New tile idea: teleports

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Re: New tile idea: teleports

Post by Shauing »

Been using this teleport branch, and while the teleport thing works wonderful, for some reason a few things that I changed aren't working, such as the raise/drop tiles can make loose tiles fall option. Also Level 3 for some reason is displaying the dungeon color palette despite using the palace assets.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: December 28th, 2021, 10:13 pm Been using this teleport branch, and while the teleport thing works wonderful, for some reason a few things that I changed aren't working, such as the raise/drop tiles can make loose tiles fall option. Also Level 3 for some reason is displaying the dungeon color palette despite using the palace assets.
Could you upload everything needed to reproduce the error?
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

David wrote: December 29th, 2021, 8:10 pm
Shauing wrote: December 28th, 2021, 10:13 pm Been using this teleport branch, and while the teleport thing works wonderful, for some reason a few things that I changed aren't working, such as the raise/drop tiles can make loose tiles fall option. Also Level 3 for some reason is displaying the dungeon color palette despite using the palace assets.
Could you upload everything needed to reproduce the error?
It seems to be the executable only. I'll send it here.
https://we.tl/t-xDlhVdBz4r
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:40 pm It seems to be the executable only. I'll send it here.
https://we.tl/t-xDlhVdBz4r
I tried your prince.exe with the data/ folder from the teleports branch.

The allow_triggering_any_tile option in the INI works for me.

Level 3 uses correct dungeon graphics by default.
If I set level_type = palace in the INI then it uses correct palace graphics.

What are we doing differently?
Did you edit SDLPoP.ini, or did you change the options from the pause menu?

It's just a shot in the dark, but if you have an SDLPoP.cfg, you could try deleting it.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

David wrote: January 1st, 2022, 2:04 pm I tried your prince.exe with the data/ folder from the teleports branch.

The allow_triggering_any_tile option in the INI works for me.

Level 3 uses correct dungeon graphics by default.
If I set level_type = palace in the INI then it uses correct palace graphics.

What are we doing differently?
Did you edit SDLPoP.ini, or did you change the options from the pause menu?

It's just a shot in the dark, but if you have an SDLPoP.cfg, you could try deleting it.
Didn't modify/edit anything (except putting 90 minutes on the clock), but oddly, deleting SDLPoP.cfg did the trick. Perhaps something else got modified in the executable?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: January 1st, 2022, 8:39 pm Didn't modify/edit anything (except putting 90 minutes on the clock), but oddly, deleting SDLPoP.cfg did the trick. Perhaps something else got modified in the executable?
So SDLPoP was loading the options from the .cfg.

SDLPoP should ignore the .cfg if either the .ini or the .exe is newer than the .cfg.
But that didn't happen. Strange.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

To make teleport right easier to recognize (by e.g. software), and for consistency, and to prevent balcony-right-with-0x00 from being ambiguous, perhaps only a balcony right with a non-0x00 variant (modifier) should display the teleport right?
[Edit 1: Or, perhaps even better, only if it is 0x01. Since there's no reason to use more than one variant for this.]
[Edit 2: I've just released apoplexy 3.16, which includes teleports support. It only recognizes+places teleport right with 0x01.]

By the way, SNES teleports are also 0x23; fun coincidence.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: November 13th, 2022, 9:12 pm To make teleport right easier to recognize (by e.g. software), and for consistency, and to prevent balcony-right-with-0x00 from being ambiguous, perhaps only a balcony right with a non-0x00 variant (modifier) should display the teleport right?
[Edit 1: Or, perhaps even better, only if it is 0x01. Since there's no reason to use more than one variant for this.]
[Edit 2: I've just released apoplexy 3.16, which includes teleports support. It only recognizes+places teleport right with 0x01.]
Done: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/commit/ ... 92f7f15b70
I chose to recognize only modifier == 1.
Norbert wrote: November 13th, 2022, 9:12 pm By the way, SNES teleports are also 0x23; fun coincidence.
Indeed.
SNES teleports are hex 0x23, SDLPoP teleports (DOS balconies) are decimal 23.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

When teleporting from + to the same room that has a guard in it, the guard disappears, and reappears upon reentering the room. Not a big deal, just reporting that this is something I noticed.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 4:24 pm When teleporting from + to the same room that has a guard in it, the guard disappears, and reappears upon reentering the room. Not a big deal, just reporting that this is something I noticed.
This bug is similar to these bugs:
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: April 16th, 2020, 9:34 am 2. Why does the guard disappear when we enter the same room through a broken room link? Is the room redrawn without the guard or something like that?
David wrote: April 18th, 2020, 12:04 pm By the way, the same happens if you switch to a room which contains a guard (using H,J,U,N in cheat mode) then you enter that room.
Here are two variations of a fix: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/commit/ ... 7364e16283

The fix is disabled by default, you need to enable either variation in config.h.