New (partial) mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Falcury
Calif
Calif

New (partial) mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Post by Falcury »

This is a mod that I will probably never finish completely. Still, I thought the finished levels in this level set were worth sharing, so here goes. I find these levels pretty hard myself, and I'm curious what you make of them.

Download LEVELS.DAT: Here.
Update: debug start in lvl 8 fixed

Levels 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 are finished and playable. Level 4 is somewhat playable, but evilly incomprehensible so I recommend skipping it. Level 6 has not really been modified, so you can SHIFT+L that too.

Broadly speaking, there are three ways to play this mod:
1. Simply try to finish all of the levels
2. Finish the levels and get the life potion in each level
3. Do not drink any life potions; remain at a max health of three through level 8.

Some random remarks:
- Most of the levels are not very linear; some exploration might be necessary. Also, some of the levels, in particular level 5, can be finished in several different ways.
- The skeletons in level 3 are not that dangerous, are they? Are they?
- In level 5, you will be able to manipulate the behaviour of the Shadow if you plan your actions well. Also, there are 2 life potions in this level, both of which take some puzzling to reach.
- Level 7 is the only guardless level.
- Obtaining the life potion in level 7 is extremely hard. I have only been fast enough once so far, after about 50 failed attempts.
- In level 8, after you have cleared your path of obstacles, remember that the mouse will come to your aid. You will be grateful for it.

Good luck.
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: New (partial) mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Post by Tristan »

Nice
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Thanks!
Any questions, feel free to ask.
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Very tough!
got any suggestion for level 1? cant beat it for now xD
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Sure! In level 1, you will need to be very careful with your lives:
- Don't be tempted to get the life potion immediately; that will get you stuck. You will be able to get it once you have opened the exit door.
- You can drop down from the room with the exit door without sacrificing lives.
- Further on in the level, there is one strategically placed health potion that you will need to get.
- Once you have the sword, you will be able to fight some of the guards you had to evade earlier on.

Hope that helps!
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I finally beat level 1 after 14 minutes of dying. I can't make it through level 2 though. This is an awesome mod!
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

After 10 minutes of trial and error I managed to get the sword in Level 1, but then I got locked in and gave up for the time being. This is a really tough mod indeed. Is this your first one or do you have a lot of experience?
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Now I cant even get to the sword, I give up :P
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Here's a video walkthrough of the first level. I will post more if you want them.

Thanks for the compliments. It is my first mod, but I took my time (very long breaks etc. :P)
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Post by Butcher »

Great levelset!!! 8-)

By an unknown reason the name of it makes me remember of the games Heretic and Hexen, Heretic has a 5th level in the first epsiode "City of the Damned" named "The Citadel" and Hexen (the sequel of Heretic) has an expansion pack named "Deathkings of the Dark Citadel"

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Heretic
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Hexen:_Death ... rk_Citadel
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

I am getting convinced that level 3 is unbeatable.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Level 3 can be tricky because of three obscure tricks you have to apply early on:
- When dropping down onto the loose tile, hold 'down' and you will survive the fall.
- The next drop can be survived by hanging from the gate and dropping onto a loose tile, but for the puzzle after that is is essential that the tile remains intact. To ensure this, attempt to pull up and enter the gate (even though it is closed).
- Finally, at the bottom level, after making your way to the right, you must 'skip' the missing loose floor tile by performing a running jump. This will allow you to raise the gate, return to safety and (if you don't make any mistakes) just make it through the gate.

After that, you are in for a surprise :P
I hope that helps.
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Stuck at level 2.. Got any clues? figuerd the beginning out, but then I came back to the beginning point.. :P
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

In the room above the start door, there is a very important raise button. It opens a door that you will encounter when you venture into the left part of the level. It helps if you push the guard into the spikes, in the room to the left of the beginning.
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Already thought so. But how to reach that button? Seriously, im lost there :P
And what about the guard in the spikes? Doesnt make sense to me..