Say HiJump - New SDLPoP mod

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Say HiJump - New SDLPoP mod

Post by Norbert »

dmitry_s wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 3:49 amI thought more about Norbert's suggestion to use up arrow to grab and decided to implement it. Shift also works because free fall is an existing seq table entry.
Thanks.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

VelCheran wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:29 pm I forgot to record when I discovered your mod, so I streamed it today (but I already knew every trap so I guess it was less entertaining ;) ) :
[stream]
Nice! I like the stream and yes the chat was not there most of the part so it was a bit less entertaining, but you did a good job to talk as much as you can, so it was all good :)

(And I followed you).

Are you trying some hard mods? ;)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Interesting MOD-261...The son wanted to pass it...
Here is 1 level...

[Edit: Embedded YouTube video -- ATPFF]
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 4:57 am
VelCheran wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:29 pm I forgot to record when I discovered your mod, so I streamed it today (but I already knew every trap so I guess it was less entertaining ;) ) :
[stream]
Nice! I like the stream and yes the chat was not there most of the part so it was a bit less entertaining, but you did a good job to talk as much as you can, so it was all good :)

(And I followed you).

Are you trying some hard mods? ;)
Well, the chat was there but nobody was watching I guess :lol:
I may try your harder mods at some point, thanks for the link. Probably Adventure without Sword first.
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Level 2, the game is already becoming a little more difficult:
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Level 3, to pass it, you need to go through the intermediate room and die (2 min. 10 sec), and then start the level again.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

YURA wrote: August 25th, 2021, 5:43 pm Level 3, to pass it, you need to go through the intermediate room and die (2 min. 10 sec), and then start the level again.
Or click Ctrl-A after triggering the checkpoint.
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Level 4 is not easy, there are places of puzzles. Yes, it is also problematic to remove the card, but there is always a way out.....

Level 5-the final. The Hall of Fame does not record....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4OR1jugl-L

A wonderful MOD - it's a pity that there are not enough levels!
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Here is an updated version with that displays the font in the game (I added the missing DLL). It also now allows you to hold the up arrow key to grab. Shift also works.
Attachments
0000261.zip
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

dmitry_s wrote: August 28th, 2021, 10:55 pm Here is an updated version with that displays the font in the game (I added the missing DLL).
Thanks! I'll update it on PoPOT.
dmitry_s wrote: August 28th, 2021, 10:55 pm It also now allows you to hold the up arrow key to grab. Shift also works.
Did you try the last level? Using up arrow seems a bit slow to me. If you use shift maybe only then you can do all the timing tricks. Using up arrow slows down the actions. Did you check that?

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:30 am Did you try the last level? Using up arrow seems a bit slow to me. If you use shift maybe only then you can do all the timing tricks. Using up arrow slows down the actions. Did you check that?
The "if" condition is really simple. It modifies the "check_grab" and "control_hanging" functions to check either of the keys during a super high jump.

https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/0c ... 06.c#L1146
https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/0c ... 005.c#L750

Looking at the second link code now I see that the up key might trigger the "can_climb_up" function 2 lines above. Maybe I should put a check that we are not in super high jump there. Edit: that line is not the problem because "check_grab" sets "grab_timer" to 12.

Can you create a video that shows the issue?
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

dmitry_s wrote: August 29th, 2021, 6:21 am Can you create a video that shows the issue?
Umm, never mind, all works well actually; it's just that when the potion timer ends, if you don't press Shift and just use Up arrow, you will not be able to climb up automatically. So when you are at your final moments with the potion effect, just remember to press Shift.

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:51 am
dmitry_s wrote: August 29th, 2021, 6:21 am Can you create a video that shows the issue?
Umm, never mind, all works well actually; it's just that when the potion timer ends, if you don't press Shift and just use Up arrow, you will not be able to climb up automatically. So when you are at your final moments with the potion effect, just remember to press Shift.
Ah, pressing shift to grab works all the time but the arrow up key only works during a super jump. It is currently getting reset when the timer runs out.

It can probably be fixed by removing this statement. It is redundant in the updated implementation anyway. I'll look at it tomorrow.

https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/0c ... 003.c#L508
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I made a couple of tweaks and was able to pass the entire game using the up arrow to grab. The new version is attached.

Attachments
0000261.zip
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

dmitry_s wrote: August 30th, 2021, 2:46 am I made a couple of tweaks and was able to pass the entire game using the up arrow to grab. The new version is attached.
Cool! Thanks! I'll upload it on PoPOT.
dmitry_s wrote: August 30th, 2021, 2:46 am [Level 3 video]
What was that thing that you were doing going back and forth through the skeleton rooms? Was it something you were hoping for better RNG or something? Because only after you went up and down, the skeleton didn't hit you. If you could explain, that would be great! :P