Say HiJump - New SDLPoP mod

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Say HiJump - New SDLPoP mod

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

With the introduction of Super High Jump (implementation done in SDLPoP) I was inspired to create a new mod - Say HiJump :)

I've also posted the mod on PoPOT: 0000261

Name: Say HiJump
Description: With floaty mode (the floating green potion) prince can now jump two floors and climb up if possible and also drop a loose tile if any. With this behaviour, can you now save the Princess in 5 levels?
Time: 180 minutes
Altered Levels: 5 (for now)

Download:

Say HiJump.zip
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 120 times
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Say HiJump - New SDLPoP mod

Post by Norbert »

Hm, after making a high jump, the prince doesn't seem to grab the ledge.
Maybe the game doesn't help the player align the prince right, and it requires pixel precision?
This is with a manually compiled Linux executable.
[Edit:]
...and the Windows EXE says:
"load_image: IMG_Load_RW: Failed loading libpng16-16.dll: Module not found."
I've copied that DLL from the default SDLPoP package.
Prince doesn't grab the ledge here either... at least not for me...
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: August 4th, 2021, 1:21 pm Maybe the game doesn't help the player align the prince right, and it requires pixel precision?
The game won't align the player but it doesn't require pixel precision. Did you try with a bit more to the ledge? That should work. Or then dmitry(_s) will be able to help you...

Edit: Try other levels maybe?

Edit 2: This is really easy mod btw so you can play Norbert (no hard tricks required). ;)

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:07 pmDid you try with a bit more to the ledge?
I've tried all kinds of starting positions before the jump, but the prince never grabs the ledge. I'll try to make a recording, so you can see what I'm doing and that it's not working.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:38 pmI'll try to make a recording, so you can see what I'm doing and that it's not working.
Attached.
Attachments
sayhijump.zip
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Oh, you need to press Shift, I just found out.
Hm. I see. Could it be modified to also allow just arrow up?
I mean, generally when climbing up, just arrow up is sufficient.
Hence I didn't think of pressing Shift until now.
I guess players could get used to having to press Shift.
But somehow they'd need to know that pressing Shift is necessary.
I'm fairly smart and thought your mod was broken...
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:54 pm Oh, you need to press Shift, I just found out.
[...]
I'm fairly smart and thought your mod was broken...
Maybe add a comment explaining what other players should know before they play it and expect and/or shouldn't expect?
Anyway, I'd like if you play through it ;) (since it's not difficult and also Quicksave is allowed :))

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

The way it works is, if there is a non-floor tile in the 2 rows right above prince, he jumps up 2 rows using (a modified) sequence called "superhijump" that was a part of PoP1 but never used in the code. The way grabbing works is if there is a floor tile in front of the top empty tile the sequence changes to "freefall". Therefore, you grab with Shift just like you would during jumping/floating/etc. To me that feels intuitive, consistent and does not require too many code changes in that area.

The only difference between floating and falling after a super high jump is the former limits your vertical speed to 4 while the later keeps horizontal speed to 0. And there is the same alignment happening as during normal grabs. But usually prince has forward speed which makes it easier. Without it, you would have to be pixel perfect.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Very nice mod. I don't know if it's on purpose but I couldn't read the remaining time nor write my name on the hall of fame at the end.
I have to confess I used Apoplexy to understand the final screen of level 2, that was really tricky :lol:
(btw, for some reason Apoplexy doesn't detect broken room links on level 2, I don't know why, so the room screen doesn't display the real links)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

VelCheran wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:38 am Very nice mod. I don't know if it's on purpose but I couldn't read the remaining time nor write my name on the hall of fame at the end.
I have to confess I used Apoplexy to understand the final screen of level 2, that was really tricky :lol:
(btw, for some reason Apoplexy doesn't detect broken room links on level 2, I don't know why, so the room screen doesn't display the real links)
@dmitrys might be able to help you, has he edited so you can't write name in HOF?

If you could upload video, that'd be great :)

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

VelCheran wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:38 am I don't know if it's on purpose but I couldn't read the remaining time nor write my name on the hall of fame at the end.
Yes, for some reason SDLPoP can't display any text in this mod.

If I recompile it in debug mode then I get errors on the console: "Failed loading libpng16-16.dll"

libpng16-16.dll is missing from the mod, therefore SDLPoP cannot load the images from data/font, but overwrites the built-in font with empty images.

If you rename the data/font folder then SDLPoP will use the built-in font.
VelCheran wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:38 am (btw, for some reason Apoplexy doesn't detect broken room links on level 2, I don't know why, so the room screen doesn't display the real links)
You can press R again to go to the broken room links screen.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:54 pm
VelCheran wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:38 am Very nice mod. I don't know if it's on purpose but I couldn't read the remaining time nor write my name on the hall of fame at the end.
@dmitrys might be able to help you, has he edited so you can't write name in HOF?

If you could upload video, that'd be great :)
I forgot to record when I discovered your mod, so I streamed it today (but I already knew every trap so I guess it was less entertaining ;) ) :
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1126353610
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Yeah, libpng16-16.dll is missing.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Nice walk through.

The reason why you could save the game during a slow fall is because all the enhancements are enabled in it, including that one. That is something I had submitted a while ago.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I thought more about Norbert's suggestion to use up arrow to grab and decided to implement it. Shift also works because free fall is an existing seq table entry.

The pull request has been updated.
https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/pull/25 ... 0314fd05c8