Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

Post by Akruzen »

Hello Everyone! This is Akruzen this side :)

I had been working on this mod for more than two months now and I have tried to implement new features in this mod.
It is called Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

In this mod, I have added a unique feature in each level which is not present in the vanilla version so that it does not become monotonous and boring :D
To keep the essence and vibes of the original Prince of Persia, I have not changed the graphics of the game, but I have tweaked some sounds and music to spice things up ;)

Starting Time: 600 Minutes. Play the game at your pace. There is no hurry.

Difficulty: For Intermediate Players. No tricks or glitches are required to pass this mod. If you are an expert you can play too since it will be a relaxing, yet exciting mod for you. You are a beginner you say? Worry not! Hints have been provided wherever required and YouTube is always an option! :D

Levels: There are 13 levels in this mod. As a bonus, each level has a distinct name ;)

Life Potions: There are 7 Life Potions, try to get them all! You might need them for the final fight :)

I also have introduced currency system. Every time you kill a guard, you loot him and keep his money! Collect as much as possible for later ;)

I would like to thank Dmitrys, David, Norbert and Eien86 for their help in making this mod possible. Also I would like to thank uvq3tsa and VelCheran who were one of the people who inspired me to continue with the mod. Last but not the least, I would like to thank atrueprincefanfrom18 for his valuable inputs and playtesting the levels. :) (I apologize if I forgot to mention any names here :roll: )

Lastly, though I tried to make the game bugless, please co-operate if you find any bugs here and there, as this is my first time editing the source code of any game :)

Link for the Game: Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

Hope you enjoy this mod!

**Update** I updated the version to v1.2, with some bug fixes and minor improvements. Since PoP Website has 10 MB limitation, I could not include the source code for it. For the players using linux, use this GitHub link to download the mod: PoP - TMP GitHub link
I will keep on updating this should I find any more major bugs.
Last edited by Akruzen on October 16th, 2021, 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What if life is a video game and Déjà Vu are just checkpoints?
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Prince of Persia - The Maharaja's Palace

Post by VelCheran »

I'm eager to test this ;)
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I am very curious to see the added features.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Really well created! :)
This mod is well-built and can even compete Repetition Of Time.
I think from now-onwards there's gonna be a new era in PoP Modding where people will find interesting ideas and edit SDLPoP source code to make that happen. :)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Do not watch the videos if you have not even tried the levels at least once!
Only watch the videos if you're not gonna try them again (and not enjoy the fun behind it) or if you are stuck.

Level 1:

Edit: I got a copyright claim for the intro music :|

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I have completed the first 3 levels as someone who is barely intermediate. Here are some of my impressions.

1. This is a really great mod that is well thought out and has cool new features. I agree with the RoT comparison.

2. As someone who has built an SDL PoP based mod (Unofficial Prince 1.5) that is a showcase of new features first and a mod second, this mod has challenging and very well thought out level designs as well as cool features.

3. This mod is more difficult than the RoT. It does have tricks that might not fall into advanced category and it took more MANY quick saves to get through each other. But that is probably expected due to the high time limit.

4. I think I found a bug which you can see in atrueprince's video. In the room with the purple guard the potion shows a hint from the room on the right. That probably has to do with the check based on "curr_room" which can change when tiles are being redrawn. "Char.room/Kid.room" might be a more reliable way to do it.

Spoiler: show
Passing the first 2 gates was difficult as it required perfect timing. But I have done it right from the start without drinking the potion. I see that atrueprince has done it differently which might be (very slightly) easier but the timing is still tight.

The spolier how to make 2 loose tiles fall is the difficult way to go about it. I have done it the same way as atrueprince by taking the sword out but facing to the left, which is even easier.

On the second level the inverted+slow fall potion combined with the death potion on the landing tile seems to require perfect timing for the slow fall to stop a row or two before you land while being upside down. On top of that, you cannot lose an extra life anywhere because health potions do not do what you expect them to. Thankfully, there is a quicksave in SDL PoP.

The lighting mask image is interesting on level 3.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm I have completed the first 3 levels as someone who is barely intermediate. Here are some of my impressions.

3. This mod is more difficult than the RoT. It does have tricks that might not fall into advanced category and it took more MANY quick saves to get through each other. But that is probably expected due to the high time limit.
Level 3 is a bit frustrating. I realized that, but I had already made it so from level 4 I toned down the difficulty a little bit.
dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm 4. I think I found a bug which you can see in atrueprince's video. In the room with the purple guard the potion shows a hint from the room on the right. That probably has to do with the check based on "curr_room" which can change when tiles are being redrawn. "Char.room/Kid.room" might be a more reliable way to do it.
Hmm. The problem does not seem to occur when I play it. Anyhow, I will change curr_room to Char.room.
dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm Passing the first 2 gates was difficult as it required perfect timing. But I have done it right from the start without drinking the potion. I see that atrueprince has done it differently which might be (very slightly) easier but the timing is still tight.
Yeah, that part of level is a bit difficult for level 1. That's why I kept a hint potion that it is possible to do it. It's just how to do it which is to be figured out. (Should I make that easier in next update if it is too difficult?)
dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm The spolier how to make 2 loose tiles fall is the difficult way to go about it. I have done it the same way as atrueprince by taking the sword out but facing to the left, which is even easier.
I myself did not know it can be done in other ways so I did not write that in the hint potion :)
dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm On the second level the inverted+slow fall potion combined with the death potion on the landing tile seems to require perfect timing for the slow fall to stop a row or two before you land while being upside down.
Hmm... I think you can just walk off the edge of the non-spiked floor to land and then just wait till the effect wears off. He doesn't auto drink death potion in my case. I don't know how are you finding it difficult.
dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm On top of that, you cannot lose an extra life anywhere because health potions do not do what you expect them to. Thankfully, there is a quicksave in SDL PoP.
Yeah, players anyway use quicksave and quickload which prevents the game from being difficult. Had it been without quicksaves, I could have added real health potions. But in this case, all you have to do is just press F9 and there you have your lost health :D
dmitry_s wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:32 pm The lighting mask image is interesting on level 3.
I personally found that a bit frustrating and irritating,
which is why I have never used them later in the game.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: October 15th, 2021, 6:10 pm Level 1:
Great playthrough! I think you should upload the level 3 solution if you want since that is an unnecessarily difficult level :|
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Akruzen wrote: October 15th, 2021, 9:23 pm I think you should upload the level 3 solution if you want since that is an unnecessarily difficult level :|
I will, hold on ;)

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Level 2:

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Level 3:

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Level 4:

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Level 5:

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Level 6:

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Level 7:

(ENOUGH FOR TODAY LOL)