Mac PoP emulation

Discuss other PoP1 related things here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Mac PoP emulation

Post by Norbert »

Players appear to agree that the Macintosh port plays slower than the original Apple II game and than most ports (including DOS, SNES). I've experienced this too and have also seen this in recordings, such as this video. According to DavidXNewton, perhaps the game was tuned (intended) to run slower than the PC version. This raises the question: a hex edit to tweak the DOS speed, is a similar hex edit possible with the Macintosh port? When emulating the game on my PC, BasiliskII hovers around 87% of a single CPU core, which might indicate that while the emulation is non-optimal, it's not causing the slower game speed.
realXCV
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by realXCV »

According to my tests, it actually does run slower on BasiliskII.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: September 5th, 2018, 1:20 pm This raises the question: a hex edit to tweak the DOS speed, is a similar hex edit possible with the Macintosh port?
Frame times are defined here:

Code: Select all

03:14a6: 0c 2d 00 02 b9 76        CMP.B  #0x0002,(D_B976,A5) ; Kid.sword
03:14ac: 66 08                    BNE    B_14B6
03:14ae: 70 06                    MOVEQ  #0x06,D0 ; <-- speed when fighting (smaller is faster)
03:14b0: 2b 40 96 4c              MOVE   D0,(D_964C,A5) ; frame time
03:14b4: 60 06                    BRA    B_14BC

03:14b6: 70 05                    MOVEQ  #0x05,D0 ; <-- speed when not fighting (smaller is faster)
03:14b8: 2b 40 96 4c              MOVE   D0,(D_964C,A5) ; frame time
03:14bc: 70 00                    MOVEQ  #0x00,D0
03:14be: 60 1c                    BRA    B_14DC
The default numbers (6 and 5) are the same as in the DOS version.

This is the code that executes the timings:

02:00ee: 42 a7                    CLR    -(A7)
02:00f0: a9 75                    _TickCount
02:00f2: 2b 5f a5 62              MOVE   (A7)+,(D_A562,A5) ; current ticks
02:00f6: 4e ba 2b 12              JSR    (D_2B12,PC) ; = 02:2C0A
02:00fa: 20 2d a5 62              MOVE   (D_A562,A5),D0 ; current ticks
02:00fe: 90 ad a5 5e              SUB    (D_A55E,A5),D0 ; previous ticks
02:0102: b0 ad 96 4c              CMP    (D_964C,A5),D0 ; frame time
02:0106: 6f e6                    BLE    B_00EE
02:0108: 2b 6d a5 62 a5 5e        MOVE   (D_A562,A5),(D_A55E,A5) ; current ticks ; previous ticks
The documentation about TickCount says that a tick on the Mac is 1/60 second.
The DOS version sets the system timer to the same frequency, and the length of a frame in ticks (6 or 5) also matches the DOS version, so I don't know why is the Mac version slower.

This is the above code in C:

do {
	current_ticks = TickCount();
	sub_02_2C0A();
} while(current_ticks - previous_ticks <= frame_time);
previous_ticks = current_ticks;
On second thought, I'm not sure if "<=" (BLE, 0x6F) is the correct comparison. Maybe it should be "<" (BLT, 0x6D) instead?

Consider this:
Suppose that the previous waiting ended when TickCount() returned some T value. Then previous_ticks = T.
Then suppose that frame_time = 5.
Now, the loop condition will be true when TickCount() returns T+5, because (T+5) - T <= 5 is true.
So the loop will stop when TickCount() returns T+6 !
This means that 6 ticks have elapsed since the end of the previous waiting, with is 1 tick (1/60 second) too much!
At least this is what I think.
realXCV
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by realXCV »

I have another theory...

The 1/60 sec. looks like a default monitor refresh rate (60hz) and I think thats what it is. However, back when Prince of Persia was released, the default refresh rate was 67hz. So that comparison was good to have a speed as close as possible to the DOS version.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

realXCV wrote: September 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm I have another theory...

The 1/60 sec. looks like a default monitor refresh rate (60hz) and I think thats what it is.
Indeed, the docs say that the tick count is incremented at vertical retrace.
realXCV wrote: September 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm However, back when Prince of Persia was released, the default refresh rate was 67hz.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
I found something about that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ ... ation_Data
But then why don't emulators follow this?

