Post by Norbert »

Thanks for all the info David.
Plus the screenshot. :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Apple ][ Source FOUND!

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 12:32 pm Thanks for all the info David.
So, could you finally get it to work?

Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 1:31 am - for the first couple of Easter eggs the problem is that the documentation expects an actual Apple II, while my AppleWin uses both Alt keys as Apple keys,
There is a catch: On my system, the right Alt key is not mapped to the right Apple key. Maybe because it's an Alt Gr?
However, if I configure Joystick 1 to the numpad (this is the default?), then Numpad 0 and Numpad "," (or Numpad ".") will correspond to the two Apple keys.

Here is a little Basic program that tells what is the state of the emulated Apple keys:

Code: Select all

10 PRINT PEEK(49249)>=128,PEEK(49250)>=128
20 GOTO 10
RUN
If you can get both displayed numbers to be 1, then you found both Apple keys.

Another catch is that not all disk images contain the boot-time easter eggs.

These contain them:
* https://www.apple.asimov.net/images/gam ... pack%29.po (the image that you recommended)
* https://www.apple.asimov.net/images/gam ... pack%29.po
* ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... crack).dsk
* ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... e_ver1.dsk

But these don't:
* ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... a_boot.dsk
* ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... de%20A.nib
* PoP1.po that comes with leapop.
* ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... 0IIc+).2MG

So, to sum it up:
* Make sure that you use a disk image that actually contains the boot-time easter eggs.
* In the AppleWin config window (F8), on the Input tab, configure Joystick 1 to "Keyboard (numpad)".
* When booting (F2), press first Numpad 0 and Numpad ",", and then quickly Enter (or whichever key corresponts to the easter egg that you want to see).
Oddly enough, on Windows, I had to press Enter first, and only then the two Alt keys. I don't know why...

If you too can get this to work, then maybe you could write a documentation about this (i.e. the boot-time easter eggs) and the level 3 easter egg.

Finally, here are some screnshots:

If you press Enter: A triangle fractal. (Press C to change colours.)
By the way, this is the Sierpinski triangle, drawn using the "Chaos game" method.
apple_triangle.png
If you press "@": A rotating wireframe cube.
apple_cube.png
If you press "!": A message.
apple_message.png
Press any key for this animation:
apple_message_2.png
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: March 25th, 2018, 3:54 pm
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 12:32 pm Thanks for all the info David.
So, could you finally get it to work?
Not yet. I'll try to using your additional info.
If I succeed, I'll create a document about the cheats, crediting you for figuring out what to do.
David wrote: March 25th, 2018, 3:54 pm* PoP1.po that comes with leapop.
Which, f.y.i., is the adamgreen version but with DebugKeys enabled and the level 7 copyright check nop'ed.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I managed to see the waving animation. :)
David wrote: March 25th, 2018, 3:54 pmWhen booting (F2), press first Numpad 0 and Numpad ",", and then quickly Enter (or whichever key corresponts to the easter egg that you want to see).
Can you be more specific?
Should I press any of those key simultaneously?
Should one or more of those keys be down before pressing others?
Do I press them when the screen is black (before the intro)?
Can I keep spamming/smashing (certain) keys or should the input be timed/slower?
Can I press (and keep) down certain keys even before pressing F2 + "y"?
Does the "Enter"-Easter egg work with both Enter (numeric keypad) and Return (alphanumeric area)?
Unfortunately, there are still too many variables to make my testing process manageable.
(The 0+. numpad keys both show "1" when running your BASIC Apple II keys detection program.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

By the way, I'm curious about two things.
Did the official Apple II game ship with or without those Easter eggs? (One reason I'm asking this is that Mechner's stories about creating the game usually involve him explaining how he was short on space, and eventually managed to find just enough space to include enemies after all.)
And, what in the source code is it that enables/disables these Easter eggs? (I'm asking because I don't understand why some disk images do not include the Easter eggs. Does this mean their creators were looking for things to remove to get the image small enough to be ready for a 3.5" disk?)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm I managed to see the waving animation. :)
That's good. :)
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm Can you be more specific?
Should I press any of those key simultaneously?
Should one or more of those keys be down before pressing others?
You need to press and hold numpad 0 and numpad "." together, and then press and hold Enter (or some other key).
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm Can I keep spamming/smashing (certain) keys or should the input be timed/slower?
You don't have to press them repeatedly, if that's what you mean by "spamming/smashing".
You just have to keep all three keys pressed until the easter egg appears.
If the regular PoP starts then you pressed them too late.
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm Do I press them when the screen is black (before the intro)?
Can I press (and keep) down certain keys even before pressing F2 + "y"?
Do all of this after you press F2+Y, but before the "Apple //e" disappears from the top of the screen.
By the way, you can go to Configuration and uncheck "Confirm reboot", so you don't need to press Y after F2.
You can also slow down the emulation there if you find it too fast.
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm Does the "Enter"-Easter egg work with both Enter (numeric keypad) and Return (alphanumeric area)?
On Windows it works for me with either the regular Enter or the one on the numeric keypad.
I guess I should also check on Linux, because as we learnt from the case of the Alt keys, Wine can handle some keys differently.
Anyway, if numpad Enter works for you in Basic then it should also work for the easter egg.
EDIT: I tested it on Linux in Wine. Numpad Enter also works for the easter egg.
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm Unfortunately, there are still too many variables to make my testing process manageable.
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:35 pm (The 0+. numpad keys both show "1" when running your BASIC Apple II keys detection program.)
I find your phrasing a little odd.
So, when you press both keys, then do both numbers become 1?
If it's so then that's good.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:53 pm By the way, I'm curious about two things.
Did the official Apple II game ship with or without those Easter eggs?
And, what in the source code is it that enables/disables these Easter eggs?
(I'm asking because I don't understand why some disk images do not include the Easter eggs.
According to the source, there were two versions of the game: One for 5.25" disks, and one for 3.5" disks.
The 5.25" disk was two-sided and the user had to manually flip the disk before level 3.
The 3.5" disk was either single-sided, or the drive could access both sides without manual flipping.

