New tile ideas

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Re: New tile ideas

Post by dmitry_s »

Shauing wrote: December 30th, 2021, 1:06 am Not sure if this is a tile related thing, but what about guards that can fall to other rooms like the skeleton does throughout the entire game?
I have done that in my mod.

Skeleton does not really fall down into the other room. Just like most guards in falls into an invisible row 4 and dies. But there is hardcoded logic that creates a new skeleton in the room below.

What I have done is if the guard ends up there the logic sets a timer based on the fall speed formula and sees whether the guard should land dead or alive on the tile below based on how long he is falling. Also, guards will follow you into the room below by moving them from the bottom invisible row on the room above to the top invisible row of the room below if the tile below is not a wall or a floor.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Norbert wrote: December 30th, 2021, 12:49 am Being able to mix skeletons that do and don't rise in levels sounds interesting. Also, so far, only variant (modifier) 0x00 is in use there, so lots of room for expansion. Loud gates, I'm not sure if they would serve any real purpose. Regardless, only variants 0x00-0x02 are in use there, so why not. Totally loose tiles are essentially fake tiles, which is a native tile already available to SDLPoP modders. Interaction with them would be visually different though, so... sure. Only variant 0x00 is in use here. I probably like some of the other ideas in this thread more than the above, but mostly I'm waiting to see what ends up in official SDLPoP releases, and will add support for that in apoplexy.
Totally loose tiles can be used to kill guards (with a bit of additional logic) if you shake the ceiling. They also fall down if you jump up and down unlike fake tiles.

Loud gates simply give you a point of reference of where the gate when you have limited time to make it.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Hmm, is there a way to make loose tiles that you can walk on them but not climb on them? I have only managed to do the former and look like normal tiles by choosing 'y' on the mod portion of the custom tiles window, however they're still climbable.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

Shauing wrote: January 1st, 2022, 9:44 pm Hmm, is there a way to make loose tiles that you can walk on them but not climb on them? I have only managed to do the former and look like normal tiles by choosing 'y' on the mod portion of the custom tiles window, however they're still climbable.
In the code you can a function that makes a loose tile fall in the grab() function.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I completed an implementation of the skeleton logic using the modifier byte. 1 = skeleton rises any time, 2 = skeleton rises when the level door is opened. It needs more testing.

The first 2 dead skeletons in the first room disappear when the another one rises because there is only 1 slot for the guard. That would not be a problem without a chomper, if you have to push skeleton into the chasm.

In the second room skeleton only rises if the level door is opened.

In the the third room skeleton does not rise until you step over the chomper.

Skeletons only rise if there is no active guard already.

The code can be found here.
https://github.com/dstarosta/SDLPoP/com ... 01fa61b14c
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

The following idea goes beyond just a new tile idea, but this should be a suitable enough forum topic for this post. I was thinking about Jekyll-and-Hyde-like gameplay, where every now and then the entire level slightly changes. For example, you play through the original game, but every half a minute or so, the screen becomes darker (e.g. torch shadows enabled) and while the prince remains at the same location in-level and can continue playing, a variant of the level is loaded into memory that has more traps throughout the level. After a while, the original level is loaded back into memory, the screen becomes brighter; this cycle continues.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:12 pm I was thinking about Jekyll-and-Hyde-like gameplay, where every now and then the entire level slightly changes. For example, you play through the original game, but every half a minute or so, the screen becomes darker (e.g. torch shadows enabled) and while the prince remains at the same location in-level and can continue playing, a variant of the level is loaded into memory that has more traps throughout the level. After a while, the original level is loaded back into memory, the screen becomes brighter; this cycle continues.
Interestingly, something similar happens in Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, on Vision 5-2.
It's appropriately titled "Between Light and Darkness".

When it's dark, enemies become invincible. Plus an additional enemy appears, following the player.
When it's light, some platforms become tiny, and the player falls through them.
These happen only in "outdoor" areas.

Here is a video of the level: https://youtu.be/QXlfFT-C_Rs?t=66
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

David wrote: May 21st, 2022, 8:02 pm Interestingly, something similar happens in Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, on Vision 5-2.
It's appropriately titled "Between Light and Darkness".

When it's dark, enemies become invincible. Plus an additional enemy appears, following the player.
When it's light, some platforms become tiny, and the player falls through them.
These happen only in "outdoor" areas.

Here is a video of the level: https://youtu.be/QXlfFT-C_Rs?t=66
The Maharaja Palace mod has a similar level where skeleton's behavior changes between light and dark modes.
https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000265
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

dmitry_s wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 4:11 am The Maharaja Palace mod has a similar level where skeleton's behavior changes between light and dark modes.
https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000265
Indeed, I even played this level!
Though in this mod, the mode changes not after a certain time, but when you drink certain potions.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 12:29 am5. Swords that can be collected, and a gate that only opens if a certain number of swords were collected.
Or simply coins, and that the level door requires a certain number of coins to be collected.
This would force players to reach certain sections of the map.
One example mod could be the original PoP1, but then with coins in locations that players generally avoid.
Attachments
spinning_coin_spritesheet.png
spinning_coin_spritesheet.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 4437 times