Strangely, this page says a different refresh rate:
On Macintosh computers that have a built-in screen (such as the Macintosh Plus or Macintosh Classic), the vertical retrace frequency is approximately 60.15 Hz,
But this doesn't say anything about Macintosh computers that don't have a built-in screen.
realXCV wrote: September 8th, 2018, 9:32 pm So that comparison was good to have a speed as close as possible to the DOS version.
DOS: 5/60 = 0,0833
Mac: 6/67 = 0,0895
and
DOS: 6/60 = 0,1
Mac: 7/67 = 0,1044

Well, it seems close enough.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: September 8th, 2018, 10:12 pmBut then why don't emulators follow this?
Hey, your question made me look up and notice that Basilisk II is set to just 10Hz by default. Setting this to 60Hz finally makes using System 7 bearable. And then making the PoP1 playing speed faster, from 5 to 3 (at 0x9F07 in the .bin), finally makes the game playable. So, your post killed two guards with one sword. For a next popyorn release I'll add a note about the Basilisk II "Window Refresh Rate" to the hover text, and I'll make the game's speed settings modifiable via the EXE screen.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I experimented with changing the speed of Mini vMac to match a refresh rate of 67 Hz.
I can confirm that PoP 1 and 2 run much better after making some changes.
There is still a problem with the sound though (it does not completely match the timing).

I wrote a message about this problem to Paul Pratt, the developer of Mini vMac (mailing list).
Hi Paul,

Prince of Persia runs noticably too slowly on emulators, including Mini vMac.
There is some discussion about that here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3009&start=15#p24520

Apparently the Mac II had a refresh rate of 67 Hz, instead of 60.14742 Hz. Prince of Persia relies on _TickCount for frame timing, which is incremented at every vertical retrace interrupt. Hence the too slow gameplay.

(Running on Windows x86) I tried changing MyInvTimeStep in OSGLUWIN.C from 1089590 to 987149 (=1000/67*MyInvTimeDiv), and the constant in CyclesScaledPerTick in PROGMAIN.C from 130240UL to 116919UL (=7833600/67). After making these changes, the gameplay speed seems to be correct, although there are some issues. Most notably, sound becomes garbled. I can reduce the number of samples per subtick from 370 to 332 like so in ASCEMDEV.C:

// (22254.54545 / 67) / 16 = 20.75 samples per subtick
LOCALVAR const ui3r SubTick_n[kNumSubTicks] = {
21, 21, 21, 20, 21, 21, 21, 20,
21, 21, 21, 20, 21, 21, 21, 20
};

But, that causes noticable skipping in the sound... I don't know what is the correct fix for this.

Would you be willing to address these timing-related issues in Mini vMac? It would be great to be able to emulate Prince of Persia, and other games, at the intended speed and without sound hitches!

Thanks!
See the attachment for a Windows x86 build where I applied the changes (Use F1 for Control Mode).
Norbert wrote: September 9th, 2018, 12:14 am So, your post killed two guards with one sword.
:lol:
Attachments
minivmac_67Hz_F1_is_control_mode.zip
(123.3 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Gryphel
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Gryphel »

Falcury wrote: September 9th, 2018, 2:40 pm I wrote a message about this problem to Paul Pratt, the developer of Mini vMac (mailing list).
Thanks for the report. I have posted a reply on that mail page.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Gryphel wrote: September 9th, 2018, 5:36 pm Thanks for the report. I have posted a reply on that mail page.
Gryphel wrote:Thanks for the report.

A Macintosh II, unlike previous Macs with built in monitors, can have one or more external monitors, each of which can have its own resolution, color depth, and refresh rate. Furthermore, these values may be changed, and the driver software of each monitor gives information on what values are allowed.

For compatibility, the Macintosh II uses its second VIA chip to generate the same 60.15 Hz interrupt as on previous models, which is used to update the tick count and other tasks. (See the Vertical Retrace Manager chapter of the Inside Macintosh: Processes book.)

My guess is that Prince of Persia is assuming the ability of monitors to use a specific refresh rate, which Mini vMac does not implement. (It pretends to have a single monitor which only supports 60.15 Hz. ) Changing Mini vMac to use 67 Hz for the VIA2 timer, as well as the intended monitor vertical refresh interrupt, would not be accurate, and break compatibility with most other software. In the future, perhaps Mini vMac could have an option for monitor refresh rate. This will complicate things somewhat.
Thank you for your reply!