Disk images of 5.25" disks are 140 kB with .dsk extension, or 228 kB with the .nib extension.
Disk images of 3.5" disks are 800 kB and their extension is either .po or .2MG .
For some reason, on the AppleWin emulator I have to put 3.5" disks into the "hard disk" drive.

Most of the game is the same in the two versions, only the booting and disk-access routines are different:
5.25": 02 POP Disk Routines/CP.525/
3.5": 02 POP Disk Routines/RW1835/

The easter eggs are present only in the 5.25" version, in this file: 02 POP Disk Routines\CP.525\POPBOOT0.S

Looking at the list in my earlier post, type of the disk image seems to be independent from whether the easter eggs are present.
Maybe because most versions are cracked and they might appear on a different type of disk than whichever version of the game they are based on.
Go figure.

The rest of the game includes only minor differences between the two disk formats.
For example the "insert disk message" is one such difference: https://github.com/jmechner/Prince-of-P ... ACK.S#L573
The ThreeFive "preprocessor" variable is defined as 1 for 3.5" disks and as 0 for 5.25" disks.

Oddly, in the only manual that mentions the Apple II version, there is no mention of two versions for Apple II.
See here: http://popuw.com/files/pop1manual.pdf
It only mentions the two-sided version, which is the 5.25" disk.
Norbert wrote: March 25th, 2018, 5:53 pm Does this mean their creators were looking for things to remove to get the image small enough to be ready for a 3.5" disk?)
Funnily enough, the physically smaller 3.5" disk had *more* capacity.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... al_formats

The 3.5" version of PoP also includes two extra "super hi-res" screens for the Apple II GS. (Source)
These images are on "side 3"? (Source)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: April 1st, 2018, 4:39 am I'll give it another try tomorrow.
All right, worked now. :)
Here's the document:
2018-04-01_PoP_Easter_Eggs.pdf (odt)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: April 1st, 2018, 6:15 pm Here's the document:
2018-04-01_PoP_Easter_Eggs.pdf (odt)
Nice.
It's good to finally have a definitive documentation about this.

Funnily enough, you released this document about Easter Eggs during Easter. :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I guess a possible future version of the document could mention in the Prerequisites chapter that the boot-time Easter eggs could also be manually added to the 3.5" version of the game. (So not just 5.25" or 5.25" shipped on 3.5", but also 3.5" and then with the Easter eggs added.) This is actually what Peter did with his image, he edited the binary directly.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

https://vimeo.com/2281013
Maybe the flying star was meant to be like Navi, giving clues to help the prince progress.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 12:48 am https://vimeo.com/2281013
Maybe the flying star was meant to be like Navi, giving clues to help the prince progress.
The PoP Classic remake had a butterfly with the same purpose:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2008/10/28/prince-of-persia-classic-review wrote: Also unnecessary is the optional butterfly that shows the prince where to go. Part of the charm of the original version was that there are some dead ends; but you only find out through exploration. The butterfly negates some of that if you leave it turned on.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Source FOUND!

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: April 14th, 2013, 3:48 pm It seems the scr/SS/ directory contains some images (PAC.SS11.png and SS10.png-SS14.png) of the missing room that's also visible on the back of the game's packaging.
I like how PHP was your 'weapon of choice'. :)

[Edit: And scr/F/DBS.png is a highscore table of deathbounce.]

[Edit on July 6, 2015: Also, David mentioned "the princess in fighting stance" (PAC.MOUSE).]
Bunch more interesting things, see the attached screenshot.
Attachments
DRAZ_interesting.png
4DPlayer

Re: Source FOUND!

Post by 4DPlayer »

Norbert wrote: September 29th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Bunch more interesting things, see the attached screenshot.
This image looks like there’s a key to open a door.
Attachments
38BFC1F7-EF46-4824-AE21-D9C8965FEE1D.jpeg