New tile ideas

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Re: New tile ideas

Post by dmitrys »

I will once I ensure there are no bugs.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

dmitrys wrote: May 8th, 2021, 5:14 am I will once I ensure there are no bugs.
If you do, perhaps you're willing to also pick an unused potion variant (modifier) value, which would subsequently allow me to add your new potion to apoplexy's native tiles screen. That is, if I'm understanding correctly that you hope to introduce, via pull request, an additional customization option to SDLPoP in the shape of a new potion type.
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

Norbert wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:04 am
dmitrys wrote: May 8th, 2021, 5:14 am I will once I ensure there are no bugs.
If you do, perhaps you're willing to also pick an unused potion variant (modifier) value, which would subsequently allow me to add your new potion to apoplexy's native tiles screen. That is, if I'm understanding correctly that you hope to introduce, via pull request, an additional customization option to SDLPoP in the shape of a new potion type.
Does it make sense to have a separate potion for this feature? It was designed to work with a floaty potion but was never fully implemented.

Code: Select all

LABEL(superhijump) // superhijump (when weightless)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Maybe in my opinion you can have another potion which can be used to only jump super high if it can also be implemented in DOSBox. If not, maybe just a flag #ENABLE_SUPER_HIJUMP in SDLPoP is fine too. Or maybe both? I'm confused too.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 3:40 am Maybe in my opinion you can have another potion which can be used to only jump super high if it can also be implemented in DOSBox. If not, maybe just a flag #ENABLE_SUPER_HIJUMP in SDLPoP is fine too. Or maybe both? I'm confused too.
That is a very good point. The way super high jump is implemented in the DOS version would be really buggy even if David or someone could add conditional logic to use a different seqtbl entry. It requires a timer as well as additional logic to work correctly. You need different behavior if the top tile is a floor vs wall vs loose tile vs empty (or non-floor) tile. Grabbing abilities require action changes at the top of the jump. There are also some nuances if you jump from an edge of a room to the right that causes the room to change. An additional potion would also require changes to a few methods. So the realistic answer is no.

An SDLPoP flag that hooks into the floating mode is what I am thinking.
dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:14 am You should really send a pull request to SDLPoP.
Done. https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/pull/251

The PR ended up pretty extensive to deal with edge cases:
- Ensuring guards do not disappear when you hang to a tile in the room above on row 2.
- Lattice tiles should be drawn in the front table instead of the back table so prince does not jump "in front" of them. It gets even tricker with the lattice specific door top as the side of it and the lattice part are the same image so character clipping had to be used.
- If the top tile is an empty tile and it is possible to grab a tile to the right, the sequence had to be changed to free fall so kid can grab it. At the same time there should not any horizontal fall movement.
- The default sequence table makes kid jump into the floor/wall of the top room.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Thanks dmitry!
I've spent my Sunday - downloading the pull request files and creating an easy mod which uses this super hijump.
The feature really looks good, and I hope it gets stable and maybe David can do some bug fixes (if found any) and approve the PR and merge with the master so that I can release the mod.
I've created 3.5 levels and most likely I'll release the first five levels for now.

Edit: Btw, I had to enable all the fixes. Is there any way I can keep the default behaviour, but just enable a single fix?

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

I followed the standard fix/enhancement pattern. You should be able to set "use_fixes_and_enhancements" and "enable_super_high_jump" to "true" in the INI file. The rest of options under the [Enhancements] section would be set to "false".
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

A new kind of spikes which don't get pressed after lose tile false on it. I just checked: you can change the modifier of the lose tile, you can also change the modifier of the spike. I would suggest if the modifier of the spike is same as the modifier of the lose tile, the spikes won't go away if lose tile falls on it.

dmitry_s
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitry_s »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 4:09 am A new kind of spikes which don't get pressed after lose tile false on it. I just checked: you can change the modifier of the lose tile, you can also change the modifier of the spike. I would suggest if the modifier of the spike is same as the modifier of the lose tile, the spikes won't go away if lose tile falls on it.
You would have to introduce a modifier value to distinguish that type of spikes that does not interfere with existing tile modifiers and add conditional logic to return from the function in this case statement.

https://github.com/NagyD/SDLPoP/blob/98 ... 07.c#L1071

You can also put additional tiles like the sword there which can make it more challenging to get it.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Is there a way to make the teleport and crusher tiles, which are the main ones I want to adapt for my port of The Queen Of Light.
Perhaps for the teleporter one, it can be just like going upstairs to finish a level but instead of that, the tile sends you to a different room from the same level.
And maybe the crusher one could have the hitbox similar of the spikes when fully out and move from top to bottom similar to the chomper but covering the whole tile instead of the spikes.
But how can both be implemented?
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Shauing wrote: September 26th, 2021, 10:02 amPerhaps for the teleporter one, it can be just like going upstairs to finish a level but instead of that, the tile sends you to a different room from the same level.
Subsequent posts about the teleports have been split into a separate topic.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Some ideas suggested by dmitry_s:
dmitry_s wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmTotally loose tiles (as in PoP2 ruins or in my mod on level 11) [...]
dmitry_s wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmLoud gates (can be heard from other rooms). Currently the room and the gate position is hard-coded and it only applies to the first gate on level 3.
dmitry_s wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmSkeleton tiles can also be modified [...] to have skeletons rise on skeleton levels. It can have 2 values - when the level door is open or at any time.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: December 30th, 2021, 12:21 am Some ideas suggested by dmitry_s:
dmitry_s wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmTotally loose tiles (as in PoP2 ruins or in my mod on level 11) [...]
dmitry_s wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmLoud gates (can be heard from other rooms). Currently the room and the gate position is hard-coded and it only applies to the first gate on level 3.
dmitry_s wrote: December 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmSkeleton tiles can also be modified [...] to have skeletons rise on skeleton levels. It can have 2 values - when the level door is open or at any time.
Being able to mix skeletons that do and don't rise in levels sounds interesting. Also, so far, only variant (modifier) 0x00 is in use there, so lots of room for expansion. Loud gates, I'm not sure if they would serve any real purpose. Regardless, only variants 0x00-0x02 are in use there, so why not. Totally loose tiles are essentially fake tiles, which is a native tile already available to SDLPoP modders. Interaction with them would be visually different though, so... sure. Only variant 0x00 is in use here. I probably like some of the other ideas in this thread more than the above, but mostly I'm waiting to see what ends up in official SDLPoP releases, and will add support for that in apoplexy.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Not sure if this is a tile related thing, but what about guards that can fall to other rooms like the skeleton does throughout the entire game?
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174