SDLPoP v1.20 release

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

SDLPoP v1.20 release

Post by David »

Here is SDLPoP v1.20, attached to the post.
The ZIP contains the Windows binaries and the source as usual.
I didn't include the SDL2_mixer and ogg/vorbis DLLs, because SDLPoP uses stb_vorbis.c instead, since v1.18.

The list of changes since the last release can be found here: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/v1 ... #L528-L541

I marked this version with a tag as usual: https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/releases
Attachments
SDLPoP_v1.20_release.zip
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 269 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: SDLPoP v1.20 release

Post by Norbert »

Nice.

For those of you who want to use it with apoplexy:
You can simply delete the SDLPoP/ directory from apoplexy, then apoplexy will (re)download SDLPoP version 1.20 for you.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Super!
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

4DPlayer wrote: October 13th, 2019, 11:28 pmSuper!
New version 1.20-removed glitches with tiles, but I want to check on the MOD - 194 temple of Chaos-it is necessary to re-pass the level, and the preservation does not help, the glitch remains the same....not opening?!

Question! Norbert and David! Could you tell me, and can be to remove at all string time??? To not in sight what level of or time? In the menu to do it or in the settings?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

YURA wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:41 pm New version 1.20-removed glitches with tiles, but I want to check on the MOD - 194 temple of Chaos-it is necessary to re-pass the level, and the preservation does not help, the glitch remains the same....not opening?!
On which level, what does not open?
Is it the chomper at the end of this video?
What should open it?
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

David wrote: October 19th, 2019, 1:19 pm
YURA wrote: October 14th, 2019, 3:41 pm New version 1.20-removed glitches with tiles, but I want to check on the MOD - 194 temple of Chaos-it is necessary to re-pass the level, and the preservation does not help, the glitch remains the same....not opening?!
On which level, what does not open?
Is it the chomper at the end of this video?
What should open it?
I think a blue potion should open it? I don’t know for sure, but all I know is that in the video, Prince drinks a blue potion and then you hear a gate close instead of a chopper chomp.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: October 19th, 2019, 2:58 pm I think a blue potion should open it? I don’t know for sure, but all I know is that in the video, Prince drinks a blue potion and then you hear a gate close instead of a chopper chomp.
Thank you.
What you wrote happens at 8:55, in room 5.

Now, according to the blue potion flowchart, the tile in room 8 (the chomper) is not triggered if the event determined by its modifier is stuck.
The tile is a stuck chomper, with modifier = 2.
Modifier 2 is event 3 in Apoplexy.
That event is triggered by a button in room 18.
And that event gets stuck at 1:42 when the loose floor breaks on the button.
The blue potion opens the chomper only if the button is *not* broken.
However, as I see it, it's not possible to reach any opener potion without breaking that button.
I'm wondering if the author (SuavePrince) has even tested if the level could be completed.

This behavior is not limited to SDLPoP: The original game does the same as well.

For those who want to test this: Edit the level so the prince starts in room 5.
From there room 8 is 1×left, 1×down; room 18 is 4×left, 3×down.
You can break the loose floor in room 18 by killing the guard with K.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: October 19th, 2019, 4:27 pm
4DPlayer wrote: October 19th, 2019, 2:58 pm I think a blue potion should open it? I don’t know for sure, but all I know is that in the video, Prince drinks a blue potion and then you hear a gate close instead of a chopper chomp.
Thank you.
What you wrote happens at 8:55, in room 5.

Now, according to the blue potion flowchart, the tile in room 8 (the chomper) is not triggered if the event determined by its modifier is stuck.
The tile is a stuck chomper, with modifier = 2.
Modifier 2 is event 3 in Apoplexy.
That event is triggered by a button in room 18.
And that event gets stuck at 1:42 when the loose floor breaks on the button.
The blue potion opens the chomper only if the button is *not* broken.
However, as I see it, it's not possible to reach any opener potion without breaking that button.
I'm wondering if the author (SuavePrince) has even tested if the level could be completed.

This behavior is not limited to SDLPoP: The original game does the same as well.

For those who want to test this: Edit the level so the prince starts in room 5.
From there room 8 is 1×left, 1×down; room 18 is 4×left, 3×down.
You can break the loose floor in room 18 by killing the guard with K.
To summarize non-technically what David writes:
If a E:3 button gets stuck (loose floor or guard on it), then these special blue potions don't work on stuck chompers.
And in room 18, you drop a loose floor on E:3.
So, one fix is to change E:3 to another number.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Norbert wrote: October 19th, 2019, 5:51 pm
To summarize non-technically what David writes:
If a E:3 button gets stuck (loose floor or guard on it), then these special blue potions don't work on stuck chompers.
And in room 18, you drop a loose floor on E:3.
So, one fix is to change E:3 to another number.
This will work, but Suave Prince already changed level 1 of Temple Of Chaos.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I noticed that the screenshots on PoPOT's SDLPoP page don't show any text in the title bar. Why is this?
Did you set WINDOW_TITLE to an empty string, or did you configure your window manager like that?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:58 pmI noticed that the screenshots on PoPOT's SDLPoP page don't show any text in the title bar. Why is this?
You have a keen eye for detail. I manually removed that text. If I recall correctly, my reasoning was that future versions won't alter what's shown, and this way the images will never appear outdated. If something ever does change, I'll update them. Of course, if you want any changes made to that page - images or otherwise, I'll modify whatever you want.
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

Norbert wrote: November 9th, 2019, 7:23 pm
David wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:58 pmI noticed that the screenshots on PoPOT's SDLPoP page don't show any text in the title bar. Why is this?
You have a keen eye for detail. I manually removed that text. If I recall correctly, my reasoning was that future versions won't alter what's shown, and this way the images will never appear outdated. If something ever does change, I'll update them. Of course, if you want any changes made to that page - images or otherwise, I'll modify whatever you want.
Tell me, is an improved version 1.21 or the like expected? I would not like to experience glitches with tiles and change E:3...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

YURA wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:37 pm Tell me, is an improved version 1.21 or the like expected? I would not like to experience glitches with tiles and change E:3...
Use the latest version of the Temple of Chaos mod, which replaces the problematic chomper and blue potion with a gate and a floorplate.
(And it probably fixes other things as well.)
YURA
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by YURA »

David wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:00 pm
YURA wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:37 pm Tell me, is an improved version 1.21 or the like expected? I would not like to experience glitches with tiles and change E:3...
Use the latest version of the Temple of Chaos mod, which replaces the problematic chomper and blue potion with a gate and a floorplate.
(And it probably fixes other things as well.)
Thank you for the advice, I'll try to go through level 1 again and see.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Here is a macOS build of SDLPoP 1.20.
Runs on 10.6 and higher.
Attachments
SDLPoP-1.20.dmg
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 108 times