A guard named Roberto?

Check here for questions about obtaining the fastest possible times.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

A guard named Roberto?

Post by David »

On the PoP1 resources page on speedrun.com, I found a bingo board for PoP speedrunning.

One of the possible challenges is "Make Roberto fall". (It's in the "Levels" category.)
I wondered who is this Roberto.

Then I found out that on the settings page, there is an image titled Roberto, showing a purple guard with an "R".

Does someone know anything about him? For example, which purple guard is he, or who named him that and why?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: A guard named Roberto?

Post by Norbert »

I've pointed VelCheran to your post via PM.
We could also ask 7eraser7 via Twitter, or Winter Thunder via GitHub, but probably VelCheran knows.

All the locations with 'Roberto':
Level 2: room 24
Level 4: room 22
Level 5: rooms 8 and 9
Level 7: room 10
Level 9: room 2
Level 10: rooms 2 and 7
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Hello there,

Roberto is a nickname for the purple guard of level 7 (the one standing up on the "bridge", and who hits you very frequently when you climb up). This nickname was invented by higlak_azlok, former world record holder on this game, probably after losing a potential good speedrun by being hit there.
Later, another member of the community invented spanish nicknames for every guard of the game, but basically we don't use them except Roberto and Alberto (the yellow guard at the end of level 10, which can also be very annoying). :D

About the bingo board, a bit of self promotion: I partipated to a bingo race against 7eraser7 (current world record holder in a lot of categories of the game, mostly in No Major Glitches categories), the replay can be found there if you're interested. I forgot to promote this event here, but it's an annual event called PoPRuns, it goes on during one week-end and features speedruns of every Prince of Persia game ever released.

The bingo is actually quite fun during a race or a solo playthrough, it freshens our way of playing it :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Thanks for the extensive explanation. :)
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

The one that tried to name those annoying guards with other Spanish names (besides Roberto) was me. Only one that stuck was Alberto, but I also tried a few more such as Norberto (first guard on level 7) Adalberto (the last guard on the exit door of level 10), and Rigoberto (Level 8 first guard). Probably there were more I tried to name, but can't recall.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174