Super high jump

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: Super high jump

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Yes, if enabling the flag is difficult, I'll just keep the old source code and remember this change for future mods.
The reason I think enabling the flag is important, and that it shouldn't , is because it'll snatch away the possibility to create puzzles. For example, look at this picture:

screenshot_008.png

Take a look at Room 2. It requires the player to climb to the top floor from the bottom row. The rightmost tile on the top floor is actually a fake tile which looks like an empty space but is a normal tile (and that's why you can't hijump from the right side). Another way to climb up to the top floor is to climb from the left side, but since the 6th tile from the left on the bottom row is a lose tile, it'll be knocked over, that means you can't use that to hijump directly. And the only possible way is to go the to left (near the spikes) and then do a hijump, land on the torch tile on the top row and then jump to the right. (Thereby making it a kind of timing puzzle, since you also need the floaty potion effect to be able to hijump from room 2 to room 3).

If the change is implemented, it'll be easy to just jump directly from the rightmost part from the 7th tile from the left from the bottom row. There should be more such cases too, and that's why I think it's good if the change is implemented as a flag (since it can be enabled or disabled and the decision can be left to the modder).

The floating potion will be highly overpowered with this change and the player can jump anywhere, anyhow which doesn't make sense. If there are certain limitations then it's more fun since there can be a lot of puzzles added into the level.

Hope it's making sense? :D
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Re: Super high jump

Post by dmitry_s »

I can see how it affects the mod.

But on the right side you had to use a fake tile to avoid the jump already. A better solution might be to create a fake floor tile that cannot be grabbed from below (checked in the jump_up method).