Online multiplayer

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Online multiplayer

Post by FluffyQuack »

I started experimenting with some basic multiplayer support. Right now I'm only keeping players in sync and nothing else. That way, it works pretty well for racing through the game as you can see exactly where the other players are related to you. It would be cool to have everything be in sync, but that would involve a lot of work and I'm not sure if that's something I'm going to do.

I'm also working on a system where different princes will have different colours (in the below screenshots that system is very unfinished).

There are a billion small things to fix, but I've got a version of the multiplayer up and running:
prince-fluffymod 2021-12-13 20-01-40-572.png

And here's what my desktop looked like with 8 instances of the game running at the same time:
princes-of-persia.png
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Online multiplayer

Post by FluffyQuack »

Did more work with the colours. Now it's possible for every prince to have their own unique colour.

I also did one rather subtle change that you can see if you look at the princes on the left. I made it so different princes occupy different "lanes" or Y positions on tiles. That way you have multiple princes on the same tile but it doesn't look like they're literally on top of each other. I think it works well with the kind of perspective the game uses.
prince-fluffymod 2021-12-14 01-35-44-633.png
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Online multiplayer

Post by Norbert »

Keep up the good work.

In case you haven't seen this already, please check:
https://www.popot.org/documentation/doc ... player.txt
(Editor apoplexy already supports that experimental standard.)

I'm also working on multiplayer for SDLPoP, intermittently:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4802
Although, in my case, the probability of success is incredibly low.