Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

Post by Norbert »

I'd like to try this mod on my Linux computer, but can't. The reason is that the package does not include a Linux executable, nor source code, nor a link to source code. I happen to know your GitHub is Akruzen/SDLPoP, but even there it's unclear which branch I should pick; maybe "draw_sword_anywhere"? By the way, I noticed that your prince.exe is 5.1M, while the default is 329K. Maybe you used static compilation, and included some libraries, or something.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pm I'd like to try this mod on my Linux computer, but can't. The reason is that the package does not include a Linux executable, nor source code, nor a link to source code.
Yeah, because PoPOT has a limitation of 10 MB per mod, so Akruzen couldn't include the source code.
Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pm I happen to know your GitHub is Akruzen/SDLPoP, but even there it's unclear which branch I should pick; maybe "draw_sword_anywhere"?
"Happen to know"? How? :shock:
Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pm maybe "draw_sword_anywhere"?
Yes, that's the branch.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pm I'd like to try this mod on my Linux computer, but can't. The reason is that the package does not include a Linux executable, nor source code, nor a link to source code. I happen to know your GitHub is Akruzen/SDLPoP, but even there it's unclear which branch I should pick; maybe "draw_sword_anywhere"? By the way, I noticed that your prince.exe is 5.1M, while the default is 329K. Maybe you used static compilation, and included some libraries, or something.
Yeah it is my first time using GitHub, so I don't have much idea about push, pull, etc :| Also, I have put the link in original post for GitHub, so you can download the game with source code from there. :)
What if life is a video game and Déjà Vu are just checkpoints?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:38 pmYeah, because PoPOT has a limitation of 10 MB per mod, so Akruzen couldn't include the source code.
I didn't expect executables to be more than 5MB, nor much custom music.
I've increased the limit to 20MB.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:38 pm"Happen to know"? How? :shock:
Because Akruzen gave a link in the New Mod Doubts thread.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pmmaybe "draw_sword_anywhere"?
Yes, that's the branch.
Okay.
Akruzen wrote: October 16th, 2021, 3:18 pmYeah it is my first time using GitHub, so I don't have much idea about push, pull, etc :| Also, I have put the link in original post for GitHub, so you can download the game with source code from there. :)
I would still recommend including the source code - or at the very least a link to it (like, in a readme or something) - in your mod package.
I've increased the limit to 20MB on popot.org.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

One of the very first rooms of level 1, that includes the hint potion, you expect the player to do a trick similar to this, right?
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:10 pm One of the very first rooms of level 1, that includes the hint potion, you expect the player to do a trick similar to this, right?
Yes of course; do you have any other ideas? :roll:

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pm By the way, I noticed that your prince.exe is 5.1M, while the default is 329K. Maybe you used static compilation, and included some libraries, or something.
Because it has been compiled in Debug mode. (93% of this prince.exe is debug information.)
Releases should be compiled in Release mode.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

David wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:59 pm
Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 2:19 pm By the way, I noticed that your prince.exe is 5.1M, while the default is 329K. Maybe you used static compilation, and included some libraries, or something.
Because it has been compiled in Debug mode. (93% of this prince.exe is debug information.)
Releases should be compiled in Release mode.
Oh sorry I did not know that.. I will do it in next update
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

That's great news about the increased limit per mod. I can upload my mod with music without dealing with another zip file on GitHub.

To follow up on kid drinking the poison potion automatically after landing with the inverse/slow fall potion - it can happen if you press and release Shift just before running off the ledge. The reason it happens is because the game for some reason checks for sticky shift (control_shift2) that only resets on specific actions when picking up objects while crouched instead of the regular "control_shift" that is checked for on every frame. I must have quick saved after pressing Shift because it did not happen after I replayed the level.

https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/0c ... 005.c#L332

I thought the poison potion was placed there intentionally the first time; and the way around it was to time the slow fall so it stops a bit before you land.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:02 pm
Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:10 pm One of the very first rooms of level 1, that includes the hint potion, you expect the player to do a trick similar to this, right?
No, it's the only idea I had. I'm unable to perform the trick, because the one I linked to - that is similar - requires jumping up, which in the Maharaja mod grabs the ledge above. It means I'm stuck early on in the first level. My guess is that many players who attempt this mod will also get stuck there, despite the well-meaning hint they get after drinking the potion. Making mods too difficult for most players is one of the recurring pitfalls, I think. My first two mods had the same issue.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:08 pm
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 16th, 2021, 5:02 pm
No, it's the only idea I had. I'm unable to perform the trick, because the one I linked to - that is similar - requires jumping up, which in the Maharaja mod grabs the ledge above. It means I'm stuck early on in the first level. My guess is that many players who attempt this mod will also get stuck there, despite the well-meaning hint they get after drinking the potion. Making mods too difficult for most players is one of the recurring pitfalls, I think. My first two mods had the same issue.
Oh, I guess I should replace the loose tile right of the room with solid floor.. that way, players can just run jump and grab the ledge below and go ahead. I did not mean to make this mod for experts, but since I did not know exact definition of expert difficulty, I built the mod on a vague idea assuming some things are easy (which turns out they aren't). So the only way of knowing this was to let people play it. Do tell me if there are other things which are beyond intermediate difficulty :) I will take all that into consideration and try to release it in a single update :)
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:08 pm No, it's the only idea I had. I'm unable to perform the trick, because the one I linked to - that is similar - requires jumping up, which in the Maharaja mod grabs the ledge above. It means I'm stuck early on in the first level. My guess is that many players who attempt this mod will also get stuck there, despite the well-meaning hint they get after drinking the potion. Making mods too difficult for most players is one of the recurring pitfalls, I think. My first two mods had the same issue.
Yes, I also thought getting to the first 2 gates was way too complicated for an intermediate mod.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:08 pm I'm unable to perform the trick [...]
Maybe that means PoPOT should also show this variation of the trick?

The thing is to find correct distance (not performing any trick). Even uvq3tsa on Twitch did this to find the correct distance.

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Here is how I passed the first 2 gates on level 1. You have to have perfect timing but it is not that difficult. The nice part is if you release the arrow key right after you land from the jump, you will end up at a perfect distance from the edge for the trick.

I was scared to think how difficult the mod is going to be if this is the first trick. :evil: But it actually is manageable for an intermediate player like myself, at least for the first 6 levels. The most challenging parts so far have been dealing with skeletons and buttons as well as moving tiles.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 4:39 am Maybe that means PoPOT should also show this variation of the trick?

[...] uvq3tsa on Twitch did this to find the correct distance.
Thanks; added.

As for this mod's difficulty. The assessment of its difficulty heavily depends on whether or not quick saving and loading is seen as a normal part of gameplay. Maybe I'm old-fashioned and should accept that nowadays it is, which would then make this mod intermediate instead of - how I assess(ed) it - expert level. On the other hand, even with quick saving and loading, it took the Twitch player 45+ minutes just for level 1...