Can't save games or settings on SDLPoP MacOS

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
KRS
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Can't save games or settings on SDLPoP MacOS

Post by KRS »

Hi there,

I was very pleased to find a MacOS version of SDLPoP, and it seems to work great, apart from the fact that I can't seem to save my game, or save my settings - whenever I try to save the game, I get a message at the bottom of the screen saying "NO QUICKSAVE". Similarly, when I quit the game and reopen it, none of my settings are saved - things like starting in fullscreen, and the aspect ratio go back to the default.

Can anyone assist please? I would hazard a guess that I would need to change something in the SDLPoP.ini file, but I can't seem to find where that's saved.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Can't save games or settings on SDLPoP MacOS

Post by David »

How and where did you install the game?
It's probably in a folder to which you don't have write access.
KRS
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by KRS »

I downloaded the SDLPoP-1.20.dmg file, mounted it, and copied the contents (i.e. the docs folder, the src folder, and the SDLPoP app) to Macintosh HD > Applications > Games > Prince of Persia.
KRS
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by KRS »

OK, I've made some progress - I found the .ini file, and can edit it to save settings, but I can't save the game. If I save using F6, I just get a message saying "NO QUICKSAVE"; if I try and save using ctrl+G, it says "UNABLE TO SAVE GAME".

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to resolve it? Any help gratefully received.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

[Disclaimer: I don't have MacOS. The MacOS port of SDLPoP was compiled by Falcury, he has not posted since 2021.]

You could check if you can create new files in the directory where SDLPoP.ini and the "prince" executable are.

If you can do that, then perhaps the game does not even run from its own directory?
SDLPoP tries to create save game files in the current directory.
That may not even be the directory of the executable, but possibly some system directory.

You can try this if you haven't already:
Open the command line, go to the directory where SDLPoP.ini (and "prince") is. Then try to start the game from there.