speedrun world records

Check here for questions about obtaining the fastest possible times.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: speedrun world records

Post by Norbert »

dronno wrote: July 18th, 2020, 10:13 pmLooking at this speedrun, I was wondering what happens at 3:34 of this one.
The "Hard Jump" (trick 42). ;)
dronno
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by dronno »

thank you!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

dronno wrote: July 18th, 2020, 10:13 pm Looking at this speedrun, I was wondering what happens at 3:34 of this one.
It looks like 42, the only difference is that the floors are loose in the trick video.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Trick 42 also works if you do it on a normal tile (haven't tested raise tile, but drop tile works).

But somehow it doesn't work, if some elements are next to the next to the hole (or the tile which you don't want to press) of the direction of the Kid. For example, if there's hole (e.g: Original Game, Level 3 Room 3, 2nd Row, 2nd Column. There's no tile there, so the trick won't work.).

Also in Original Game, Level 1, Room 1, 3rd Row, 7th Column there's a lose tile. If you do what I did in the video (from both sides), the lose tile won't fall.

Interesting trick! :)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dronno
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by dronno »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: July 19th, 2020, 12:42 pm ...
Thank you ;) I thought I would not be able to perform it but thanks to your video I managed. Did it in Level1 Room 1
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

dronno wrote: July 19th, 2020, 2:03 pm Thank you ;) I thought I would not be able to perform it but thanks to your video I managed. Did it in Level1 Room 1
Timing and practice is everything :)

VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

I'm interested in the underlying cause of this trick: does the game take account of the feet position on the ground to decide if the prince should fall or not? Because visually we can see the prince "leaping" over the hole so it makes perfect sense not seeing him fall.

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Hah! Even I wanted to know, why does the game do this and what is the perfect distance we should start running and press the up key for the trick to work.

We can know if it's found in SDLPoP source code. Maybe David or Falcury can help us find it.

dronno
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by dronno »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: July 20th, 2020, 5:18 am Hah! Even I wanted to know, why does the game do this and what is the perfect distance we should start running and press the up key for the trick to work.
It works pretty much every time if you position yourself correctly, no? Assuming you want to hard jump towards right, from the edge, a quiet step towards left, duck, then turn right and you are good to go. But I have seen it performed in other cases where the positioning was different, and for those ones I have no idea :D
dronno
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by dronno »

The thing is, at least with the above technique, it works only if there is exactly one tile gap. See here: the first time it works, but the second (after I break the second tile) it doesn't.
hardjump.p1r
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I see that after the recent progression video, already two new records were set.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Actually, only one (13'59"), but a new challenger (Goodspectre) appeared and seems to be very capable of taking the world record from Karlgamer :)
Karlgamer
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Karlgamer »

So Goodspectre beat me by 3 seconds. We are getting closer to the segmented runs times. Looks like it's time for the segmented runners to take strats from us for a change :p
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

It's a shame that Goodspectre isn't recording himself as you do, because the runs sure are more interesting if it's possible to see how the player reacts to how the run is going in various sections...
Karlgamer
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Karlgamer »

Ya, well sometimes I look like a maniac. :D