Very interesting that the Macintosh II uses a second VIA chip for compatibility.
Then, maybe an implementation error in Prince of Persia is causing the slowness. I guess David may have already identified the bug:
David wrote: September 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm Consider this:
Suppose that the previous waiting ended when TickCount() returned some T value. Then previous_ticks = T.
Now, the loop condition will be true when TickCount() returns T+5, because (T+5) - T <= 5 is true.
This means that 6 ticks have elapsed since the end of the previous waiting, with is 1 tick (1/60 second) too much!
(If this is indeed the root cause, then maybe we could consider publishing some sort of unoffical patch for PoP for Mac?)

Alternatively, if it's not an implementation error, then I suppose the game should run faster on a physical Mac II.

I'll try to look some more into the other audio issues I have been experiencing (popping noises, and skipping).
realXCV
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by realXCV »

After I don't know how many tests, I've come to the following conclusions:
1. The game IS slower on a Mac compared to the DOS version (unless that's the DOS emulator that is too fast)
2. The game is even slower in BasiliskII. In fact, the speed of the game in Basilisk is very irregular an can change depending on many factors.
3. The BLE->BLT change will help you get closer to the DOS speed in BasiliskII.
4. If your looking for true Mac speed, you can test with the gate opening and closing sounds. It should take very close to 4.5 sec between the first opening sound and the final "opened" sound. Closing the gate should take very close to 18.75 sec. Sounds should also come at very regular intervals.
5. Controls in that minivmac version above are not right. I usually play with the 456789 keys on the numeric keypad. If I turn numlock off, I can't jump forward, if I turn it on, I can't walk.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: September 9th, 2018, 12:14 am Hey, your question made me look up and notice that Basilisk II is set to just 10Hz by default.
Indeed, there is a setting in BasiliskIIGUI.exe, called "Milliseconds between frames". For me it's set to 16, which is about 1000/60.
In the "BasiliskII_prefs" config file, this option is called "framesleepticks".
However, it doesn't affect the speed of PoP.

Strangely, Mac OS thinks that the refresh rate is 75 Hz!
Go to Apple menu -> Control Panels -> Monitors & Sound:
refresh_rate.png
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Paul recently released a new stable version of Mini vMac (version 36.04).
Here is a build for x86 Windows, with various customizations enabled.
The zip file includes a Mac II ROM.

Minor known issues running Prince of Persia 1 and 2:
* Audio popping (most noticable in PoP 1).
* Music skipping in Prince of Persia 2. (Edit: reducing the emulation speed seems to fix this a bit.)
* Prince of Persia 1 runs too slowly (however, as has been discussed in this thread, this a bug in PoP itself and not due to the emulator).
Attachments
minivmac36.04_win32.zip
(732.38 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Falcury wrote: January 5th, 2019, 7:18 pm Minor known issues running Prince of Persia 1 and 2:
* Audio popping (most noticable in PoP 1).
* Music skipping in Prince of Persia 2. (Edit: reducing the emulation speed seems to fix this a bit.)
It looks like this issue is related to a Mini vMac option to output 16 bit sound samples, which I had enabled:
https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/options.html wrote:Sound Sample Size

-sss 3 { (default) 8 bit sound }
-sss 4 { 16 bit sound }
A Macintosh Plus outputs 8 bit sound (256 possible levels), which is then modulated by the sound volume setting (8 possible levels), and also by the square wave generator. By default Mini vMac currently outputs 8 bit sound, but there is an option to output 16 bit sound, which allows more accurate output when the sound volume setting is less than maximum, and when the square wave generator is used.
If the default setting (8 bit sound) is used instead, the audio issues go away.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Here is a build of Mini vMac (version 36.04, Windows 32-bit) with the audio issue fixed.

I have also attached disk images with System 6.0.8 and System 7.0.1 installed on them. Prince of Persia 2 won't run on 6.0.8, so I would recommend going with 7.0.1 even though 6.0.8 is more lightweight. Both of them should boot up pretty much instantly in an emulator.

By the way, you can download blank HFS disk images of various sizes here:
https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/extr ... index.html
Attachments
minivmac36.04_win32_fix.zip
(732.26 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
system608.zip
(553.98 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
system701.zip
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 215 times
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

David wrote: September 8th, 2018, 8:22 pm On second thought, I'm not sure if "<=" (BLE, 0x6F) is the correct comparison. Maybe it should be "<" (BLT, 0x6D) instead?

Consider this:
Here is a disk image of Prince of Persia for Mac with the patch applied.
Indeed, this fixes the slowness. :)

(I used Super ResEdit, which has a built-in disassembler and hex editor.)
Attachments
PoP1_speedfix.zip
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 468 times