How to compile SDLPoP on Windows?

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
DridiSara123
Sheikh
Sheikh

How to compile SDLPoP on Windows?

Post by DridiSara123 »

Hello.

So I use Windows 10 and under Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition I edited the code of SDLPoP from the src folder a bit, saved the code and now I would like to compile it (so that I can run my edited SDLPoP).

In src folder is an executable named build.bat. When I clicked on it, a folder called "out" appeared. And in this folder is: "build\x64-debug" and under debug there are files and CMakeFiles other files under CMakeFiles folder on it where I don't know what to do with it?

As far as Cmake is concerned, I'm still a bit of a beginner. So I need your help on how to compile for Windows.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: How to compile SDLPoP on Windows?

Post by David »

DridiSara123 wrote: June 6th, 2023, 7:49 pm In src folder is an executable named build.bat. When I clicked on it, a folder called "out" appeared. And in this folder is: "build\x64-debug" and under debug there are files
Sorry, I am not familiar with compiling SDLPoP with Visual Studio.
Is there a prince.exe among the files?
Did build.bat display any errors or other messages? You should run it from a console window (command line) so the messages don't disappear when build.bat finishes.
Did you do everything that the readme says?
DridiSara123 wrote: June 6th, 2023, 7:49 pm and CMakeFiles other files under CMakeFiles folder on it where I don't know what to do with it?

As far as Cmake is concerned, I'm still a bit of a beginner. So I need your help on how to compile for Windows.
I am not familiar with CMake either.
However, CMake is separate and different from Visual Studio, you don't need both of them.

I personally use Dev-C++: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP#dev-c
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

You could try using my branch to compile it using Visual Studio (I use Visual Studio 2022 to compile it): https://github.com/FluffyQuack/SDLPoP/tree/FluffyMod

Instructions:
- Edit fluffy-build-step1.bat and ensure the Visual Studio path is correct
- Edit fluffy-build-step2.bat and ensure the path to SDL2 and SDL2-Image is correct (I installed them using VCPKG)
- Start a command prompt instance in the src directory
- Run "fluffy-build-step1.bat"
- Run "fluffy-build-step2.bat debug" (or with "release" argument) to compile it

Note that my branch has a bunch of changes to the game. I added widescreen support, scrolling between rooms, and unfinished multiplayer support. But you could look into fluffy.txt if you want to apply the changes I made to get SDLPoP to compile in VS2022.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

FluffyQuack wrote: June 13th, 2023, 11:38 amunfinished multiplayer support
Interesting to read that.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Post by FluffyQuack »

Norbert wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:13 pm
It's this: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=4821

I haven't worked on it in ages. I think I got to the point where you could use this as a way to race someone and you'd see their character in your game as a "ghost," but they won't affect gameplay in your world in any way.

I was thinking it would be cool to have proper gameplay where each client share the same gameplay simulation state and they can interact with each other, but POP1's source code is structured in a way where it's really painful to modify many parts of it. I think it would be less work in the long run to just re-write POP from scratch with multiplayer in mind. That's basically what I have in mind with this project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4865 - If it gets far enough along, I want to implement full multiplayer to it.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

FluffyQuack wrote: June 13th, 2023, 8:26 pm
Norbert wrote: June 13th, 2023, 6:13 pm
It's this: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=4821
Ah, right.