bottom row of the tiles screen the same height as the tiles above it, this gave me free space for the stripe. The PoP1 for DOS portion of apoplexy doesn't have this free space, because its main screen lacks the tiles of the room above. (And the main screen determines the dimensions of the window, and thereby of all screens.)
David wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 7:41 pmIt sounds like "popcorn", but why the "y"?
Among other things, I generally try to pick unique names for software, to make it easy to find (e.g. Google) mentions of them and to prevent possible legal (e.g. copyright/trademark) issues. In this regard, my choice of "apoplexy" was atypical. I did briefly consider using "popcorn", but with Popcorn.js and Popcorn Time and such; it would've just been too generic. The "y" was randomly picked, and with basically no hits on Google, "popyorn" fits the bill. ;)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, the copy protection level can be disabled.
To do so, press F2, set "Skip potions level" to Y, and then Save.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 1:51 pmPerhaps realXCV is willing to write up a guide that explains how to best use the editor on Windows (and macOS)?
In case you are up for this, it would probably be wise and useful to explain how to set up the emulation primarily with screenshots.
I received an e-mail from a non-native English speaker who requested a tutorial with pictures.
realXCV
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by realXCV »

I’m working on it.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

realXCV wrote: September 4th, 2018, 10:36 pmI’m working on it.
Cool, thanks. No hurry. :)
If there's anything I need to do, let me know.

I've been thinking that maybe I should add a 5MB .hfs to this page that contains the contents of both the pop1_12.hfs and pop1_22.hfs from that page. Then all of PoP for Macintosh is available in a single HFS. Plus at 5MB, there would still be enough free space left for modders to add a README text, and for users to add, say, a program (e.g. The Persia Cheater). Is this a good idea?
DridiSara123
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by DridiSara123 »

Cool, thanks. No hurry. :)
If there's anything I need to do, let me know.

I've been thinking that maybe I should add a 5MB .hfs to this page that contains the contents of both the pop1_12.hfs and pop1_22.hfs from that page. Then all of PoP for Macintosh is available in a single HFS. Plus at 5MB, there would still be enough free space left for modders to add a README text, and for users to add, say, a program (e.g. The Persia Cheater). Is this a good idea?
Yes that would be great
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

DridiSara123 wrote: September 5th, 2018, 6:11 pm
Norbert wrote: September 5th, 2018, 10:40 amI've been thinking that maybe I should add a 5MB .hfs to this page that contains the contents of both the pop1_12.hfs and pop1_22.hfs from that page. Then all of PoP for Macintosh is available in a single HFS. Plus at 5MB, there would still be enough free space left for modders to add a README text, and for users to add, say, a program (e.g. The Persia Cheater). Is this a good idea?
Yes that would be great
Okay, I've added PoP1.hfs to the page.
realXCV, in case this HFS is suitable for your documentation, if you want I could ask Jalal to also add it to his popuw.com, so we'd have two mirrors.
realXCV wrote: August 16th, 2018, 6:05 am
Norbert wrote: August 15th, 2018, 1:59 pmAnd if this port has a way to enable triggering of any tile, that would be useful.
How would you want to trigger your triggering?
I meant this.
It would allow Macintosh mods to contain raise/drop buttons that point to one or more loose floors.
In-game, these loose floors can then fall on buttons, etc.
Level 7 of my Micro Palace uses this. There's a recording (scroll down), but probably more interesting to experience first-hand by playing.
In apoplexy, this "Allow triggering of any tile" can be enabled via F2.
realXCV
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by realXCV »

Norbert wrote: September 5th, 2018, 7:43 pm I meant this.
That might be possible.
Norbert wrote: September 5th, 2018, 7:43 pm Okay, I've added PoP1.hfs to the page.
realXCV, in case this HFS is suitable for your documentation, if you want I could ask Jalal to also add it to his popuw.com, so we'd have two mirrors.
I'm not sure yet if I will use it. But you can always ask him to add it.

