New tile idea: teleports

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Re: New tile idea: teleports

Post by Shauing »

Does someone have a SDLPoP version with the teleports working? I most likely wanna use the teleports for The Queen Of Light DOS port I'm doing.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

There is an SDLPoP branch with teleports.
https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/tree/teleports
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

dmitry_s wrote: December 19th, 2021, 10:16 pm There is an SDLPoP branch with teleports.
https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/tree/teleports
Yes, but for some reason, the graphics wouldn't load when trying to use them in apoplexy.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Apoplexy does not know how to load tiles with non-standard modifiers. The portals should be displayed in that branch correctly if you set the tiles to correct modifiers.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

New tile idea: teleports

Post by Shauing »

dmitry_s wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:21 am Apoplexy does not know how to load tiles with non-standard modifiers. The portals should be displayed in that branch correctly if you set the tiles to correct modifiers.
How do you do that? Also, it seems that I have to do something in order to have the SDLPoP.exe file.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

This should contain the requested information:
Norbert wrote: September 28th, 2021, 1:32 am
Shauing wrote: September 27th, 2021, 9:09 pmBut how do I use them for my levels?
[...]

Short term:

You'll need an SDLPoP binary (executable file) that provides the teleports. Currently, this functionality is only available in David's teleports branch. You could ask someone to create a binary package for you using that branch. Once you have this suitable SDLPoP, move it into apoplexy's SDLPoP/ directory.

Next, use apoplexy to add teleports. First, place a balcony left. Click the balcony left. This will take you to the tiles screen. On the tiles screen, click the gear icon in the lower right. This will take you to the custom tiles screen. On the custom tiles screen, set the "Modifier" code to 1 or higher, and then press "USE". You have now changed the balcony left to a teleport. Add another teleport with the same "Modifier" code. Save, playtest, etc.

Long term:

[...] If SDLPoP officially includes teleports, then I will add them to apoplexy's native tiles screen. [...]
As for...
Shauing wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:49 amI have to do something in order to have the SDLPoP.exe file.
Either ask someone to create it for you, or compile yourself.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Norbert wrote: December 20th, 2021, 1:27 pm As for...
Shauing wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:49 amI have to do something in order to have the SDLPoP.exe file.
Either ask someone to create it for you, or compile yourself.
Ok, tried to compile it downloading the files that were indicated, but now what?
NowWhat.png
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

SDLPoP could use step-by-step compilation instructions for the Windows platform.
Probably David or dmitry_s (or Falcury) can help you out.
Or maybe teleports will be added to the next official release.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

All right then. Will wait to see if either of them can do something or if it comes on the next release.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

You need to follow those instructions, without a few details (like, instead of new project, you can select directly open "port_release.dev".
I compiled the executable, I'll send it to you on Discord.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

Ok, the graphics aren't loading with the new executable. Here's what I did:
  • I put the new SDLPoP into Apoplexy's folder, along with the new "data", "doc" and "src" folders (I guess only data is useful);
  • I added a teleport balcony. In Apoplexy, the new graphics aren't loading;
  • I put the "prince" folder with the new levelset into SDLPoP's mods folder and change the ini to load that mod: the graphics aren't loading;
  • I tried instead to put the content of prince folder into SDLPoP's main folder, same thing.
Is there something we're missing there?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

VelCheran wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:26 amOk, the graphics aren't loading with the new executable.
Heh, I just tested, and the in-game graphics don't show up for me either.
Now I'm curious how it could work for David, unless maybe he didn't test it?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:57 am
VelCheran wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:26 amOk, the graphics aren't loading with the new executable.
Heh, I just tested, and the in-game graphics don't show up for me either.
Now I'm curious how it could work for David, unless maybe he didn't test it?
I think Apoplexy tries to start SDLPoP from the DOS PoP folder, where the teleport graphics don't exist in VDUNGEON.DAT and VPALACE.DAT .

I don't remember how I tested it.

If you copy the edited LEVELS.DAT to the SDLPoP folder, and start SDLPoP from there, then it should work.

VelCheran wrote: December 21st, 2021, 1:26 am • I put the "prince" folder with the new levelset into SDLPoP's mods folder and change the ini to load that mod: the graphics aren't loading;
• I tried instead to put the content of prince folder into SDLPoP's main folder, same thing.
You need to skip at least VDUNGEON.DAT and/or VPALACE.DAT .
If SDLPoP finds them then they override what's in the data/ folder and the teleport graphics won't be loaded.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

It works, thanks! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Probably certain group+variant combos, that DOS doesn't have anyway, should always load from data/ ?