Prince of Persia: Speedrun World Record Progression

Check here for questions about obtaining the fastest possible times.
Karlgamer
Sheikh
Sheikh

Prince of Persia: Speedrun World Record Progression

Post by Karlgamer »

I didn't know if you guys had seen this video or not.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Re: Prince of Persia: Speedrun World Record Progression

Post by dmitrys »

Thanks for sharing. That is a really well done video.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

The video is slightly soppy, but worth a watch.
Karlgamer, you sure have a lot of perseverance; nice playing.
"Okay, so, err... that's a new world record." :lol:

As shown in the video, apparently Speedrun.com now keeps track of PoP1 speedrun times, with a "Submit run" option.
(Make sure to click and read "View rules" there before submitting.)
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Norbert wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:21 am"Okay, so, err... that's a new world record." :lol:
During level 11, he even said "so this won't be a new world record" :D
And yes, for around five years now speedrun.com keeps track of Prince of Persia 1 world records. Not on every platforms but still a few ones.
Karlgamer
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Karlgamer »

There are of course much lower segmented runs, and my run wouldn't be as quick without strats from those videos. Also, we don't allow the cool pausing trick at the end of level 7. (where you pause the game but the slowfall potion still depletes)
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

Hello Everyone!!
Does anyone know the top 10 World Record list for speed running without using any glitches or tricks?
i.e. You will have to take sword in level 1, taking all life potions, not ducking under a falling tile to prevent a hit, passing through walls not allowed, etc.
I tried to search the internet and this forum but I could not find these... I wanted to give it a shot the way the game actually was meant to be played :)
What if life is a video game and Déjà Vu are just checkpoints?
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

It's complicated to define such category: would you have to kill the guards or would you be allowed to skip them? And were all life potions meant to be drunk or only a safe bonus for players who found them and needed the extra life?

The closest to it would be the 100% glitchless category on speedrun.com, which requires to drink every potions (even the damaging ones, and including the extra-life potion on level 5 which has to be drunk by the shadow), and kill every guard (including the skeleton which needs to fall into the pit). It's not per se how the game was meant to be and you still may avoid tile damage by crouching.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:21 am As shown in the video, apparently Speedrun.com now keeps track of PoP1 speedrun times, with a "Submit run" option.
I've looked around there, and...
Wow, in this GBC video by JayFromNowhere he (ab)uses the same glitch on almost every level to finish them early.
Karlgamer
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Karlgamer »

princeomkar wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 6:47 am Hello Everyone!!
Does anyone know the top 10 World Record list for speed running without using any glitches or tricks?
i.e. You will have to take sword in level 1, taking all life potions, not ducking under a falling tile to prevent a hit, passing through walls not allowed, etc.
I tried to search the internet and this forum but I could not find these... I wanted to give it a shot the way the game actually was meant to be played :)
I say if you can define a specific set of rules and you follow them strictly, then it would be Awesome to see this kind of run. however I don't agree that everything you mentioned is a glitch, but having a clear set of rules and following them for a run could be fun.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

princeomkar wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 6:47 amDoes anyone know the top 10 World Record list for speed running without using any glitches or tricks?
There's already a glitchless tab.
After clicking it, then click "View rules".
It doesn't allow guard-jumping and stuff.
Attachments
glitchless.png
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Norbert wrote: January 27th, 2021, 5:03 pm
princeomkar wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 6:47 amDoes anyone know the top 10 World Record list for speed running without using any glitches or tricks?
There's already a glitchless tab.
After clicking it, then click "View rules".
It doesn't allow guard-jumping and stuff.
Glitchless is not what Princeomkar was talking about: this category allows to avoid the sword on level 1 and to duck to prevent falling tile damage, and doesn't require to drink any extra-life potions.
princeomkar wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 6:47 am Hello Everyone!!
So, I thought about it and here is a proposition for a set of rules (based on current rules on speedrun.com):
- any item on that list is forbidden: Tricks considered glitches in Glitchless runs;
- ducking (i.e. pressing down) or bumping into a wall to prevent taking damage from a falling tile above is not allowed;
- cheats are not allowed during the run;
- pausing the game (pressing ESC) is not allowed as it stops the in-game timer used to time the run;
- skipping levels up to level 4 with Shift+L without cheats (a.k.a. practice mode) is not allowed;
- you may skip cutscenes between levels;
- sound & music must be enabled at all times during the run (no end level music skip);
- you may not use CTRL+A (level restart hotkey) to skip the music jingle after the level is completed;
- you must pick up the sword on level 1;
- you must drink every extra-life potion.
(although I think drinking every extra-life potion isn't necessarily the way the game was meant to be played, I very rarely did it myself before starting speedrunning it ;) )

Would you also need to kill every guard in your way or switching sides with guards and running away would be allowed?