Prince 1 and 1/2 - a new mod

atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Prince 1 and 1/2 - a new mod

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

dmitry_s wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:59 am I have implemented another guard using a separate sequence table instead of timers. The second guard can now advance to land strikes from behind, strike back after blocking and use a full set of frames for striking. I just need to tune striking distances.
[video]
OMG, THIS IS AMAZING!! I'm waiting for your next mod! I'm sure it'll be more amazing :)
P.S: Is the background music in the video being played in the game or it's just video editing? If it's playing in the game, would you mind making a pull request in SDLPoP? Because sometimes it's boring to have no sounds :D
It would be cool if background music is played :)
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

The background music is real. However, it requires SDL Mixer and 2 additional DLLs to work. I am not sure David would want those dependencies. The reason is the music is playing on different channels without affecting the digital sounds.

SDL Mixer has some nice features like pausing music (during important sound effects or the pause menu) and restarting it at the last position, controlling volume, fading in/out, etc. It might be possible to do all of that with Vorbis but you have to manually modify the sound stream which is beyond my abilities.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

First of all, this mod is freaking awesome :) Love the new features you have managed to implement!
dmitry_s wrote: January 26th, 2022, 10:17 am The background music is real.
And it's coming from the Sharp X68000 version as far as I can hear, correct?
I have a couple of questions with regards to the music:
1. Would it be possible to add their unique battle music when facing the skeleton or shadow, as that's different from the regular battle music?
2. I noticed the battle music starts as soon as the kid is on the same level as a guard, rather than when he draws the sword. Can this be changed?
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

dmitry_s wrote: January 26th, 2022, 10:17 am The background music is real. However, it requires SDL Mixer and 2 additional DLLs to work. I am not sure David would want those dependencies.
I guess you could, if possible, just send a PR and he'll approve the changes on a new branch anyway. That way the old code will not be modified. Just a suggestion.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I have implemented forward sequences so both guards can move forward.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: January 26th, 2022, 7:04 pm I guess you could, if possible, just send a PR and he'll approve the changes on a new branch anyway. That way the old code will not be modified. Just a suggestion.
I had made a lot of changes to the sound like positional stereo sounds, multiple sounds playing at the same time, etc. And a lot of music events are based on those sound events and priorities.

It would be a lot easier to use Japanese SDLPoP fork or migrate the code. That is where I got the idea from.
https://github.com/spaztron64/SDLPoP-JP ... 21jp-beta1
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

[quote=Amethyst post_id=34351
And it's coming from the Sharp X68000 version as far as I can hear, correct?
I have a couple of questions with regards to the music:
1. Would it be possible to add their unique battle music when facing the skeleton or shadow, as that's different from the regular battle music?
2. I noticed the battle music starts as soon as the kid is on the same level as a guard, rather than when he draws the sword. Can this be changed?
[/quote]

Yes, most of the music is from PC-98/X68000 from the Japanese fork. I have other music on different levels. I have recently converted PoP2 Roland MT-32 music and sound effects into OGGs for one of the levels with a similar storyline.

1. So for levels with shadow or skeleton as guards, you can configure different level and fighting music. Jaffar already has different music in the X68000 soundtrack.

2. It works like you are describing when there is 1 guard in the room. But when you are fighting multiple guards, you do not want to switch the music in between because there is not much time to play level music.

There are other issues that I had to handle - a guard dropping down to fight does not have the sword drawn. Moving between rooms would stop the music for a couple of frames when a guard is following you unless you handle it in the code.
Amethyst
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by Amethyst »

dmitry_s wrote: January 27th, 2022, 8:02 am 1. So for levels with shadow or skeleton as guards, you can configure different level and fighting music. Jaffar already has different music in the X68000 soundtrack.
Great. Another question: It's a bit odd to have the skeleton say "Ugh!" when it gets hit, so are enemy-specific "getting hit" sounds possible, like on the Japanese (minus Sega CD, curiously) and SNES versions? This would come in handy for a mod with some female opponents as well. :)
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Amethyst wrote: January 28th, 2022, 5:48 pm Great. Another question: It's a bit odd to have the skeleton say "Ugh!" when it gets hit, so are enemy-specific "getting hit" sounds possible, like on the Japanese (minus Sega CD, curiously) and SNES versions? This would come in handy for a mod with some female opponents as well. :)
It is possible to do in the SDLPoP code but is not really related to music. I have changed it to the "bump" sound for skeletons.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

This...
dmitry_s wrote: January 27th, 2022, 7:51 amI had made a lot of changes to the sound like positional stereo sounds, multiple sounds playing at the same time, etc.
...and/or this...

https://github.com/Falcury/SDLPoP/tree/directionalsound

...about which I commented...
Norbert wrote: January 28th, 2020, 10:48 pmPerhaps it's possible for the functionality to get 'Scaling method' like options, with Off, On, and Excessive (or something).
Where the latter doubles the directional shifts and volume changes?
...could perhaps see its way into the main branch?

Particularly given this:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=4931