At the same time, can you also ask him to add the two missing cheat keys on the pop2mac.html page?
- Shift+S -> Turns you into a shadow (same as left-right-left-right... costs you 4 bottles)
- Command+A -> Revives you (you also get around 40 frames of invincibility)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Alrighty, I've suggested/asked Jalal both things.
realXCV
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by realXCV »

realXCV wrote: September 5th, 2018, 10:30 pm
That might be possible.
Here's your bytes:
Look for: 4E BA FF 70 3E 00 5C 8F 60 16 0C 46 00 10 66 10 and change that last 10 to 0E
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

realXCV wrote: September 8th, 2018, 3:29 pm
realXCV wrote: September 5th, 2018, 10:30 pm
That might be possible.
Here's your bytes:
Look for: 4E BA FF 70 3E 00 5C 8F 60 16 0C 46 00 10 66 10 and change that last 10 to 0E
Thanks. I've added this to the TODO for a possible next release. Already on the TODO were disabling the potions level by default, and showing a proper - more informative - error message if bin/ contains no .bin file.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

realXCV wrote: September 5th, 2018, 10:30 pm At the same time, can you also ask him to add the two missing cheat keys on the pop2mac.html page?
- Shift+S -> Turns you into a shadow (same as left-right-left-right... costs you 4 bottles)
- Command+A -> Revives you (you also get around 40 frames of invincibility)
That list at http://popuw.com/pop2mac.html has quite a few incorrect items.
* The Control+G/L/T codes should be Command+G/L/T, those are already present at the end of the list. There is even a note about this after the list.
* Most of the single-letter codes require shift. Maybe that's why the letters are capital?
* "k" and "G" have to pressed without shift (but "K" needs it), and "D" works either way.
* "N" doesn't advance a level (it's Command+L) or do anything, "T" is Command+T.
* Command+any key will "reset the music". I don't know why does this even happen.

Here is a list I made about PoP2 Mac keys:

Code: Select all

Controls:
left, numpad 4: left
right, numpad 6: right
up, numpad 8: jump up
down, numpad 2, numpad 5: crouch
numpad 7: jump left
numpad 9: jump right
numpad 1: crouch left
numpad 3: crouch right
Control, numpad 0: sword
Shift, numpad .: step instead of run, drink, pick up, turn with sword

Hotkeys:
Command+E: go to intro (menu)
Command+F: fullscreen on/off (menu)
Command+H: hall of fame (menu)
Command+M: music on/off (menu)
Command+N: go to level 1 (menu)
Command+O: open game (menu)
Command+Q: quit (menu)
Command+R: restart level (menu)
Command+S: save game (menu)
Command+T: sound on/off (menu)
Command+V: show version
Esc: pause
Space: show remaining time

Enable cheat mode: hold 1, 2, 3 while starting PoP2.

Cheat keys:
+: +1 minute left
-: -1 minute left
D: show tension
G: +1 hp for guard. Or +2 hp if you already hurt the guard. Max. 8 hitpoints are visible, but they can have more.
K: kill guard
Shift+B: blind mode on/off
Shift+D: show tension
Shift+F: show seq, pos
Shift+I: upside down on/off
Shift+K: -1 hp for prince
Shift+R: show room number
Shift+S: turn into shadow; takes 4 hp; works only from level 10. Potions HAVE effects on Mac even if you drink them as a shadow.
Shift+W: slow fall
Command+A: resurrect
Command+D: set tension level (-1 to 99)
Command+G: go to level (1 to 14)
Command+L: next level; outside cheat mode this works until level 4.
Command+T: more hp (max. 12); this clashes with the hotkey for sound on/off.
F1: frame-by-frame mode, step with space
I wonder what is this "tension level"?

Oh, and the message that appears when you activate cheat mode:
I think that they wrote "Jeffar" instead of "Jaffar" as a reference to the programmer, Jeffrey Charvat.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: September 8th, 2018, 7:14 pmI think that they wrote "Jeffar" instead of "Jaffar" as a reference to the programmer, Jeffrey Charvat.
Reminds me of:
David wrote: November 2nd, 2013, 1:59 pm* 4 bytes at 0x1841: Always contains "JEFF". Might be a reference to the programmer, Jeffrey Charvat.